Discussions, Suggestions and Questions about upcoming Berget 18
The Engineer
Newbee
Newbee

Re: General Questions: Berget 18

Post by The Engineer » 06 Dec 2019, 18:18

Arradin wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 17:03
Vehicles who get shot out can either repair or head to a field repair station to "reset".
We will try that this year and then listen to feedback.
Hold up! :shock:
According to rules the vehicles have to be towed to the VRS but here you talk about heading to VRS for a reset so are they still have to be towed by someone or not?
I'm asking this because I fear that on some battles with many mechs being pulverized constantly it might turn Berget18 briefly into military towing simulation :D
B17 - GFM Scorpions

"You can sleep in a car but you can't race with a house!" ;)

Arradin
Berget Crew & Site Admin
Berget Crew & Site Admin

Post by Arradin » 06 Dec 2019, 19:08

The Engineer wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 18:18
Arradin wrote:
Vehicles who get shot out can either repair or head to a field repair station to "reset".
We will try that this year and then listen to feedback.
Hold up! :shock:
According to rules the vehicles have to be towed to the VRS but here you talk about heading to VRS for a reset so are they still have to be towed by someone or not?
I'm asking this because I fear that on some battles with many mechs being pulverized constantly it might turn Berget18 briefly into military towing simulation :D
head to = Get towed.

Mech wont get pulverized if they start acting a bit more smart with infantry cover :)
Please send ticket & payment questions to:

payment@berget-events.com

Panzergraf
Major
Major

Post by Panzergraf » 06 Dec 2019, 20:38

Arradin wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 19:08
Mech wont get pulverized if they start acting a bit more smart with infantry cover :)
Problem is, as stated before, that with the range of the BAVS AT-4 (and that it always hits automatically just by pointing it in the general direction), your infantry cover needs to move well ahead of the vehicles, at least 100m if you want to be safe.
And if the vehicles have to move behind infantry on foot at all times, what's even the point? Other than maybe some shelter against rain, and a convenient way of carrying all your cans of energy drink with you in the field. :roll:
Veteran of 12 Berget Games
B6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
B18 - Red Mech

Walking is for plebs.

Elphieö
Newbee
Newbee

Post by Elphieö » 06 Dec 2019, 21:37

Panzergraf wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 20:38
at least 100m if you want to be safe.
I think you got it here. If you want to be safe, thats what you have to do. I don't think vehicles are meant to be mobile fighting fortress that act as a infantry section compressed into a vehicle shape. They should support the infantry and give them mobility by moving infantry fast over long distances, reduces the amount of gear infantry needs to wear like water, ammo, spare batteries and what else, therefore makes the infantry more agile in actual combat.
Last year with the FinBat we played as infantry but where moved all the time by two class 1 cargo cans without any mounted guns or turrets whatsoever. It was a huge advantage to all our infantry. We could be all around the map in big force within minutes by one or two transport runs. Over the whole day we never got exhausted and could exit the cars and clear the forest besides the road while constantly being in perfect shape.
But why didn't we get simply shot by any 100m away BAVS you might ask. Because even here there were other vehicles too that took over scouting and even dedicated recons scouts far ahead. We rarely run complete blind into enemy positions and even if the vehicles start to get blown up at the front, with the huge infantry clearing the enemys out, the engineers took over getting the vehicles back up after that and the whole force was back up and rdy to go.

After all these years playing big airsoft games with vehicles, I always see teams owning a car with some turret on top that start to act as armored fortress. Its never much successful. But as soon as they start to dismount all the hpa machineguns and start to work as logistic and support element inside a larger infantry platoon or company, things start to work very well. Getting attacked by infantry and knowing there is a single transport 200m behind them bringing more and more infantry to the front is a very fearsome thing to encounter. The single car with its MG that has to stick to the road without anyone exiting it is more like a thing I would simply go around instead of bothering with.

Mangs
Newbee
Newbee

Post by Mangs » 07 Dec 2019, 02:16

Arradin wrote:
We do not simply increase the repair time, we actually lower it aslong as you use your engineers at the field repair station. What we want to get rid of is frontline repairs which makes no sense whatsoever , the Convoy during friday was the PERFECT example: No matter how many times defenders took out vehicles they just kept repairing and inching forward until they just overran the enemies. This, together with the fact that there are more vehicles than bavs in the field and that vehicles cant be taken out without bavs make it simply too powerful without counterplay.
The only reason this was close to a viable strategy was because in that battle alone, you allowed the unique rule of 2 civilian engineers joining in with 2 regular ones to push the repair time down to 1/4th of the regular time (normally it was 2 engineers working together max). Friday was the only day in Berget where front-line repairs were viable at all. Without this rule, you might as well have removed engineers ability to repair, we never used it once when we were out on missions with one or two vehicles, because 30 minutes is an insanely long time once you make contact with the enemy.

