BAVS Greanade, AT4 lanuncher and mech units

For all NAF (Nordic alliance force) soldiers
grasulas
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

BAVS Greanade, AT4 lanuncher and mech units

Post by grasulas » 10 Mar 2016, 16:41

Dear comrades, with the total clusterfuck we had last year when GTC was facing a heavy mechanized enemy, I will try to put in small words my experience with 40mm BAVS and AT4 tubes.
For those of you who never had experience with the vehicles and BAVS system this information is gold because BERGET sucks big time in explaining how the damn thing works.

All Cars at berget games have a HIT RECEIVER.

As you can see the “pole” has a mushroom look like device at this upper end, which is the IR receiver.

The receiver needs that shade plate on top because in bright sun if flooded with natural light the device will have a serious loss in performance, that means you will have to get very close to that device in order for your emitter (BAVS, AT4 etc) to score a hit.

All so in rain or fog the receiver will have a loss in performance, in fact under foggy conditions I had never score a hit but all so I was never feeling suicidal enough to get close just to score a hit. Old version of the receiver had a way better performance in low light conditions, Berget crew assure us that version 3.0 is at least as good in bright sun as it is in low light if not better but I had no such experience last year with the few cars we manage to take out.

The receiver pole has the markings signaling the vehicle class:

-One marking for class 1 - light armor, with or without gun mounted on it, with a BAVS grenade you have to hit twice to destroy it.

-Two markings for class 3 - armored fighting vehicle, must have mounted weapon with at least front and side protection, with BAVS grenade you have to score three hits to destroy the car. Sometime BERGET forget the mandatory mounted weapon and you can find class 3 vehicles with no canopy on top of them :wink: .

-Four markings for class 5, THE TANKs immune to BAVS grenades, with 5 hit points if I remember correctly, AT4 weapons or other tank gun is the only thing that can destroy it. I really don’t know how many times you have to hit with an AT4 weapon, maybe someone with more experience can give us an input. Last year have been only two class 5 vehicles, both in the enemy team ofc :twisted: .

This last tank has the most powerful AT weapon in the game his gun has like twice the dmg of an AT4 or something like that … let’s just hope is on our side this year :D .

I had never played as a mech unit, so I can’t tell you too much about the rest of the system for example the Hit point display from inside the car, or how you have to reset the hit points of the entire system after respawn etc. I can speak a little about the problems many people complain when it comes to receivers.

For example the battery of the receiver will drain out during the game without any warning, so you have to constantly pay attention or the system will not take any hits leading to a major outcry of those poor fuckers who are trying to take you out. This year Berget promise a new version improved with a Status flash, the same promise we had last year so let’s wait and see…

Many of the receivers have old cables or overworked battery plugins, sometimes those cables or plugs snap and broke.
I will really appreciate if someone who has played as a mech unit can share more light on the receiver and there experience with the device.

Now let`s talk a little about the infantry weapons used to take out the vehicles. The main weapon for this task it was and probably remains the BAVS Grenade.

What you have to know about the BAVS Grenade:

- You will have to switch it on and off. When you start going in a mission you will have to unscrew the bottom of the grenade to access a small switch to turn on the circuit, I strongly recommend it to turn it off ounce you are back in base and going offgame otherwise you risk depleting the battery.

- There are some 40mm launchers incompatible with the standard BAVS Grenade, don’t know exactly what model but this problem exist

- As you can see in the picture the grenade has a big lens in front, you need to keep that lens clean so during your mission try to protect that side of the launcher as much as possible, vegetation and dirt has the bad habit to get in the tube and obstruct the IR light flow.

- The IR beam should be narrow, forcing you to aim carefully at the receiver but last year had been couple of complains about grenades with a very wide beam some guys manage to shoot their own cars when use it to close, as thumb rule when you use an AT4 or BAVS grenade be sure you don’t have any friendly vehicle 180 degrees in front of you.

- The Grenade had a reload time of 7 seconds last year but with their nerfing I expect to be increased at the old value of 15 seconds.

Usually the BAVS Grenade has a range of 15-20 m, sometimes we hit targets at 30m but in ideal conditions after multiple attempts, your success will depend on following factors:
- Speed of the target, a faster target reduces your chances. If you plan to ambush mechanize unit try to pick a place where they have to reduce the speed.
- A clear side view of the target, any kind of foliage will reduce dramatically your chances. Any leaf, branch or twig will make you fail be sure you have clean line between your launcher and the receiver.

AT4 launcher is working pretty much in the same way as a BAVS grenade only that they have more damage, a wider and stronger IR Beam. I haven’t use an AT4, I have assisted a gunner using it, and from what I had observed I can say you clearly have a bigger range with this device as long you keep the lens clean and a clear line between you and target.

