Bowman PRR

Discuss about all kinds of radio`s sutable for airsoft games.
BadBrad
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Bowman PRR

Post by BadBrad » 17 Apr 2008, 11:02

Many bringing Bowman PRR ? For thoose of you that dont know what it is, it is the little extra to your kit.

Theese radios is quite hard to get your hands on, but I got some friends that buy brokens ones, repair them, and sell them, so, if you want to know more, read more

AN/PRC-343 (H4855)
The AN/PRC-343 (NSN 5820-99-721-8335) Personal Role Radio (PRR) is a compact and lightweight short-range communication transceiver set. This radio set utilizes advanced wireless LAN technology, incorporating spread spectrum techniques at 2.4 GHz, ensuring that the system has a low probability of interception and detection and is designed to perform in dense electromagnetic environment. The radio transmissions utilize a proprietary form of Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum which, to an eavesdropper, will appear like noise.

The H4855 has been designed as a highly integrated package minimizing interconnecting cables and providing for the simplest possible user interface. The PRR has only two controls - On/Off/Volume switch and a smaller channel selector, switching between 16 preset channels.

Multiple variants of the Push-to-Talk (PTT) switch assembly are available for single or dual radio operation or for interfacing to various sensors. A situational awareness and reporting system which interfaces with the H4855 reports essential information from every team member. Each unit is provided with a specific group, selected from a total of 256 available channels.

The PRR can transmit voice and data (38.4 Kbps) simultaneously. Data from external sensors or sensors on the body (e.g. for gas alarm) can be transmitted as tone or as digital voice.

The headset is both rugged and flexible and compatible with all standard military headgear.

The system supports both broadcast, commander to troops or a private conversation between two units.

The PTT switch is mated to the radio body by use of a single fixing. The dual role control switch has two pressel switches, one for PRR and one for CNR. The hands-free PTT uses a wireless coded scheme that ensures only one radio will be operated by the PTT. Re-coding a PTT to operate a radio can be accomplished in the field by the end user. The hands-free PTT operates at 435 MHz and is uniquely coded to operate the PRR from a few meters.

The complete PRR system can be assembled by the user or technical staff for the selected role. The role will be either single use, where the only radio system to be utilized is the PRR, or dual user, for which the user can also operate a combat radio (CNR).

A relay unit consists of two linked PRR in a saddle bag. They can be dropped to a suitable place to extend the range. The PRR comes in different colors for different usages; there also is a watertight bag (equipment is submersible to 8 meters /25 feet).

The US Marine Corps uses the expression Integrated Intra Squad Radio (IISR) to describe the role of a PRR.

Very Basic: Its a squad radio, your able to connect a 2nd radio to it and controll your 2nd radio with the Bowman (The bowman has 2 Push to talk buttons), this means you can have a long distance radio connected to the Bowman, to talk to your CC (Company Commander) or so, and also listen to what your team have to say on your bowman frequensy ! So, a 2 in 1 radio, you only need to buy your 2nd radio though, but controll it with your bowman :D Or, you can do as me, I use a cheap Cobra radio with my Bowman, so I can communicate with thoose who dont have Bowman but cobra.

I got some friends that buy brokens ones, repair them, and sell them, so, if you want to know more, read more
We are two guys that is very dedicated to airsoft and started to repair others people`s aeg.
After some time more ideas sprung to life, like custom battery modifications, refurbishing Bowman radios and custom one-piece barrels.
We are getting connections worldwide and have plans to make more custom parts.
Example content image - aligned to the right

Soon there would be CNC machined parts and other modifications avaible trough our website.
Services we provide for the moment is sale of a refurbished Bowman H4855 radio, and designing small websites. We also have some engraving files for download
Our plans and goals

There are many things that would happen in the near future. First we are planning to be able to sell spare parts for the Bowman H4855 radio. We do mill and lathe buttons and batterylid today, but this is a very time consuming prosess since we have to do this manually. When we get to sell more radios, we would order spare battery lids based on the original. There would be possible to download cnc drawings and eps engraving files so people could make theyre own custom parts.
Many have probably heard of this radio, and watched some of these being sold on Ebay. This radio broadcast on a wireless band at 2.400 ... 2.483 GHz. It got a channel selector behind the ptt that is screwed on to the side of the radio. This allow it to change between 256 different channels.Example content image - aligned to the right

What makes this one so special is that me and my friend found out that you could control an external radio with this bowman. Adding the possibility to make it a very flexible system. With a dual ptt button you could transmitt on the local frequensy and talk to others with bowman radio that are on the same frequensy. This would let you talk with your team with a good quality communication. When you want to talk to anyone farther away, then you could press the second ptt button to transmit with your external radio. This allow you to have a dual radio setup with only one headset.

What we do, is buying stripped radios on ebay, and buy the parts to make it work. Complete the radio with antenna, dualptt, headset, dials and batterylid. dials and batterylid is made in our workshop. These are for the moment hand machined and take about 1-2 days to complete and test a radio. We also make headset for lefthanded. Then if you are lefthanded you don`t have to have that microphone in the way when trying to use that iron sight.

DISCLAMIR

So what are theese 2 guys ? They are 2 dedicated Airsofters from Norway that brings the little extra to the community, they are not a established firm, they do this of theyre hobby, so Im not doing any commercial for any buisnesses.

