Use of CB-radio during Berget 2013

Discuss about all kinds of radio`s sutable for airsoft games.
declaude
Newbee
Newbee

Use of CB-radio during Berget 2013

Post by declaude » 03 Nov 2012, 14:55

Hello.
I am going to Berget next year and i am curious about the rules regarding communication-equipment.
Is 27 mhz lisence-free radios allowed?
And is there any rules in textform to read?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, i am a newbee.
Ham-signature: LA1HUA

NL_Lexxie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Use of CB-radio during Berget 2013

Post by NL_Lexxie » 03 Nov 2012, 17:17

Hi Declaude,

CB radio's are allowed but not used by many people, PMR and LPD is mainly used for comms. With the puxing radio's around you have 4-5 watt output. Some people even put radio's whit a higher output in their vehicle.

Cheers

declaude
Newbee
Newbee

Post by declaude » 03 Nov 2012, 18:01

Ah ok, thanks for the reply!
The plan is to use a norwegian ex-military HF manpack radio (NO/PRC-111) against a stationary-portable setup at the HQ.
And the Bowman PRR for intra-squad communication.
Our intentions is to keep in touch with HQ at all times via radio, relatively independent of distance.
But is there no written rules for this? Would be nice to know for sure that our setup is good to go according to the rules.
Yes, i am a newbee.

Waldo
Captain
Captain

Post by Waldo » 03 Nov 2012, 18:45

The frequencies are normally posted a few weeks before gamestart. Usually the official Berget channels for the HQ and the main units are the PMR channels. LPD and CB is something you can use for intersquad/interconvoy comms. When we go by the law, you are only allowed to use the free public freqs (unless you have a license/permit); but reallife shows that a lot of people use non-public freqs (but please stay away from the emergency channels!)
B9: Pol. 320th Arty - Coy Cmd
B10: 45th Mountaineer Sappers ("Sapperneers") - Wiley 2-2
B11-B13: Serving the country
B14: UPIR - Righteous Employee

Ober-Lix
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Ober-Lix » 04 Nov 2012, 13:04

The question on CB radios 27 Mhz is it AM or FM you want to use. What ever is legal in Sweden, I can´t say. Should the area be very hilly, your CB is not so useful and sideband is probebly illegal anyway. :?
B6 2nd Bat. CO NATO
B7 Batallion CO Milo´s Tigers
B8 Batallion CO NAF 5th Infantry
B9. Batallion CO NAF 1st Mech
B10 R&R
B11 lets see
War is the continuation of politics by other means. (Klausewitz)

JKangas
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JKangas » 04 Nov 2012, 13:52

For what it is worth, seriously consider just using cell phones for long-range comms. Reliable and cheap with pre-paids.

On the other hand I am curious about how have CB radios traditionally worked in Härnosand hilly terrain? Anyone with experience? Is it of any help if one uses a dipole or a quarter-wavelength antenna in base? Or are remote mobiles anyway out of comms as they go beyond few hills?

On the topic of Puxings and 4-5W transmission power...to start with they are not legal, as PMR specification does not allow that high output. This does not trouble me much in the legal sense :) On the other hand, high power output completely blocks all other PMRs in the same channel in the vicinity, while increased power does not really give you that much additional range. (400+ MHz freq does not drill through hills anyway with all the interference.)

IMO, PMRs would be much better used strictly as team radios with specced max 500 mW power and subchannels. As long as there are hi-power chinese radios in the game, you can be guaranteed to be overrun if you use ordinary PMR radios. (Subchannels are not of help as they do not work with high interference.)
B8: 1st Poldavian, 1st Coy, Fox Sq. 3
B9: The Firm, Zansian Sq. K, Pizza Delivery Guy
B10: Zansian 1st Coy, Alpha Pl, 1st Sq.
B11: Raven Guerilla Mursu Coy, Alpha Pl, Alpha Sq.
B13: Ikaros Mursu Coy, 1st Pl, 1st Sq. "Front Squat - Etukyykky"
B15: NAF FINBAT Air Cav, Fox 3 Pl.

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 04 Nov 2012, 15:34

PMR 8 channels are used as squad and platoon level coms. LPD channels are used for platoon and above. So no, people should not be using 4-5 watt radioes on the regular PMR 446 channels.
Last edited by Tiger_1 on 04 Nov 2012, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
"go to your God like a soldier!"

declaude
Newbee
Newbee

Post by declaude » 04 Nov 2012, 15:35

Ober-Lix wrote:The question on CB radios 27 Mhz is it AM or FM you want to use. What ever is legal in Sweden, I can´t say. Should the area be very hilly, your CB is not so useful and sideband is probebly illegal anyway. :?
Actually i have to correct the last sentence :D The rules have been changed and sideband is now allowed to use in the 11-meter band. Not shure about AM in sweden though, but in norway only people with CB-lisence (required back in the 70,80,90's) are allowed to use this.

To be more specific, the plan is to use a 5/8 wavelength Sirio Tornado antenna, about 6-8 meter above the
ground (sectional steelmast, 1.5 meter each). The thought is that if we have a good enough reseption and no/low interference it will work pretty well.
Tranciever will probably be a Maas DX-5000 running either on a 12 volt battery or via 220 volt psu.

The manpack radio is a NO/PRC-111 (clean HF, no crypto ofc.), 10-160 meter USB/CW.
Antenna is a whip tuned by manual integrated tuner. I also have a multiband antenna (AT-77N) but it is quite big and not idèal for 11-meter (Dipol for 10-160, using traps).

Yes, i am a newbee.