The BAVS during B10

Feedback and debriefings from Berget 10
Berget-events
Berget Crew & Site Admin
Berget Crew & Site Admin

The BAVS during B10

Post by Berget-events » 14 Jul 2012, 19:25

Some players complained that the BAVS did not work in some situations. And we have come to the conclution that most of those situations was becouse player carowners sometimes did not restart their bavs unit after being shot out. (Restart = unplugging battery to get hit-unit to recover hitpoints. )

We have tested all returned BAVS hit and fire units before storing them and all worked fine.

However:
We will fix this to next year by adding a auto reboot function, so this is done automatically.
Berget-events

Please send general questions to:
info@berget-events.com

Please send payment questions to:
payment@berget-events.com

jdoe
Captain
Captain

Post by jdoe » 15 Jul 2012, 02:42

Excellent. It is good to know what the problem was. I also think, at some cases, the lower vegetation and branches might have done some distortion.

Also, if next year is a big game like this year, PLEASE make sure you got enough BAVS firing units available at the Berget Shop. And PLEASE don't sell over your stores!
B16 - The Firm / Gun for hire
B15 - CPT/HQ/FinBat
B10 - 1st Coy CO / Zansian "Black Guard" Btn XO
B8 - I/1.Coy/1st Pold.Inf, Platoon Ldr (Fox 1-0)
B7 - SRP Fox Platoon 2IC/Arty FO
B5 - FFF Oulu Platoon Ldr

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 15 Jul 2012, 09:35

The BAVS system had one major improvement this year, it seemed there was enought recivers.

One thing that might have to be conidered in the future, is a limit to how many fire units each faction can have, a system that looks after that a first come first serve mentality does not dictates who gets the 40mm that are ordered.

Mec is fun. But if every in squad in the game has a 40mm I doubt a lot of guys will make the long drive to join the game...

A set nr pr faction, and the people who book them get them. Then a set nr of AT-4 handed out to each factions commander to hand out as needed.
"go to your God like a soldier!"

Trasher-HU
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Trasher-HU » 15 Jul 2012, 19:26

As reported in another thread, we had a run in with a NAF player using the 40mm BAVS. He accused our team of cheating, that our unit is unplugged. Luckily we made some test and he was unable to trigger the IR sensor even from 10 meters. His 40mm only worked from about 2-3 meters. :shock:
B6 - NATO, Fox2, mech QRF
B7 - Orlov mercs, Bravo2, medic
B8 - Poldav 3rd Mtn, mech QRF driver
B9 - Poldav 3rd Mtn. recon, Romeo-2 SL
B10 - Poldav 21st Mech Sappers, SL

jdoe
Captain
Captain

Post by jdoe » 15 Jul 2012, 19:49

It was also interesting to see some vehicles where the receiver was rigged so that the gunner would totally block it from front sectors.

Photos can be seen at the B10 media thread, but I don't want to link them. Anyone interested will find them easily.
B16 - The Firm / Gun for hire
B15 - CPT/HQ/FinBat
B10 - 1st Coy CO / Zansian "Black Guard" Btn XO
B8 - I/1.Coy/1st Pold.Inf, Platoon Ldr (Fox 1-0)
B7 - SRP Fox Platoon 2IC/Arty FO
B5 - FFF Oulu Platoon Ldr

Mr.Ghost
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Mr.Ghost » 15 Jul 2012, 20:17

jdoe, +1.
BAVS sensor SHOULD be visible from all directions. Saw myself several cars with sensor rigged inappropriately low.
They have NOT killed Kenny. Bastards! ;-)

vinni
Colonel
Colonel

Post by vinni » 15 Jul 2012, 20:51

would it be an option to place a sensor on each corner of the roof of the car? that wouls solve that issue right away
B6: NATO
B7: Orlov Corp
B8: Poldavian III Mntrs
B9: Poldavian III Mntrs
BX: Poldavian BRF
BXI: Blood Raven Recon
BXII: Blood Raven CO
BXIII: Cerberus BAT CO
BXIV: UPIR Senior Management
BXV: UPIR HQ resident cripple
BXVI: UPIR old fart
BXVII: GFM HQ
BXVIII: GFM HQ

soderstr
Private
Private

Post by soderstr » 16 Jul 2012, 00:15

Based on our experience in B9 our team (consisting of two squads) decided to order 40 mm BAVS. We rented four grenades but when we went to pick them up we got nothing. We did, however, get our money back.

I can understand that mech units would not like to see too many equipped with BAVS as it would make the use of vehicles more difficult. Still, you have to remember that in real life even tanks require protection by infantry in forest environment. There should be a real but balanced risk of getting shot when you drive to areas not controlled by friendly forces.

What now happened several times was that we were encountering vehicles we could not harm in any way. I felt that the vehicles could just drive through our lines freely. It even happened once on the road leading to the NAF base that POL vehicles were not stopping at mines laid on the road as they probably did not even notice them (GM was contacted and the drivers notified).

