Game area?

Feedback and debriefings from Berget 11

What about the new gamearea?

The new area was great!
39%
Better than Harnosand! Keep that area for next year.
19%
Did not like it but still better than Harnosand.
1%
Did not like it at all, get back to the Harnosand area.
34%
Find a new area, i dont like this or Harnosand.
7%

Total votes: 89

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Re: Game area?

Post by Tiger_1 » 02 Jul 2013, 22:17

I must admitt I was not in the field all the time, but my gps managed to logg 50km, so if people walked 80+ I salute them. Good area, but like kris said, the scenario made some unbalance in what was used and not.
"go to your God like a soldier!"

stone[no]
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by stone[no] » 03 Jul 2013, 09:28

kjsaw wrote:I liked the area, Good variations in terrain and foliage. The scenario and base positions meant allot of walking (particularly for Ravens), not the end of the world, but something that certainly started to take is toll towards the end. A different scenario on the same game area might try to move the focal point to a more central location.
+1
B6: NATO Sqd ldr
B7: NATO Plt co
B8: XO Pol 3.
B9: XO Pol 3.
B10: Chief of staff Pol C&C
B11: Talon3 co, Blood Ravens
B12: Yuri Orlov mech, Panther 3
B13: Ikaros Mech
B14: NAF mech
B15: NAF mech
B16: NAF mech
B17: TFC mech

Cassius
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Cassius » 03 Jul 2013, 13:06

I liked the area, however I think its usage was poor.

First I really feel (but maybe it was on purpose) that the GCT base was a lot better and harder to take than the Raven One.

- GCT base was far from road, too close to off game area (approaching the base was a constant wonder whenever we were off game or not) and surrounded by nice field of view.

- On the other hand the Raven base could be attack on all side, and tents were within reach of AEG from the road... but surrounded by thick wood lands that make surveillance difficult.

I think base should always be surrounded by game area large enough to allow movement around the base.

Other than that most of the game field was simply not exploit... Heros Peak was just an empty mountain for example... where as the place could have been great for many fight... All the action was centred on the road going from South border crossing to Raven base... Adding scattered Drug lab for example, that should be destroy by GCT and protected by Raven would have a been great.
B11: Blood Raven Recon

vinni
Colonel
Colonel

Post by vinni » 03 Jul 2013, 16:47

The GCT base placement was indeed downright unfair. Wedged up in the corner of the map, with next to no chance of getting around, aside from a 10m corridor between what's visible from the base and off-game area.
The fact that GCT did not have a kiosk and players had to travel between the base and the safezone to buy stuff really increased traffic in this area, some ingame, some offgame.

On the second day my team were trying to work our way around the base in the small corridor that was available and we eventually got bumped by two guys (out of like 20) who were travelling to or from the safezone. Something like this just wouldn't happen at the raven base because a) the kiosk was in in-game area, b) you could circle around for miles and c) the vegetation allowed you to creep up on the base as close as 10m in some points.

The area itself was ok-ish, aside from the lack of roads in the south-east and them bloody mosquitoes O.o
B6: NATO
B7: Orlov Corp
B8: Poldavian III Mntrs
B9: Poldavian III Mntrs
BX: Poldavian BRF
BXI: Blood Raven Recon
BXII: Blood Raven CO
BXIII: Cerberus BAT CO
BXIV: UPIR Senior Management
BXV: UPIR HQ resident cripple
BXVI: UPIR old fart
BXVII: GFM HQ
BXVIII: GFM HQ

alecu
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by alecu » 03 Jul 2013, 17:23

actually the GCT base was supposed to be like that, being in other country that Ravens?
B7 - NATO
B8 - NAF 23
B9 - NAF 6th Airborne
B10 - NAF 23rd Infantry Battalion
B11 - Taliban Tea Shop Owner
B12 - Taliban Inc.
--------------------
http://www.progear.ro

Cassius
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Cassius » 03 Jul 2013, 18:56

Well that was the role of the border and the minefield, and no one is discussing it... But once you managed to get in Guyanna, you should be able to attack just as you want... The fact that it is hard to take because of off game patches is kind of annoying...
B11: Blood Raven Recon

Mishka_U
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mishka_U » 03 Jul 2013, 19:03

To my mind, Harnosand area creates more opportunities for players and the crew: obvious points of interest are more numerous and can be approached from multiple sides, terrain is more interesting as far as firefights are concerned, distances are better balanced. So, I would gladly return to Bashir/Janco/Abandoned Village. :) Frankly, I walked there on Sunday morning while my friends were sleeping near the ex-NAF base and I had many pleasant recollections.
B7: Orlov Mercs, 3rd COY, Special Force
B8: Poldavian 1st Infantry
B9: Poldavian 3rd Mountaineers
B10: Poldavian BRF
B11: Russian Civilian
B12: Yuri Orlov Mercs, Russian Coy Commander
B13: GCT 1 Infantry, Commander

vinni
Colonel
Colonel

Post by vinni » 03 Jul 2013, 21:45

alecu wrote:actually the GCT base was supposed to be like that, being in other country that Ravens?
We still had missions that needed a closer look on the GCT base (FAD, HQ number, ...) and the way the base was located, that could only only be done from 1 or 2 directions.

Like Cassius said, the border crossings and patrols (well, that should have been there) were your shield against raven incursions (on top of your base defenses), having the game area hinder our actions even further is just unfair.