The AT4 launcher has a display to keep track of the remaining “missiles”. To reload the launcher you need to go back at the HQ, in reality every one reloads in the field all you need is an old computer key or just force the lock with a tool. I don’t want to blame or point fingers I just say it as it is.

The reload switch and the “special key”:

This year Berget will balance between teams the number of BAVS and AT4, I really don’t know how they will do that but will see. My opinion, we should rent as many BAVS and AT4 launchers we can afford. Remember you don’t need to rent 6 BAVS to use them in a RG-6 grenade launcher because you have a short reload time. Having small squads with multiple AT weapons and other large formations with none is pretty much the recipe for another cluster --- SPAM !!! ---. Infantry is more vulnerable to vehicles, especially multiple vehicles with infantry support. Think at the cars as a multiplayer force not a single OP weapon.

We need every single platoon to have at least one BAVS Grenade and every single company at least 1 AT4 weapon. I don’t know if Ian has any power to enforce this but it will be very, very good if we can manage who receive BAVS grenades and AT4s our self`s.

If Ian has the access to the list with all preorder BAVS and AT4, he can cross check with the final rooster and decide who will receive and who not, this in case there is a request bigger than the actual number of systems provided by berget crew.

Any other input is welcome especially from the people with experience as mechanize unit or AT4 users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiMQntgjGgk
Last edited by grasulas on 10 Mar 2016, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

Losolos
Major
Major

Re: BAVS Greanade, AT4 lanuncher and mech units

Post by Losolos » 10 Mar 2016, 17:09

The tank was in my police unit last year and the canon don`t worked during berget :) !

it was a good show but the danish guys had sooo much technical trouble with that tank so i don`t expect it to show up this year.

Very good explenation grasulas. If we don`t have so much BAVS and AT4 then please concetrate it in 3 or 4 units that makes it a lot easier.
B5-B17 on duty
B18 yellow Crow

B2fox
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by B2fox » 11 Mar 2016, 09:03

Losolos wrote:The tank was in my police unit last year and the canon don`t worked during berget :) !
Not quite true !
BE just had to build/develop an IR insert for the main gun, and it took 1½ day :(
That inspite of a LOT of mails to and from BE, regarding the tank...
But the two BAVS-Brothers pulled it off, and it worked like a charm.
It actually took out three cars with one "shot" in an engagement near the GCT base :P

Losolos wrote: it was a good show but the danish guys had sooo much technical trouble with that tank so i don`t expect it to show up this year.
True !
The old aluminium tracks are too far gone, so we are looking for a totally new solution.
Cast aluminum, CNC milled links, rubber tracks, and even a welded steel option is in play.
But we have to wait for our sponsor, to decide witch solution it will be...
So no tank this year :(
Nikolaj "B2" Poulsen - Team ILD I PIBEN

http://www.ildipiben.com
-----------------------------
B11 & B12: Ravens
B13: IKAROS Tank driver/Platoon leader
B14: NAF Delta
B15 & B16: Mercenaries "IIP Services"
B17: Bandits aka Local hunter
B18: Yes when ever then is.....

Losolos
Major
Major

Post by Losolos » 11 Mar 2016, 10:32

so really not tank :? .. "--- SPAM !!! ---" it was really nice build, and i hoped you made it for B14

but anyway than we will fight like tanks and kick that UPIR bastards
B5-B17 on duty
B18 yellow Crow

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 12 Mar 2016, 23:40

I know several of the Norwegian elements in mec have their own AT-4. I will bring for my unit at least. So we will not require extra from hq.
"go to your God like a soldier!"

Askorbiini
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Askorbiini » 15 Mar 2016, 09:22

I've played in several Bergets on both ends of the BAVS system, so I guess I could throw in some experiences I've encountered.
grasulas wrote:... for example the Hit point display from inside the car, or how you have to reset the hit points of the entire system after respawn etc.
On the BAVS unit as a whole, there is three separate parts that need to be installed on the vehicle. There is the main unit itself, which houses all the electronics and such, a speaker for the siren effect and the receiver.

- The speaker is quite simply a small voltage siren, that will get its signal through the main unit. This is connected with two regular wires, a + and -.
- The receiver is, like grasulas said, an infrared (IR) receiver. That is connected via a cord to the main unit. That cord is like those RJ-11 "phone & internet cables".
- The main unit is the "brains" of the system. It will receive the hit imput, it will output the hit sound to the speaker and it will keep track of how many hits you have taken. It needs to be powered with a small type (8,4V or 7,2V) battery, which (in the previous years) has been with a small tamiya connector. It has a small screen, which will indicate the hit status as a %-value, with 100% being a 5 hit point vehicle. That screen is a basic LCD-screen, which is ridiculously difficult to read in any circumstances.

To reset the system, you just unplug the battery, wait for few seconds and plug the battery back in. The system will start to the designated hit point value, give few audible beeps through the siren and then its good to go.