I agree that not everybody should have BAVS and it should be made sure that all sides get enough. Also, BE should make sure that they have them items they promise at the shop.
B9: The Firm/Zansian Black Ops, Charlie
B10: Zansian "Black guard" Infantry Battalion, Bravo
B11: GCT SFODU, Victor
B12: Orlov Mercs, Infantry, Alpha
B13: GCT Sappers & Engineers, 1st Platoon
B14: NAF, Infantry, Bravo
B15: NAF, Mechanized, FinBat, Lynx 1

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 16 Jul 2012, 10:13

The real life thing is true, but when BAVS works, it's effectiveness is somewhat higher the real life systems. You only have to carry one BAVS AT-4 to get 10 shots, real life would not provide that. So BAVS systems have to be limited if mec is to have any role in game. I do not believe players will bring all the cool gunships we see at games now if the second they encounter an inf squad, five car are taken out by 40mm gunners.

It does feel bad having to run from cars, but I am afraid armour still has a shock value in the real world also, the only way we can simulate that with any chance of it being fun is by making cars a bit harder to kill.
"go to your God like a soldier!"

Trasher-HU
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Trasher-HU » 16 Jul 2012, 10:55

Tiger_1 wrote:You only have to carry one BAVS AT-4 to get 10 shots, real life would not provide that.
Not to mention that those AT-4s can be reset by basically anyone with bad intention to fire unlimited amount of shots...
B6 - NATO, Fox2, mech QRF
B7 - Orlov mercs, Bravo2, medic
B8 - Poldav 3rd Mtn, mech QRF driver
B9 - Poldav 3rd Mtn. recon, Romeo-2 SL
B10 - Poldav 21st Mech Sappers, SL

soderstr
Private
Private

Post by soderstr » 16 Jul 2012, 11:51

Tiger_1 wrote:It does feel bad having to run from cars, but I am afraid armour still has a shock value in the real world also, the only way we can simulate that with any chance of it being fun is by making cars a bit harder to kill.
Very true. According to the current rule, however, the vehicles used by players not armoured. Only trustees or GMs can operate armoured vehichles or tanks. Therefore, infantry should be able to stop the normal vehicles.

Another question is if some armoured cars should be allowed to be used by players.
B9: The Firm/Zansian Black Ops, Charlie
B10: Zansian "Black guard" Infantry Battalion, Bravo
B11: GCT SFODU, Victor
B12: Orlov Mercs, Infantry, Alpha
B13: GCT Sappers & Engineers, 1st Platoon
B14: NAF, Infantry, Bravo
B15: NAF, Mechanized, FinBat, Lynx 1

Coffe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Coffe » 26 Jul 2012, 04:20

Tiger_1 wrote:The real life thing is true, but when BAVS works, it's effectiveness is somewhat higher the real life systems. You only have to carry one BAVS AT-4 to get 10 shots, real life would not provide that. So BAVS systems have to be limited if mec is to have any role in game. I do not believe players will bring all the cool gunships we see at games now if the second they encounter an inf squad, five car are taken out by 40mm gunners.

It does feel bad having to run from cars, but I am afraid armour still has a shock value in the real world also, the only way we can simulate that with any chance of it being fun is by making cars a bit harder to kill.
Seems to me that there's a designflaw in the BAVS grenades and At-4's then.

Isn't there a way to make sure that BAVS grenades/AT-4's get "reset" or something once fired so that you have to go back to base and let a technician or something make the grenade useable again? Sort of like a "digital grenade pin" if you will.

Crapgame
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Crapgame » 26 Jul 2012, 08:29

the 40mm BAVS grenade has a reload function built in, if thats what you mean.

and the AT4 have a on/off switch but to reload it after 10 missiles you have to get a GM with a small key.
B5: Allied
B6: Nato
B7: Nato HQ
B8: Poldavian 3rd QRF
B9: Poldavian 5th
B10: Poldavian 15th Sappers
B11: Blood Raven HQ
B12: Yuri Orlov Mercs QRF
B13: Ikaros Mech
B14: NAF Mech
B15: NAF Mech
B16: NAF Mech
B18: GCT Mech
Swedish & Finnish: living/working in Finland

counterassasin
Private
Private

Post by counterassasin » 05 Aug 2012, 12:43

The BAVS pre-order was a f*****n joke Berget-Events! What's the point of pre-ordering, when you find out both BB's and BAVS 40MM are out of stock??

Worst Berget planning out of all 6 I've been to...
"As long as we have loyalty to the end, there's no point in believing anything, not even in those we love... "

B5: Soviet Side
B6: Conrad's Mercs
B7: Yuri Orlov's Mercs
B8: Sixth Mercs, Civilian
B9: UN