improvement suggestions for B10

Feedback and debriefings from Berget 9
Vandalen
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Vandalen » 20 Jul 2011, 06:25

+1 on A_muller

Well its settled that radios will be fubar after a certain range it's now important that the COs pay attention to this when assigning orders. Make sure how far the radio ranges stretch by testing it out and if you have a plt operating in the fog of war make damn sure where they are and that you may contact them.
There were too many times we got an order and afterwards felt abandoned like our mission didnt really matter we just had to do something (served with NAF 3rd B5)

Each bat should have atleast one radio squad assigned with repeaters(berget provided?) wich main objective would be to secure comms

Edit: just came up with another suggestion, since mechanised divisions often act as qrf (wich in airsoft often means hitnruns or driving in to a battle and find themselves in a respawn 10min later) I would like to se more evacs. I.e a ranger plt is stuck and outnumbered, they call for evac and a grid is assigned as extraction point.
This would add another aspect to the firefight rather than fight to the last man and respawn, wich then again is too much airsoft and destroys the experience imho..

motorhead
Captain
Captain

Post by motorhead » 21 Jul 2011, 14:57

Waldo wrote: My oppinion is that we need a real brigade HQ, not just a tent with a bit of radio equiptment and motorhead ...
Totally agree. A better setup is needed next time - at least to have that artillery unit have some functionality. This time it hampered our artillery capacity and had little purpose.

Another example of Berget introducing a new, untested game element without having the ingame HQ infrastructure in place. A howitzer prop should be able to move dynamically around as needed by its faction troops.

Especially since its range was reduced to an airsoft-based 1km target range.

Using the less vehicle-favourable Härnösand game area was not a wise planning move. Instead of showcasing a new player-served artillery game element we got a handicapped version with little ingame purpose.

A concept clearly in need of re-evaluation before B10.
Motörhead, SBA, Norway
B6: NATO, Oscar COY, 3rd PLT, 3rd squad
B7: NATO S6 - smoke signal operator
B8: Pol. 3rd Mount. S6/Liaison - ditto
B9: Pol. 3rd Mount. Com dude - ditto
B10: On leave
B11: Hot Dog

Crapgame
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Crapgame » 21 Jul 2011, 23:14

I`m with motorhead on the artillery concept.
moveable artillery is a great concept idea but it depend on what area you choose for the game. adapt the game concept after the game area ability.
B5: Allied
B6: Nato
B7: Nato HQ
B8: Poldavian 3rd QRF
B9: Poldavian 5th
B10: Poldavian 15th Sappers
B11: Blood Raven HQ
B12: Yuri Orlov Mercs QRF
B13: Ikaros Mech
B14: NAF Mech
B15: NAF Mech
B16: NAF Mech
B18: GCT Mech
Swedish & Finnish: living/working in Finland

spin_t
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by spin_t » 25 Jul 2011, 21:08

Since you r talking about artillery ,not the lack of roads was the major problem,not even the 1 km range.
All the other units saw the artillery just an extra weight on the shoulders,when it was to request backup or cover,except the 1st Mech and GMHQ i did not receive from other unit coordinates for fire.
So looks like the artillery concept was not exploited with his maximum effect.
And as long as the artillery will not be able to hit a certain MGRS coordinate but just big strategic points on the map,and also as long as this "yellow vest" system will not be changed, IMHO artillery is just a ...joke.
B 8 Poldavian 1-st Bat.
B 9 Poldavian 320th Art Comm
B10 Poldavian 15-th
B11 troop carrier betwen BRaven base and front line :)
B12 Raven Mech

motorhead
Captain
Captain

Post by motorhead » 26 Jul 2011, 05:57

spin_t wrote:Since you r talking about artillery ,not the lack of roads was the major problem,not even the 1 km range.
All the other units saw the artillery just an extra weight on the shoulders,when it was to request backup or cover,except the 1st Mech and GMHQ i did not receive from other unit coordinates for fire.
So looks like the artillery concept was not exploited with his maximum effect.
And as long as the artillery will not be able to hit a certain MGRS coordinate but just big strategic points on the map,and also as long as this "yellow vest" system will not be changed, IMHO artillery is just a ...joke.
I agree. All you do is being tied up to a useless howitzer-prop, with no real ingame purpose. A bad joke not having any ingame use at all.
Before BE introduce such game elements the proper faction infrastructure and artillery mandates must be in place.

