BAVS feedback, suggestions & problems

Feedback and debriefings from Berget 12
B1
Corporal
Corporal

Re: BAVS feedback, suggestions & problems

Post by B1 » 09 Jul 2014, 10:08

Berget-events wrote:Thanks for the feedback, more ideas and suggestions are welcome!!!

One thing for sure is that is coming in the new version is the BAVS receiver "KIA" sound / blink. After a Vehicle has 0 HP and are killed. The BAVS receiver will do a special sound every 15 seconds like "bib, bib, bib" and then flash the red LED lights in a certain pulse.

This will make sure opposing forces will know that a vehicle is out.

There will also be a way to see if the Bavs is turned on or disconnected from the outside of the car.

+1 :D
Bo "B1" Bengtsson -Team ILD I PIBEN

http://www.ildipiben.com
-----------------------------
B11: Ravens
B12: Ravens
B13: Hades Police Tank div.
B14: NAF Delta platoon
B15: Mercenaries "IIP Services"
B16: Mercenaries "IIP Services"
B17: Civilian IIP gang
B18: YES!

Coffe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Coffe » 10 Jul 2014, 14:33

Berget-events wrote:Thanks for the feedback, more ideas and suggestions are welcome!!!

One thing for sure is that is coming in the new version is the BAVS receiver "KIA" sound / blink. After a Vehicle has 0 HP and are killed. The BAVS receiver will do a special sound every 15 seconds like "bib, bib, bib" and then flash the red LED lights in a certain pulse.

This will make sure opposing forces will know that a vehicle is out.

There will also be a way to see if the Bavs is turned on or disconnected from the outside of the car.
Lovely news, especially the last part about being able to see if the reciever is turned on or off from outside the car.

It's nice to see that BAVS is in current development with efforts to improve it. :)

I've read up on games like border wars and how they do it, where they basically have gamemasters running around in firefights telling which vehicles have been taken out and such rather than relying on a bavs/simfire-system.

But I gotta say that i prefer the more simulationist approach with bavs. Gamemasters are needed of course, but having too many of them running around in a big firefight tend to lower the immersion of the moment for me (I prefer my gamemasters working in the shadows unseen and stealthy :D ). With bavs the players themselves can sort out which vehicles are hit, which is way better in my opinion when the system works as intended. So it's truly a joy to see that it's being developed further! :)

(I know that i'm a very "to the point" an less than diplomatic critic in regards to things I think are bad/needs to be improved in the game. That's why I think it's important to highlight the aspects and features that I think are great about it as well, because I don' t want to be a chronic whiner)

Shorty85
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shorty85 » 17 Jul 2014, 11:10

If the bavs receiver would get a reset button instead of needing to disconnect/conect battery that would be nice.

Alive vehicle could have a couple of green diodes blinking every 15 seconds or something.

When vehicles are hit the alarm goes of for 30-60sec, after that a couple of red diodes could blink every 15 sec.

After respawning the car you simply hit the reset button, green diodes blink and you're good 2 go.

In this way the death rag for cars wouldnt be necesary anymore and it would be easier to see which cars are dead and which are not.
B9: Pol 1st mec
B10: Poldavian 5th infantry
B11: Ravens Guerilla Delta Plt!
B12: PMC UNISEC

Coffe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Coffe » 18 Jul 2014, 13:16

Shorty85 wrote:If the bavs receiver would get a reset button instead of needing to disconnect/conect battery that would be nice.

Alive vehicle could have a couple of green diodes blinking every 15 seconds or something.

When vehicles are hit the alarm goes of for 30-60sec, after that a couple of red diodes could blink every 15 sec.

After respawning the car you simply hit the reset button, green diodes blink and you're good 2 go.

In this way the death rag for cars wouldnt be necesary anymore and it would be easier to see which cars are dead and which are not.
If you're gonna have a reset button, I would propose that it should be mandatory for the button to be located on the outside of the vehicle rather than on the inside.