If you want to get in contact or have nay questions, feel free to PM me :)

(If so this post is in conflict with Berget-Crew or admins, please delete this thread)

crimson
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by crimson » 18 Apr 2008, 00:23

I have one Marconi H4855 PRR (and most team members)

it is a nice radio

there is also a wireless PTT switch available.......that feature is a big plus
(I have it :D )

BadBrad
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by BadBrad » 18 Apr 2008, 08:45

crimson wrote:I have one Marconi H4855 PRR (and most team members)

it is a nice radio

there is also a wireless PTT switch available.......that feature is a big plus
(I have it :D )
Hehe theese guys can also get wireless PTT''s, atleast they have got 1 by a contact and theyre still working on it :)

Where did you get yorus ? Send me a PM, Im dieing to get one too :P

IBICO
Newbee
Newbee

Post by IBICO » 27 Apr 2008, 12:08

Yeah.. We got 6 bowman now that is ready :D

Think we maybe would get 11-13 ready before Berget, but is not sure if we could make it in time.
Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their own level and beat you with experience.
Support airsoft radio: http://www.opsecairsoft.com
New website: http://www.augdal.net

emreyazgin
Newbee
Newbee

Post by emreyazgin » 16 Feb 2010, 05:12

Hello everyone, I know this is an old post but I have 3 Bowman PRR H4855 radios but they are missing knobs and battery covers. Is there any way someone can advice me where to get these spare parts? emre@emreyazgin.com is my email or you can always pm me as well :)

Thank you so much in advance!

IBICO
Newbee
Newbee

Post by IBICO » 19 Feb 2010, 20:37

emreyazgin wrote:Hello everyone, I know this is an old post but I have 3 Bowman PRR H4855 radios but they are missing knobs and battery covers. Is there any way someone can advice me where to get these spare parts? emre@emreyazgin.com is my email or you can always pm me as well :)

I could check around, but hard to get
Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their own level and beat you with experience.
Support airsoft radio: http://www.opsecairsoft.com
New website: http://www.augdal.net

Stig
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Stig » 19 Feb 2010, 21:30

I got a fantastic dual PRR by this Brit, but note that hes selling them with no guarantees.

http://myworld.ebay.com/ta_shunca_uitco/

emreyazgin
Newbee
Newbee

Post by emreyazgin » 20 Feb 2010, 18:39

IBICO wrote:
emreyazgin wrote:Hello everyone, I know this is an old post but I have 3 Bowman PRR H4855 radios but they are missing knobs and battery covers. Is there any way someone can advice me where to get these spare parts? emre@emreyazgin.com is my email or you can always pm me as well :)

Thanks a lot! That would be great. Also, just out of curiosity, is the battery cover and PTT switch pack the same thing? I have the bodies, and headsets but I think there is an attachment on the side that has the headset socket on it which is missing..I could try and make something if i knew which connector goes to where but it would be much better to find the original part if i can..
Last edited by emreyazgin on 20 Feb 2010, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

emreyazgin
Newbee
Newbee

Post by emreyazgin » 20 Feb 2010, 18:39

Stig wrote:I got a fantastic dual PRR by this Brit, but note that hes selling them with no guarantees.

I'm checking it now, thanks a lot!

kjsaw
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Post by kjsaw » 20 Feb 2010, 20:08

emreyazgin wrote:
IBICO wrote:

Thanks a lot! That would be great. Also, just out of curiosity, is the battery cover and PTT switch pack the same thing? I have the bodies, and headsets but I think there is an attachment on the side that has the headset socket on it which is missing..I could try and make something if i knew which connector goes to where but it would be much better to find the original part if i can..
Battery cover and PTT pack are not the same thing. the battery cover goes on the bottom corner of the radio body and holds in the 2xAA batteries. The PTT attaches down the entire side of the radio and is what you plug the headset into.

Both the PTT and battery cover could be made "at home" but of course would not look as good as the real deal. Full radios and various parts show up on ebay.co.uk from time to time, but the prices can vary wildly.

The following links provide some good background on the PRR:

http://www.prc68.com/I/Bowman.shtml

http://www.milspec.ca/radspec/prc-343.html
B4 >>> B17
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

kjsaw
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Post by kjsaw » 20 Feb 2010, 20:09

emreyazgin wrote:
Stig wrote:I got a fantastic dual PRR by this Brit, but note that hes selling them with no guarantees.

I'm checking it now, thanks a lot!
That guy does have some good looking complete radios, however they also seem to be at the top end of the price spectrum. (I have paid as low as £65 for a complete radio+ptt+headset)
B4 >>> B17
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

emreyazgin
Newbee
Newbee

Post by emreyazgin » 21 Feb 2010, 03:12

kjsaw wrote:
emreyazgin wrote:
IBICO wrote: I could check around, but hard to get
Battery cover and PTT pack are not the same thing. the battery cover goes on the bottom corner of the radio body and holds in the 2xAA batteries. The PTT attaches down the entire side of the radio and is what you plug the headset into.

Both the PTT and battery cover could be made "at home" but of course would not look as good as the real deal. Full radios and various parts show up on ebay.co.uk from time to time, but the prices can vary wildly.

The following links provide some good background on the PRR:

http://www.prc68.com/I/Bowman.shtml

http://www.milspec.ca/radspec/prc-343.html
Thanks for all the information, I think one of those links explain the pins clearly so I can make the connection myself, maybe if I can find the socket in farnell or another electronics shop I can solder them directly to the socket. If I can actually find an empty spot I can install a socket on the unit..a bit of DIY time! :)

ron the slayer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by ron the slayer » 21 Feb 2010, 11:27

you also got replica's on e-bay banned now

http://www.ebairsoft.com/bowman-h4855u- ... -2904.html
:)

NL_Lexxie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by NL_Lexxie » 21 Feb 2010, 18:54

ron the slayer wrote:you also got replica's on e-bay banned now

http://www.ebairsoft.com/bowman-h4855u- ... -2904.html
:)
These replicá ones are running on a different freq then the original ones. and are not compatible whit the origenal military version.

Stig
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Stig » 21 Feb 2010, 23:20

The PRR shares frequency with wireless networks, and most times you can knock them out by holding the talk button.

Good to annoy confused friends with :P