That being said, field repair stations sounds like a good idea. As long as there aren't too few of them, it should be a viable option to allow vehicles to re-enter play without driving back to base.
Arradin wrote:
We want vehicles to stop acting like front line tanks that just rush into enemy territory guns blazing ( which you even covered in your video.. :) )
Outside of Friday’s huge battle, that’s never how we utilized our vehicles at all. We drove slowly towards enemy lines and took care to not get too close, and we still got shot out immediately as soon as we made contact. Our issue isn’t that we can’t “charge through enemy lines”, but that the enemy BAV’s takes out our vehicles from insane ranges, and we have no way to respond since they outrange us. Telling us to rely on infantry support is all well and good, but when we are out on missions we don't have a squad of supporting infantry flanking us on each side at all times.
Arradin wrote:
Infantry without bavs who get shot out by invincible vehicles have a walk ahead of them and cant simply re-appear in the front line, because if a medic runs up they would be shot too.
I think the suggestion to deny turrets that are fully enclosed would do a lot to hinder this. Our vehicles intentionally have turrets that are open in the back, and with small openings on the sides, so that our turret gunners can be shot by enemy infantry. If this was made a universal rule at Berget, infantry would have more of a fighting chance against vehicles without just having to rely on BAVS spamming.
-Team Flecktarn

Verage
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Verage » 07 Dec 2019, 08:47

We used field repairs a lot for our vehicle and vehicles around us. If i see a vehicle shot down, i send my engineers to help out to get it back in the game. With 2 engineers it was only 15min to get it back in the game. Our vehicle did not once had to go back to base for a 2hour repair. We drove 250km in game, doing the same thing that Finnbat did. Dropping off people and supplies, picking them back up. Being a support for the fighting force instead of wanting to do it all by ourselfs.
A lot of mech just want to roll out and kill things and feel safe in their guntruck, and then being mad that they got shot out and have to wait 2h.

About the TOW rule, vehicles will need to have to work together better. Helping eachother back into the game instead of doing solo stuff.

I agree that the fieldrepair time is very long but we have to adapt our game to the rules set by Berget, not wanting to enforce our gameplay so berget changes the rules. There is a reason why things change. Sometimes it will work out, sometimes it will not. But we have to try it. I know we can do it, come up with a strategy to use all those things to our advantage.

Mangs, i have a few videos about Blue mech just sending out vehicles with closed turrets and blasting everything in their path without any form of support.

TheSniper
Newbee
Newbee

General Question

Post by TheSniper » 07 Dec 2019, 18:38

"this unit is not allowed to wear a ghillie suit"

And

"this unit may not wear a ghillie suit"
(may not, means usually can, but they may not also)

What's the difference, if there is one?

Thank you.

Arradin
Berget Crew & Site Admin
Berget Crew & Site Admin

Re: General Question

Post by Arradin » 08 Dec 2019, 14:02

TheSniper wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 18:38
"this unit is not allowed to wear a ghillie suit"

And

"this unit may not wear a ghillie suit"
(may not, means usually can, but they may not also)

What's the difference, if there is one?

Thank you.
The old wording was " May not " and was apparently not clear enough, so the wording was changed to " is not allowed " to not be confusing.

TheSniper
Newbee
Newbee

Post by TheSniper » 08 Dec 2019, 17:14

Thank you

Helvetica
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Helvetica » 13 Dec 2019, 01:09

I actually like the new vehicles handling, as it is planned.

Yes, sometimes its a long time to get your car repaired. BUT, as already mentioned, its also a long time for infantry, to walk back to base 2 hours and wait there for another respawn. And then have to walk out again :-)

I hope commanders will start to use the mechs more intelligent, as the last year. I played mostly on blue side, but also once on red side. It was mostly, that mechs and inf did not work together at all. And it seemed, that it wasnt planned by HQ to work together. 2 years ago, we teamed up with some friends from mechs and filled their 2 cars with 2 Squads as far as possible. We both had different missions and went out together. First we helped them with their mission. When they got some contact with enemies, we left the vehicles and helped to clear the way (or retreat, if there was a strong force). Also we secured some points for them and after they archieved their goals, they dropped us of at a point, from where we could start our mission. They went back to base with just 1 driver per vehicle and left their other men with us to support. After the mission, which i think we failled, they came back to pick us up, as soon as we have respawned and we could head back to base to report to the HQ. On the way back, we had different situations, where we had enemies (about 1-3 squads) infront of us with BAVs... we retreatet with the vehicles to be out of sight and fought our way trough the woods. as soon as the road was cleared, we informed the vehicles and continued on the road. Since we were on our way back, we did not have much contact and could report back to the HQ. It did not take as long, as if we had to walk the whole way, but almos the same amount of time. But we reduced the walking part which increased the motivation of our squad. And the motivation of the mechs was also increas, because they had some action and were not shot out just after minutes.