I forsee too much abuse of a reset-button located inside of the car (like the driver or passanger hitting the button constantly in order to bypass BAVS-hits), if you make the driver stop, putting on a deathrag, exit the vehicle and hit the button it would prohibit such cheating.

I don't like the idea of forgo the deathrags for vehicles though. Diodes blinking every 15 seconds doesn't give observers a quick enough indication that the vehicle is actually dead or not. Deathrags do.

Panzergraf
Major
Major

Post by Panzergraf » 18 Jul 2014, 13:56

Blinking diodes would not be as visible as a deadrag in daylight
Veteran of 12 Berget Games
B6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
B18 - Red Mech

Walking is for plebs.

BiohZn
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by BiohZn » 18 Jul 2014, 14:16

As I see it, there is no easy way to see if someone is resetting the BAVS or not, may it be a switch or not, unless of course it happens during battle (Shot out, reset, and continues).

"The only way" as i see it is to log everything the BAVS does so that it could be checked afterwards (after report or similar). So you easily could see what has been done when.

13.07.2014 16:54 BAVS-HIT (HITPOINTS LEFT 1/2)
13.07.2014 16:59 BAVS-HIT (HITPOINTS LEFT 0/2)
13.07.2014 17:01 BAVS-RESET

etc. you get the point.

But yes, somekind of way to be able to see that
1. BAVS is on and operational
2. (Now I don't remember repair time but let's say it's an hour) BAVS NOT reset within ex 30 minutes.

If those two could easily be seen from outside the vehicle it would remove a lot of problems and doubt. Easy way would be just one 3-color LED indicator (let's say 2x2 leds, that would make it brighter and bigger than one) on the BAVS receiver. Green = Operational, Yellow = Reset within 30 minutes (Should not be allowed to drive, nor will the BAVS work), Red = Error/Out of game.
B11 - Rico's Bodyguard - Iron Walls
B12 - Rico's Bodyguard

Panzergraf
Major
Major

Post by Panzergraf » 19 Jul 2014, 00:31

"Hey, can I just test if my BAVS 40mm works real quick?"
"Sure thing, buddy!"
*Beep beep beep*
"Yep, it works, thanks!"
*reset BAVS*

"Hey, can I just test if my BAVS 40mm works real quick?"
"Sorry, the new BAVS can't be reset within 30min. You'll have to walk 6km down to the safe zone to test it."
"...bummer :( "

Anyway, the BAVS already makes a special beeping noise when reset, so you can hear if it's reset in action.
Veteran of 12 Berget Games
B6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
B18 - Red Mech

Walking is for plebs.

Jakobsson [g.b.m]
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jakobsson [g.b.m] » 21 Jul 2014, 22:32

A reset button on the outside would be nice, but remember, its eletrical.. electric+rain doesnt like each other.

Repair of a car is 15min, 2h if destroyed.

Its some hype about making sure that no car is cheating, fine.. but all those ho dosent take a hit?
If someone wants to cheat, they will find a way. But they will also missing the point why we are playing this game.

No system will be 100% sure, help your fellow friends and do not allways count that they are cheating.

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 22 Jul 2014, 00:12

True
"go to your God like a soldier!"

Coffe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Coffe » 22 Jul 2014, 05:47

Jakobsson [g.b.m] wrote:A reset button on the outside would be nice, but remember, its eletrical.. electric+rain doesnt like each other.

Repair of a car is 15min, 2h if destroyed.

Its some hype about making sure that no car is cheating, fine.. but all those ho dosent take a hit?
If someone wants to cheat, they will find a way. But they will also missing the point why we are playing this game.

No system will be 100% sure, help your fellow friends and do not allways count that they are cheating.
If rain: use decent box or just a plastic bag around the electricals. Problem solved.

Also, after doing this for four years I've found that the more ways you make it less possible to cheat, the better. Far from everyone participating know the point of playing this game.

