How did the camo restriction work?

Feedback e debriefings from Berget 8.

Did you think that OD and Desert restriction worked?

Yes it was much more less friendly fire!
48%
Yes but skip the armband for next year!
25%
No, it was not good.
26%

Total votes: 209

Berget-events
Berget Crew & Site Admin
Berget Crew & Site Admin

How did the camo restriction work?

Post by Berget-events » 18 Jun 2010, 09:12

Feel free to write feedback.
Berget-events

Please send general questions to:
info@berget-events.com

Please send payment questions to:
payment@berget-events.com

Morehk
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Morehk » 18 Jun 2010, 21:45

less friendly fire, but those that had desert gear couldn´t hide in the bushes!
berget 2: Russian Grunt
Berget 3: Russian Grunt
Berget 5: Swedish Grunt
Berget 7: Captain and scoundrel in Milos tigers
Berget 8: NAF: Bad Company
Berget 9: BC Express driver / Smuggler
Berget 10: NAF: Armoured Company

RAG recon
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by RAG recon » 18 Jun 2010, 23:34

although(sadly enough) not present i selected "skip the armband for next year" since;
-in real life diferent armies only wear diferent uniforms.
-the handicap trough certain camo-patterns is sometimes large enough without having to wear an extra colored armband.

identification of players still can be made by using black(duck-)tape with the player ID painted on it with a white paint marker,on the back of his/her helmet or tactical-vest...

Plante
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Plante » 19 Jun 2010, 20:05

This is my 3rd berget , I hate wearing a armband simply , i dont see why we use restriction on camo and need a shiny band on the arm ?
Berget 6 - Merc - Baker hotel - !
Berget 7 - Merc -
Berget 8 - Naf23 - GRAW

Stig
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Stig » 19 Jun 2010, 22:08

One thing I encountered, was NAF wearing woodland ghillie suits. During a NAF base attack, one of them took especially advantage of this confusion.

He ran along Pols in the chaos, slapping them on the back and declaring a lot of knifekills before someone finally understood what was happening, and took him out.

Baron
Captain
Captain

Post by Baron » 19 Jun 2010, 22:12

Stig wrote:One thing I encountered, was NAF wearing woodland ghillie suits. During a NAF base attack, one of them took especially advantage of this confusion.

He ran along Pols in the chaos, slapping them on the back and declaring a lot of knifekills before someone finally understood what was happening, and took him out.
I wasn't there, but from what you've written I found it very distasteful. NAF should have desert ghillies or none at all.

EDIT: I also voted Yes, but no armbands next time
B15: Platoon Commander (NAF Mech)
B14: Platoon Commander (NAF Mech)
B13: Commander (GCT Mech)
B12: Platoon Commander (UniSec Mech)
B11: Medic (GCT)
B10: Medic (PSYOPS)
B9: Medic (UN)
B8: Medic (PSYOPS) - Civilian Medic
B7: Medic (Nato)
B6: Medic (United Nations)
B5: Medic (Swedish Forces)

spin_t
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by spin_t » 19 Jun 2010, 23:33

It is a little stupid to gear yourselfe in camo colours,paint your face,and in the end stick a huge red armband on your arm,i agree...:))

seaQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by seaQ » 20 Jun 2010, 01:21

Since I played as a civilian and we're around the greenzone alot (like other civilians/mercs) the red armband on the poldavian forces really helped identifying them amongst the civilian who often had darker clothes (not camo) making them look like poldavian forces (on distance).

Other than that, the camo restrictions worked perfectly even though the desert camo didnt make the game that fair to the NAF forces.

ErikBobbo
Newbee
Newbee

Post by ErikBobbo » 20 Jun 2010, 09:11

The NAF wasn't as easy to spot as I suspected before the game. The armbands actually worked pretty well, especially Friday, when we formed a small team and went on some random NAF-hunting in the green zone. Met several friendlys on the way, and I'm pretty sure the armband helped against red-on-red :)

3rd Pol Brokeback Mountaineers

JudgementDay
Major
Major

Post by JudgementDay » 20 Jun 2010, 13:14

Baron wrote: NAF should have desert ghillies or none at all.
[sarcasm]Or rather big white bedsheets with christmas tree decoration.[/sarcasm]

Seriously though, the ghillie suits were about the only thing that offered a bit of a fair chance for NAF forces. With the terrain encountered, NAF forces were clearly visible at all times, while Poldavian forces had the full range of useful camouflage.