Which is probably the main reason Kommandant Richter walked up to me and asked me how the hell we got there :P

JudgementDay
Major
Major

Post by JudgementDay » 04 Jul 2013, 07:47

That admittedly was fun - having you guys come up from the wrong side of camp, where we expected to be safe with the border of the game-area at our back. Although, just to be sarcastic, since you two guys made it back there, you've proven that it is possible, eh? :P
Been here since B08... :)

vinni
Colonel
Colonel

Post by vinni » 04 Jul 2013, 10:31

JudgementDay wrote:That admittedly was fun - having you guys come up from the wrong side of camp, where we expected to be safe with the border of the game-area at our back. Although, just to be sarcastic, since you two guys made it back there, you've proven that it is possible, eh? :P
*cough* the FIVE of us *cough* :mrgreen:
only took us 2 hours to get around :P

diamid
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by diamid » 04 Jul 2013, 15:13

I like the area. But missed having capture point around the map. Its a huge area, and I think we only used a small part of it.

Only thing. For the Ravens, it was a long walk for some people to get back to camp. There where people not used to/prepared and got blisters and/or was exaused. Where two reports of people (not going to use their names) that had to be picked up by BE beacuse they where dead-exaused. One where sent to Haransand medical center. (Could be some sickness, I don't know)

In my experience, people dont mind walking a bit to get to a mission area or to the fighting. But it breaks peoples morale to have to walk huge distances to get back to camp to eat food or relax. If BE would open for 1 or 2 dead vechlies to be alowed to move and pick troops up while spawning. It will keep the game going better. Since people will get back to the camp faster, get to eat, still have energy and leap back into battle. Again, this could be a Berget Crew transport, that cost death cards.

I know its Mil-Sim, but its still a game. We are not suppose to break people.
diamid
Proud member of 6MM
Email: diamid@6mm.se

B7: SF Sqd Leader - Yuri Orlovs Mercs
B8: CoyLeader - Sixth Mercs
B11: Batalion XO - Raven Guerillia
B13: Commander - IKAROS Minerva Infantry

Kayco
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Kayco » 04 Jul 2013, 16:05

diamid wrote:I like the area. But missed having capture point around the map. Its a huge area, and I think we only used a small part of it.

Only thing. For the Ravens, it was a long walk for some people to get back to camp. There where people not used to/prepared and got blisters and/or was exaused. Where two reports of people (not going to use their names) that had to be picked up by BE beacuse they where dead-exaused. One where sent to Haransand medical center. (Could be some sickness, I don't know)

In my experience, people dont mind walking a bit to get to a mission area or to the fighting. But it breaks peoples morale to have to walk huge distances to get back to camp to eat food or relax. If BE would open for 1 or 2 dead vechlies to be alowed to move and pick troops up while spawning. It will keep the game going better. Since people will get back to the camp faster, get to eat, still have energy and leap back into battle. Again, this could be a Berget Crew transport, that cost death cards.

I know its Mil-Sim, but its still a game. We are not suppose to break people.
Those words could come from my soul!
Thanks Diamid for the summary.

And beside the challenge of long works to the main actions, this point is one of the importants:
But missed having capture point around the map. Its a huge area, and I think we only used a small part of it.
The old concept SP,TP = Respawn; you have to capture this first and therefor can use this as constructional part of a bigger mission, was really better!
There was low tactical opportunities with the dedicated tactical Respawn Points.
Hold few players few meters far away from this TP and the enemy can respawn, but not going ingame :?
We did this and GCT did this!

Furthermore - as already mentioned - one main road trough the Area with so lot of offgame-traffic was impractical.

The deep forests was really good for hide of the snipers, but not for bigger actions. We had a lot of problems with the safety distances on both sides during the game expecially in the short woods closer to the dirty roads.

For me its clear. I want to go back the the good old Härnösand Area.
B09: Poldavian 1st Mechanized Battalion
B10: Poldavian 21st Mechanized Battalion
B11: Blood Ravens
B14: Blue Armband

JKangas
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JKangas » 04 Jul 2013, 22:20

What guys said. Long walks to base do nothing to enhance the game, they just waste time and tire people out. We walked a lot and I think that a large majority of kilometers came simply from slogging the road between civ village and Raven base. Not exactly fun.
B8: 1st Poldavian, 1st Coy, Fox Sq. 3
B9: The Firm, Zansian Sq. K, Pizza Delivery Guy
B10: Zansian 1st Coy, Alpha Pl, 1st Sq.
B11: Raven Guerilla Mursu Coy, Alpha Pl, Alpha Sq.
B13: Ikaros Mursu Coy, 1st Pl, 1st Sq. "Front Squat - Etukyykky"
B15: NAF FINBAT Air Cav, Fox 3 Pl.

M.Svensson
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by M.Svensson » 05 Jul 2013, 02:25

Am I the only one that thinks the distances was pretty much perfect? Sure it was quite of a walk back from fishermans to GCT base but you could stop if you needed some rest :)
And I don't think anyone would judge you if you stop along the road for some rest, especially if you weren't in one of the milsim orientated units.

EDIT: overall I think the area was great and the distances were good too, we need a bit of space to be able to flank/get around enemies.
Berget 11 - GCT SFODU, GOLF
Berget 12 - GCT 9th SF infantry, ECHO
Berget 13 - GCT Special Parachute Infantry, ALPHA

BiohZn
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by BiohZn » 05 Jul 2013, 09:18

As this was my first Berget i cant really compare it to anything. But i did like the area :)
B11 - Rico's Bodyguard - Iron Walls
B12 - Rico's Bodyguard