After this, we teamed up with them for lots of more action. They knew, that they are mostly useless if they do not carry any infantry. As recon unit with vehicles, we could go to a point of the map and secure it. Just the cars with their 3 players per car were overrun very fast. And if you can fit 5-7 more players into one car, you suddenly have about 15-20 players, which is enough to hold a point for a little while :-)

Also, i had a BAV from HQ to guard a x-road. It had 10 shots on it, and when they were gone, i thought that i had to let it reload by the HQ (as i have read in the rules or the forum or somewhere)... After walking for almos 1hour, i was really confused, when he showed me, that you could just switch it off and on again :lol: :x But this would be a way to limit the strength of the BAVs, that not everybody is able to reload it. But i had problems to hit some cars on about 80 metres (it was sunny) and when they came with 2 vehicles, i had no chance with 1 BAV to hold them up. I took out one car, then had to retreat. they spread out to clear the woods and repair the first car, as the second hold the road and inf. searched the woods. As soon as they repaired their car, they pushed forward with vehicles and by foot and by then i was out of BAV-ammo :-) So i fought a heroic battle, missed with all BBs and got shot by almost every player which was there :-) My friends went deeper into the woods, allowing the red vehicles to pass by. It was a coole situation and when i talked with them a little bit, they loved the fact, that they had a real fight, not just roll in, blasting from the car, and roll out again.

BTW: Big compliment to the reds who hold up 5 blue cars this year, with just some sticks and some leaves :D :D placed 3 "fake mines" on the road and when we arrived, the cars were affraid of an ambush and did not got near those fake mines (from about 20 meters, you could see, that they were fake) and they stood there until we arrived and could scout the area :-) :cooltank: :cooltank:
B12 - GCT Border Police, Swiss-OPs
B13 - GCT Infantry, 3rd Platoon, Swiss-OPs
B14 - NAF Infantry, Echo 1, Swiss-OPs
B15 - UPIR Heavy Weapons and Demolition Unit, Swiss-OPs
B16 - NAF Infantry, Alpha-03, Swiss-OPs, Platoonleader
B17 - 110:th Special Investigation Unit, ACE MP
B18 - Cult Member

The Engineer
Newbee
Newbee

Post by The Engineer » 20 Dec 2019, 12:44

Since there is no civilian faction, is there any undercover players in game inside the factions?
Ofc there are some unofficial traitorous informants on each side for the sheer number of players but talking of the actual ingame designated undercovers ;)
B17 - GFM Scorpions

Arradin
Berget Crew & Site Admin
Berget Crew & Site Admin

Post by Arradin » 22 Dec 2019, 13:09

The Engineer wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 12:44
Since there is no civilian faction, is there any undercover players in game inside the factions?
Ofc there are some unofficial traitorous informants on each side for the sheer number of players but talking of the actual ingame designated undercovers ;)
There are never undercover people within main factions (Red/Blue) , it's not allowed.

The Engineer
Newbee
Newbee

Post by The Engineer » 22 Dec 2019, 13:30

That's what I thought :)
So theoretically Cult might have undercovers? ;)
And happy holidays to everyone reading this! :D
B17 - GFM Scorpions

pjdsousa
Newbee
Newbee

Post by pjdsousa » 14 Jan 2020, 17:20

Do Berget have any more information on the questionnaire that be sent to players who booked a ticket GCT _ SPECIAL FORCES, and the physical test that will perform in the safe-zone before the game?
Berget 16: Rangers
Berget 17: Montaniers
Berget 18: Special Forces

Arradin
Berget Crew & Site Admin
Berget Crew & Site Admin

Post by Arradin » 15 Jan 2020, 14:30

pjdsousa wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 17:20
Do Berget have any more information on the questionnaire that be sent to players who booked a ticket GCT _ SPECIAL FORCES, and the physical test that will perform in the safe-zone before the game?
Not just yet im afraid, currently we are working with commanders to get forums etc opened.
Players who are effected by it will be contacted