Individual players not taking hits can't really be dealt with aside from GM supervision. The BAVS-system presents more opportunities for control.

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 22 Jul 2014, 06:53

But in the whole big scheme of things, is bavs really a big problem? I know it has been given a thread here, but that is more "Berget gives this system, help us out" more then a thread made because bavs is a major issue. The setup in our car worked fine, and took out 4 cars from different factions during the game, with a 40mm and had no real issues. Our AT-4 also had a ok record. And we did meet a lot of mec during our game. The changes Berget have put forward seems to be logical development.
And just because people bring a car, does not mean they cheat more then others.
"go to your God like a soldier!"

Sgt._Shaw
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Sgt._Shaw » 28 Jul 2014, 15:09

Tiger_1 wrote:But in the whole big scheme of things, is bavs really a big problem?
I think not. Only thing that was weird this year were some issues with it in the bright daylight. Didn't encounter that at B10+B11.... other than that the system is just great.
Tiger_1 wrote: And just because people bring a car, does not mean they cheat more then others.
+1
There are always some faggots that don't understand fairness, but that doesn't mean you have to paint a whole herd black.
Berget 10: NAF 2nd Mech- Scout/Bv 206-Crew (Odin coy)
Berget 11: GCT Mechanized, Direwolf 1 - RATELO (D-1-2)
Berget 12: PMC Mechanized, Lockpick, Bv-206 RATELO and 2IC
Berget 13: GCT Mechanized, Lockpick-Coy: 2IC and RATELO
Berget 15: UPIR Heavy Mechanized, PBV Mech-Inf, AT and 2IC

Klings
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Klings » 30 Jul 2014, 12:40

The system have some issues, but like Panzer said: no need to make it more complicated. Better mounting and some indicator LEDs make a vast improvement.

Yes i had problems, but i also had sucsesses. I was the "main bavs shooter" in out team. I still dragged that big green weenie around every day (AT4), because it did work. Ok, some times a turret, flag og strong daylight sabotaged my shot. It still worked 8/10 times. I remember a great BAVS defence where two launchers working in tandem killed the BV in like 15 seconds at "just beyond AEG range". The day after the launcher died mid-attack due to moist air and temperature (not rain)

It's simpe. But not that simple, one need to know what one is doing. It's almost plug and play; point and shoot. But a "user manual" (Paper or online PDF) would make players aware. I was a noob, i've shoot about 20 vehicles over the last 5 berget games. Now i've learned what makes a good shot, what lowers and what increases your range and accuracy. The same goes for the receiver. First time i got one it was "here is the trigger, point, shoot and wait.

So a small leaflet expaling the basics of IR, The receiver, the tubes, the grenades , how to aim, why you kill 5 cars that is lined up along the road with one shot, and "how to ambush for dummies" would be great for new players, but also experienced players who perhaps never have tried the system first hand.
68th Poldavian Strategic Submarine Group
www.facebook.com/TeamFlecktarn

Mr Black
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mr Black » 31 Jul 2014, 23:08

Sgt._Shaw wrote: +1
There are always some faggots that don't understand fairness, but that doesn't mean you have to paint a whole herd black.
Thank you for speaking up fpr gay people. Not all of us are cheaters!
Hic sunt mortem

Nemo me impune lacessit

B8 NAF 5th Infantry, Plt leader Echo Delta
B9 NAF 1st Mech Inf Btn, Coy CO Cobra 1
B10 NAF 2nd Mech Inf Btn, 2iC
B11 UA17 (Captain Black)
B12 Civilian (Jim Tom Mudwater)

Jakobsson [g.b.m]
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jakobsson [g.b.m] » 09 Aug 2014, 08:57

If you improve the bavs range, please make the reload time longer so that cars have some chance to withdraw.
That would make the battles much more demanding and fun.

In the rules it say 15sec for the at4 and we timed the 40mm to 7sek, it should be double that time.
Now it goes way to fast.