Feedback and debriefings from Berget 17
Panzergraf
Major
Major

Re: Feedback - BAVS

Post by Panzergraf » 09 Jul 2019, 21:43

vinni wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 18:24
Tracking would be nice for the BAAS, but perhaps not for the BAVS. AT4s are a ballistic weapon, you miss or you don't :P
The thing is that with the AT-4 it's almost impossible to miss, as long as it (and the receiver) is working properly, the "cone" of the beam is just so wide. If the conditions are good (clear weather, no sunlight interference), you can hit a whole column of vehicles with a single shot at several hundred meters.
I remember we defeated pretty much the entire enemy mech unit from a distance of at least 200m at one of the Viksmon games, using a single AT4.
It was evening, sun was down, and the weather was clear. Just deleting an entire enemy unit before you even got to fight them was just kind of... sad.
The AT4 clearly needs some kind of nerf to its range and "cone width" :)
Grape wrote:It kinda reminds me about the game in Graninge where a lot of battles were fought under the power-lines. And we got a number of reports about the BAVS system not working.
It turned out that enough current was induced into the ethernet wire from the powerline to confuse the receivers.
Two years ago we also ran into some problems with the very strong sunlight (amazing weather that year!). We were holding a crossroad when one of our cars suddenly started registering hits, but only lost 1% with each hit. No BAVS weapon is supposed to deal that little damage, so we figured it was a bug of some sort. Restarted the BAVS, but it kept happening. We waved down a passing GM and told him about the problem, he didn't really get it, but went to investigate. Turns out there was a red player with an AT4 luring nearby, trying to snipe us.
We knew weather conditions could affect the range, but not the damage output of the BAVS. So we learned something that day too.
Veteran of 12 Berget Games
B6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
B18 - Red Mech

Walking is for plebs.

Grape
Newbee
Newbee

Post by Grape » 10 Jul 2019, 00:44

Panzergraf wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 21:43
Two years ago we also ran into some problems with the very strong sunlight (amazing weather that year!). We were holding a crossroad when one of our cars suddenly started registering hits, but only lost 1% with each hit. No BAVS weapon is supposed to deal that little damage, so we figured it was a bug of some sort. Restarted the BAVS, but it kept happening. We waved down a passing GM and told him about the problem, he didn't really get it, but went to investigate. Turns out there was a red player with an AT4 luring nearby, trying to snipe us.
We knew weather conditions could affect the range, but not the damage output of the BAVS. So we learned something that day too.
I don't exactly remember but I believe that the AT4 had the wrong firmware, I think that it was an AT4 that was used for range-testing that was accidently supplied to a player. (I might be mistaken though, it was a while ago and my memory is not what it has been.)

The damage output should not be affected by weather conditions.
Panzergraf wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 21:43
The thing is that with the AT-4 it's almost impossible to miss, as long as it (and the receiver) is working properly, the "cone" of the beam is just so wide. If the conditions are good (clear weather, no sunlight interference), you can hit a whole column of vehicles with a single shot at several hundred meters.
I remember we defeated pretty much the entire enemy mech unit from a distance of at least 200m at one of the Viksmon games, using a single AT4.
It was evening, sun was down, and the weather was clear. Just deleting an entire enemy unit before you even got to fight them was just kind of... sad.
The AT4 clearly needs some kind of nerf to its range and "cone width" :)
It is very hard to limit the range of the AT4 at night but still keep the range during the day. Solutions that varies the power output depending on the light conditions has been discussed (within the bavs team) but will be very hard to calibrate and to implement on the current hardware. If we some day get to make a dedicated AT weapon-board we might have to look into a solution to this problem. We have also discussed a solution with some RF communication (radiowaves are not affected by sunlight) together with IR, but that would require a complete replacement or rebuilding of the existing receivers.

The fact that BE has sold a number of receivers and AT4's (against my wishes) forces any solution to be at least mostly backwards compatible.