It stands to reason that all civilians partaking in battles wore colours of Poldavian-like camo, not colours you found in NAF camo.

While I agree that the OD restriction worked well and did not impede the civilians much, and also showed that they were non-military, the restriction for NAF forces was too much of a disadvantage with the chosen terrain.

@ RAG Recon: I fully agree on the part of different armies wearing different patterns. If this wasn't Airsoft with random people coming together without any military organization at all, the right rule/restriction would be for players to have only one specific pattern per side, one appropriate for the terrain the game is set in, and also have people only use weaponry of a specific kind (so only US gear on one side, Soviet gear on the other side, for example).

And to top things up, you could rule that each party may only communicate in a specific language, which would probably do a whole lot about identification, but is of course entirely impossible.

But since this is Airsoft, and people buy random stuff just to reflect what they like instead of which party they intend to belong to, I don't think that's possible. So in my eyes, the armband is the most sensible approach - if you want to avoid friendly fire because people can't bother to communicate before shooting.

If anything, I'd vote that the camo restriction is dropped, and the armbands are kept.
Been here since B08... :)

slankov
Newbee
Newbee

Post by slankov » 20 Jun 2010, 14:41

Desertcamo were actually pretty hard to spot in many situations, at least harder than i thought. And the blue armbands were harder to spot than the red, at least in my opinion ._o

I would like to keep the armbands, many times the only thing that prevented you from getting shots by friendlies was simply to show your armband.

Eldoriath
Captain
Captain

Post by Eldoriath » 20 Jun 2010, 16:52

NAF wasn't to overly easy to see as expected, and even if I dislike armbands I wish to keep them for reason said above:
People come to play with gear they like and thus our uniforms aren't uniforms, since they are different from one another. And this is fine by me and why I wish to keep armband.
B5. Russia.
OC2. Militia.
B6. NATO, Bravo coy, 3rd Plt commander
B7. Milos tigers, Sibiria coy, 3rd Plt commander
B8. Poldavian Psy-Ops, Plt commander
B9. UN, Coy commander

diamid
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by diamid » 20 Jun 2010, 17:33

I agree, keep the armbands. Even if there are different uniform colors for each team.
diamid
Proud member of 6MM
Email: diamid@6mm.se

B7: SF Sqd Leader - Yuri Orlovs Mercs
B8: CoyLeader - Sixth Mercs
B11: Batalion XO - Raven Guerillia
B13: Commander - IKAROS Minerva Infantry

Klab
Private
Private

Post by Klab » 20 Jun 2010, 18:01

JudgementDay wrote:
[sarcasm]Or rather big white bedsheets with christmas tree decoration.[/sarcasm]

Seriously though, the ghillie suits were about the only thing that offered a bit of a fair chance for NAF forces. With the terrain encountered, NAF forces were clearly visible at all times, while Poldavian forces had the full range of useful camouflage.

It stands to reason that all civilians partaking in battles wore colours of Poldavian-like camo, not colours you found in NAF camo.

While I agree that the OD restriction worked well and did not impede the civilians much, and also showed that they were non-military, the restriction for NAF forces was too much of a disadvantage with the chosen terrain.

@ RAG Recon: I fully agree on the part of different armies wearing different patterns. If this wasn't Airsoft with random people coming together without any military organization at all, the right rule/restriction would be for players to have only one specific pattern per side, one appropriate for the terrain the game is set in, and also have people only use weaponry of a specific kind (so only US gear on one side, Soviet gear on the other side, for example).

And to top things up, you could rule that each party may only communicate in a specific language, which would probably do a whole lot about identification, but is of course entirely impossible.

But since this is Airsoft, and people buy random stuff just to reflect what they like instead of which party they intend to belong to, I don't think that's possible. So in my eyes, the armband is the most sensible approach - if you want to avoid friendly fire because people can't bother to communicate before shooting.

If anything, I'd vote that the camo restriction is dropped, and the armbands are kept.
+1

Lentus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Lentus » 20 Jun 2010, 18:10

Klab wrote:
JudgementDay wrote:

+1
+2

A poldavian talks to a naf
"I thought you all was crew."
"Why?"
"I could see you all, half a mile away"