What I hate in this system, as a driver at least, is that it has no indicators on the inside of the vehicle. While in a firefight, I may get hit but I do not hear the siren on the outside. The only way to really know if I’m hit, I need to see the small screen which will display the “destroyed” text, and like I said before - it's just ridiculously difficult to see.
If the improved version does not add any indicators, I will add a signal light on the siren output, which in turn I will place somewhere in front of the drivers seat. That way I’ll make sure I take my hits as a driver.

grasulas wrote:For example the battery of the receiver will drain out during the game without any warning, so you have to constantly pay attention or the system will not take any hits leading to a major outcry of those poor fuckers who are trying to take you out.
I’ve had that happen to me once, after I forgot to unplug the battery while in the base at offgame hours. When we were supposed to roll out in the morning, the screen was really dim and when we plugged the battery again, no audible “system check” beeps could be heard. It is a good idea to keep the battery unplugged when the vehicle and the crew is offgame, i.e. while sleeping through the night at offgame hours, respawning the vehicle or similar.

grasulas wrote:There are some 40mm launchers incompatible with the standard BAVS Grenade, don’t know exactly what model but this problem exist
This should not be a problem anymore. Since last year they've used the new type shell, which has a narrower front on the grenade (unlike those in the photos you've posted, which are the older type). That grenade will fit any launcher that will accept regular 40mm grenades.
B5 - Finnish Freedom Fighters
B6 - Separatist Reform Party
B10 - Zansian Black Guard
B11 - GCT Taskforce / SFODU
B12 - UNISEC Mech
B13 - GCT Mech
B14 - NAF Mech
B15 - NAF / FinBat Mech

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 19 Mar 2016, 09:24

Nah, Iron Airsoft M320, the front of, and the shell case needs a lot of sanding to fit. I have adjusted 3 grenades the last 3 years, so bring some fine sandpaper and some patience. Also, make sure the sanding does not get into the electronics .
"go to your God like a soldier!"

MjProblem
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by MjProblem » 17 Apr 2016, 22:13

Good post Grasulas.
Each year there are loads of things people keep on asking or wondering about that should be in the basic briefings from Berget but no such luck.

The reload keys for AT4 BAVS were missing for our BAVS so we were told to find a berget referee/trustee in the field and they could "reload" the BAVS for us. That is completely unworkable in the field, the BAVS becomes a one shot weapon.

A workaround for this is using a screwdriver to "reload" the AT4 BAVS just stick to the rules of reload times.

MjProblem
----------------------------------------------
Son, you only thought you had problems. Now you have Major Problems.
B16 - NAF - Coy Cmdr (C Coy)
B15 - NAF - Coy Cmdr (B Coy)
B14 - NAF - Coy Cmdr (C Coy)
B13 - GCT Engineers
B12 - GCT 9 Ranger SF
B11 - GCT SIDU

DeltaLars
Private
Private

Post by DeltaLars » 25 May 2016, 20:19

Indeed good work!
-----------------------
Callsign: Larry
BERGET OPERATIONS

8) B18 - Will be there
7) B17 - NAF Inf
6) B16 - NAF Inf
5) B15 - NAF Inf
4) B14 - NAF Inf
3) B13 - GCT Sapper
2) B12 - GCT Ranger
1) B11 - GCT - Inf

Klings
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Klings » 26 May 2016, 16:40

During the dusk, night and dawn the range increases. I scored a hit just over 100 meters away one year. The normal range is 50.

The best way to use it is to fire down the axis of the road. Then you'll shoot the whole column. My personal record is 5 cars with one shot. 2-3 is normal.

Some unit that are poorly trained will bunch up when the first cars stops. Wait untill they stack up and hit all of them with the same 2-3 shots. Remember that you might create a huge roadblock doing this, but if it must be done, it must be done.
Some cars intentionally, or unintentionally have obstacles on the roof. Flags and turrets, both sides. Tell a GM if you think a car needs to move their receiver. Take a photo, tell the GM, tell the driver. Let things work itself out.

If you experience something that looks like cheating. Tell someone you know who are dead to go up to the car and ask if they can check their bavs. i've done this, and found several cars playing without the receiver on. Not intentionally cheating, but everyone in the back think it is the drivers job to check it, and the driver thinks the guys in the back turned it on. Make a note of it, and if it repeats, then tell the Game masters. Give everyone the benefit of doubt.
68th Poldavian Strategic Submarine Group
www.facebook.com/TeamFlecktarn

Bandyman87
Private
Private

Post by Bandyman87 » 04 Jun 2016, 17:12

Our team has secured an AT-4 for this year so it will be fun to play around with one finally, could really have used one last year though it was fun trying to hide and sneak past vehicles, was easy since a lot played music :D
Berget 13 - GCT Infanty
Berget 14 - NAF Infantry - 4th Section Operators
Berget 15 - NAF Infantry - Mountain Goats