The things that I think would be the easiest solutions to at least make the problem a bit less annoying (sorry for repeating things said earlier in the thread):

Add a forced "lock on" time.
Add a loud sound and a red LED (visible from the front) during the lock on sequence.
Inform vehicle-drivers of the strenghts and weaknesses of the system and let them balance the benefits and risks of driving close to each other.
Borduria Prevails

B7 Doctor / BAVS Crew
B8 Poldavian / BAVS Crew
B9 Driver, Ivanchuk Exports and Import / BAVS Crew
B10 BAVS Crew
B11 Tractor Mechanic / BAVS Crew
B12 Bordurian Diplomat / BAVS Crew
B13 Poldavian Officer / BAVS Crew
B14 BAVS Crew
B15 Bordurian Diplomat / BAVS Crew
B16 ??? / BAVS Crew

Edward
Private
Private

Post by Edward » 17 Jul 2019, 19:25

About getting receivers

This was 4th year for us to bring a car and again, nobody actually checked that did I actually have rented and paid receiver.
Of course at the check in they mentioned that you get receiver tomorrow and next day people at place you get receivers are different.
And how I have seen it, not a single time when I have checked car in, nobody checked from a list or etc that do I have it rented actually.

Especially this year, when we were waiting for receiver, there was rumor going that there would not be enough of them for all cars.

Other thing, mounting them. Dear fukken god, it just cant take more than 15 min per car. Like some cars at mounting point were there over 30 minutes mounting them and adjusting everything. Personally I think that you install it to the point that it can be tested and do rest in the base.( setting cables, boxes)
Ps. For me took under 10 minutes including that I had to search for tools and remake some wires.
B13 - Ikaros Hades
B14 - Upir Infantry
B15 - Mercenary/Mekaniks
B16 - Mercenary
B17 - GFM Scorpions
B18 - GFM Mechanised

Arradin
Berget Crew & Site Admin
Berget Crew & Site Admin

Post by Arradin » 18 Jul 2019, 13:35

Edward wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 19:25
About getting receivers

This was 4th year for us to bring a car and again, nobody actually checked that did I actually have rented and paid receiver.
Of course at the check in they mentioned that you get receiver tomorrow and next day people at place you get receivers are different.
And how I have seen it, not a single time when I have checked car in, nobody checked from a list or etc that do I have it rented actually.

Especially this year, when we were waiting for receiver, there was rumor going that there would not be enough of them for all cars.

Other thing, mounting them. Dear fukken god, it just cant take more than 15 min per car. Like some cars at mounting point were there over 30 minutes mounting them and adjusting everything. Personally I think that you install it to the point that it can be tested and do rest in the base.( setting cables, boxes)
Ps. For me took under 10 minutes including that I had to search for tools and remake some wires.
Thank you for your feedback!

BAVS Mounting is something we are looking to improve for next year. Many cars are well preparerad and go very Quick, while some doesnt.

Regarding checking if you have paid. You can not check in vehicles to red and blue side if you havnt paid for a reciever.
Please send ticket & payment questions to:

payment@berget-events.com

Jason
Private
Private

Post by Jason » 26 Oct 2019, 20:18

Actually at least I had not booked a BAVS receiver for the IGV when buying the ticket, as I did not even have the vehicle at that time. After the event I paid the receiver when returning it, but I'm quite sure that no one would have asked me to pay it unless I'd brought the topic up myself.

I did inform BE upfront via email that I will be bringing a vehicle and got an approval to do so, but in the queue I started worrying if I'd get a BAVS receiver or not. Luckily everyone got one, but I got the feeling that vehicles that signed in later were not taken into account in the receiver quota - and if it would have been possible to get receiver without paying for my vehicle, I'm pretty sure it would have been possible to others too.

In the end we actually ended up paying twice though, as one of our guys had to cancel his participation (and he'd paid the BAVS receiver too) and I didn't realize that he did not get the refund on the receiver. Understandably it's hard to track these, but in my opinion it would be best to have dedicated receivers (analogical to the arm band ID's).
- B9: The Firm / Zansians, Lima-squad, 2IC
- B10: The Zansian Black Guard, G3, 2IC
- B15: UPIR Shadows
- B17: GFM Scorpions, Zulu PC

S.R.A.P.E - At your six!