fps

Feel free to talk about things regarding airsoft.
Jaffa007
Newbee
Newbee

fps

Post by Jaffa007 » 14 Jul 2009, 23:36

is 260 fps ( 80 m/s ) enought for a AEG rifle ? i mean like on a Berget event?

Touko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Touko » 15 Jul 2009, 11:33

Possibly, for limited roles / situations.

Here's how it goes (in my opinion): You are going to have an accurate, effective range of ~ 40m where tuned up AEG:s (full auto and within rule limits) have accurate, effective range of ~ 65m. This means that once the fighting begins you are going to have to be within that 40m pocket to hit you opponents with any certainty, while they can pick you out from further away.

Also, there are going to be sniper rifles (both semi and bolt action) that have ranges over double of your range. These are however a bit rarer, so they are not your main concern.

So. If you think your skills are up to the challenge, go with m80 (80m/s on 0,2g) AEG. You'll be giving an advantage to your opponents, but depending on the situation the gun might be quite good enough as long as its reliable. You can still act as part of a team and you can do a lot of things with that gun. There are however going to be times, where (given that you do not play a special civilian role) you are going to shout your teammates for help because "I can't hit that far".

Berget is about fun, and you can have a lot of fun trying to stalk up to an enemy (cause you can't just hit from further away). I'd pick another better AEG for Berget and leave the m80 as backup in camp (in case the primary gun breaks). It's not only that the m80 is a bit of an underdog, but also: never ever come with just one gun to Berget, because your gun might break the 1st day and then you'd be throwing rocks for the rest of the event!
B7 - SRP / Tiger Coy / "Hammer" Plt / 2nd Sqd
B8 - Poldavian 1st Inf Batt / 1st Coy / 3rd "Hammer" Plt Ldr
B9 - The Firm / Zanzian Black Ops "N02"
B10 - Zansia / 2nd Coy / Echo Plt Ldr E9

Trasher-HU
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Trasher-HU » 15 Jul 2009, 12:43

Last year, I had a 270fps AEG, it was OK. This year, 360fps AEGs, they worked perfectly.

Never felt undergunned, but as said, it depends on the gaming style and experience.

The lower the fps, the less likely that your rifle will break down, suck the battery dry at the worst moment, etc.

Always bring a backup.
B6 - NATO, Fox2, mech QRF
B7 - Orlov mercs, Bravo2, medic
B8 - Poldav 3rd Mtn, mech QRF driver
B9 - Poldav 3rd Mtn. recon, Romeo-2 SL
B10 - Poldav 21st Mech Sappers, SL

Jutila_P
Newbee
Newbee

Post by Jutila_P » 15 Jul 2009, 13:25

I played with a 305fps (93m/s) gun through Berget 7. Since my role was recon I always opened fire at the enemy first when I shot, so I had no problem playing with that gun.

I deliberately took a pair of low powered guns to the game so I wouldn't have to worry about safety distances.

My backup was a 350fps (107m/s) gun.

So for a recon role at least a low powered AEG is fine. Then again I'd like to have more power for defending my home base, since the choice of my firing position would be limited.

PS. My 8,4V 1100mAh chinese-made battery lasted for the whole event.
Berget 7 - SRP, Rat 3

Ukkolzi
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Ukkolzi » 15 Jul 2009, 16:12

Sure, the upgrades give you some benefits in maximum range, but I don't think it's worth losing the ability to fire at close targets in dense bush, rocky terrain, city fighting or some surprise situations. And as said, a "stock" gun is probably more reliable than most upgraded ones.

80m/s gun is probably OK if it has a Marui quality hop-up.

Panzergraf
Major
Major

Post by Panzergraf » 15 Jul 2009, 18:34

Yeah, with high or low power, just make sure you have a decent hopup.
It matters more for range than power.