The relevant faction should have both a fire cordination system (aka faction HQ) and the freedom to launch artillery fire at relevant MGRS coordinates as requested by the faction FAC (Forward Artillery Controllers) or requesting faction units in need of fire support.
Motörhead, SBA, Norway
B6: NATO, Oscar COY, 3rd PLT, 3rd squad
B7: NATO S6 - smoke signal operator
B8: Pol. 3rd Mount. S6/Liaison - ditto
B9: Pol. 3rd Mount. Com dude - ditto
B10: On leave
B11: Hot Dog

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 26 Jul 2011, 14:34

I have found that airsofters dont really like being killed by anything except BB's. And I can understand that. Therefor, I have never really used a lot of art at Berget, and until Saturday this year never really had a lot of it used against me. During the fight at the powerlines I think we got hit with 5-8 strikes (I stoped counting) and most of my men did not run, they took cover (the terrain was good for defence and hiding there), we did lose guys to art, but due to good pos and reenforcments comming at the right time, we held!

As my unit was operating mostly far forward, I had litle possiblity of using the ingame pol art, so I used the "off map" heavy guns on the two times I used art during the game. This is also why I did not coorinate a lot with art commander during game, as his support would mostly go to 1st Mec (he needed them for movment) and 5th in their operations.
Giving independent missions to art is not a good idea, and I think if this concept it to be used again, make art a part of one of the units.

I do not think ingame art needs to get better, it need to be changed in total, and I have no idea how, but the way it is now, it mosly pisses people off...
Can we make art into targeted missile/bomb strikes, and take out targets that have BAVS system fitted? That means cars, bunkers, command HQ (even if the shelling of HQ only causes loss of control for a time, and should be avoided for game purposes), and buldings/SP/TP. This would give game masters the chance to just carry a "God gun" and take out targets without the telltale firework setup (even if I enjoy fireworks as much as the next guy ;) ).
"go to your God like a soldier!"

Waldo
Captain
Captain

Post by Waldo » 26 Jul 2011, 17:05

According to the teams page we were officially attached to the 5th, but in fact we were mostly out with 1st.

I like the idea of having a arty troop because i don't like these offmap support thing. With the offmap-arty you don't have to protect something, or figure something out how you can land a artillerystrike on your opponents HQ.

Our big gun looked very cool, but was not practical during the game. it was sometimes next to imposible to manuver on the streets with it. For the next year i suggest that the arty troops get like 3 mortars ( 120mm-style) that we carry around on one of the bigger transporter trucks with these loading bay part. then there is still enough space to get at least a squad with the gun to protect and operate it. The small Volvo was a huge piece of crap when we came to transporting persons...
And PLEEEEEEASE MGRS coordinates.
B9: Pol. 320th Arty - Coy Cmd
B10: 45th Mountaineer Sappers ("Sapperneers") - Wiley 2-2
B11-B13: Serving the country
B14: UPIR - Righteous Employee

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 26 Jul 2011, 20:23

The rest of poldavian forces were using MGRS....so why not you? And bombing hq/attacking enemy main base just for the sake of doing it is kind of a waste of time...

Buffel
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Buffel » 26 Jul 2011, 20:56

Apparantly Berget did not allow the arty to shoot at MGRS coordinates?
Strike 1 for wildlife: Cape Buffalo are said to have killed more big game hunters than any other animal :D

Berget 9: Poldavian 3rd Mountaineers
Berget 10: Poldavian 3rd Mountaineers

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 26 Jul 2011, 21:13

All fire missions I called in both this year and last was to berget game masters, and in MGRS, so that does not make sense...

Waldo
Captain
Captain

Post by Waldo » 26 Jul 2011, 22:34

The HQ bombing was just an example. What I wanted to show was that you have to plan your advance in a different way when you have to mind how you need to place the artillery to weaken the enemies defence lines, or how you could stop an assault and so on...

The 320th were just allowed/had the GM mission to shoot the supply points and janco/un-base. so we were pretty much pointless, because we did the same thing that the offmap arty could do.

We only did 7 firing mission during the whole game. 2 on the first day without any enemy contact. 2 out in the field when we joined the massive attack with 5th and 1st. But 3 of them where out of our base, which was as exciting as celebrating new years eve, not like fighting in an epic war. :(
The saddest thing was that I got only direct 1 firing mission over the radio with MGRS, and when I recieved it we had GM order to move to another point.

Please don't get me wrong and think that I'm whinig about not having enough action. I lvoed this Berget and fought side by side with some awesome guys, but since this year was the debut of the 320th, I'd like to give some ideas how you could improve the situation, so that BE could eventually (in the not so distant future) cancel the offmap artillery and change it with an on-map arty troop
B9: Pol. 320th Arty - Coy Cmd
B10: 45th Mountaineer Sappers ("Sapperneers") - Wiley 2-2
B11-B13: Serving the country
B14: UPIR - Righteous Employee

RJay
Newbee
Newbee

Post by RJay » 22 Aug 2011, 15:11

Hell_Viking wrote: J2 - INTEL
J3 - Plan,OPS
J5 - Communications
it's J6 Communication