Radio communication

Topics and things concerning this game.
whiskey

Post by whiskey » 14 May 2007, 19:13

zub wrote:
The code is 13. So, when you ask someone for the code you say "Code 7", and then the right answer would be "Code 6" since 7+6=13.
A code like that is use full the first 3 times, after that the enemy will figure it out.
(could be used if a single patrol goes out, then they will make a deal with the gate guard that the code is 13)
I'd seen this work perfectly at airsoft events. We use just the numbers, without the word "code". But not used over radio, just shouting into a bush or at someone behind a tree to prevent blue-on-blue. As seen on TV... (as long as you've seen e.g. The Band of Brothers, after landing in Normandy the challenge was flash, the answer thunder)...

Eldoriath
Captain
Captain

Post by Eldoriath » 14 May 2007, 20:16

Sounds like good ideas people has. That danish letter-thingy when confirmation via radio feels needed and the number thing when out in the woods instead of flash and thunder. Should we try and go for that?

Also, zubs "manual" looks good. Anyone who has something to contribute with or could we say that something in those lines should be standard?

Only a month left, we must start decide stuff now.

whiskey

Post by whiskey » 14 May 2007, 22:10

Eldoriath wrote:Sounds like good ideas people has. That danish letter-thingy when confirmation via radio feels needed and the number thing when out in the woods instead of flash and thunder. Should we try and go for that?

Also, zubs "manual" looks good. Anyone who has something to contribute with or could we say that something in those lines should be standard?

Only a month left, we must start decide stuff now.
one more thing. if you are sure your forces are disciplined enough, you can change the code e.g. every six hours, to confuse the enemy. but, in this case, your forces must be at a certain level, otherwise there will be a lot friendly fire exchanges :D

biberfinder
Newbee
Newbee

Post by biberfinder » 15 May 2007, 01:07

Signal Strength
5 - Loud
4 - Good
3 - Weak
2 - Very Weak
1 - Fading

Signal Clarity
5 - Clear
4 - Readable
3 - Unreadable
2 - Distorted
1 - With Interference

Radio check:
AB this is CD radio check, over
CD this is AB I read you ... and/but ... over
AB (this is CD) I read you ... and/but ... aswell out

If both Signal Strenght and Signal Clarity is positive or negative use and
If they differ, i.e. very weak but clear, use but.
If both stations hav the same result use aswell to verify.
If the strenght/clarity differ just skip the aswell.

Radio checks can also be done by numbers; loud and clear = 5 and 5
Ordnung!

LoomChild

Post by LoomChild » 15 May 2007, 08:49

Not having done military service isn't always a good thing. So far noone has said anything I didn't know/couldn't have guessed, but there is one thing that I wonder (and that would be awfully good to know for everyone).

Who are you "allowed" to talk to, and how to negotiate coms?

Say that I operate around "map possition K9" and Alpha Hotel is also in the area. I want to know something that only AH will know (say, their exact possition, if they can be fire support, if they have a medic or whatever) can I call them directly or do I have to call my supperiors who calls him and then calls me back? Or can I just call anyone within my platoon? Or Corp? Or the whole army?

I mean, it would certainly be useful to call the arty to rain some steel over NATO troops, but I am sure I am not allowed to just give them a call and ask. So actual procedures for these things would be good to know, so we can train in advance.

Oh, and thanks for the links people. More study material! :)

whiskey

Post by whiskey » 15 May 2007, 11:38

LoomChild wrote: I mean, it would certainly be useful to call the arty to rain some steel over NATO troops, but I am sure I am not allowed to just give them a call and ask. So actual procedures for these things would be good to know, so we can train in advance.
usually only certain ranks/positions within the chain of command have authority to call in arty/airstrike and such.

LoomChild

Post by LoomChild » 15 May 2007, 13:56

Whisky, exactly my point. And I also guess that requesting firesupport from a normal squad from another company is frowned upon. And thus: what is OK and not OK to do. Who can I talk to and who should I leave well alone and let my CO handle for me?

We've more or less established the "how", but not yet the "who".

fixed

Post by fixed » 15 May 2007, 14:43

Well, if a normal rifleman has a radio, should he not be confined to use this for internal radio communication in his squad / Platoon?

Only the CO should take contact by himself / herself or through their radioman, to the higher chain of command, asking for firesupport or alike.

This is how I understand it,

This is as much a question, as it is a proposal :wink:

Brujo

Post by Brujo » 15 May 2007, 18:50

Official radios will be handed out to company leaders and all platoon leaders.
Squad communication will be individual, I suggest however that platoon CO's take care of unification...

Chain of Command expects orders to be forwarded to the last soldier on field, if a unit is not capable of doing this, they will respawn a lot and bring shame to red army for being chaotic on the field.

One thing that each company should consider, since I will have no radio-operators in HQ, whenever a company goes on a mission, they will leave one radio operator with me (be that on field or in HQ). It's a shitty job, but I hope you don't expect me to do all the radio traffic...
Radio operators will shift however from mission to mission.

zub

Post by zub » 15 May 2007, 19:51

LoomChild wrote:
Who are you "allowed" to talk to, and how to negotiate coms?

Say that I operate around "map possition K9" and Alpha Hotel is also in the area. I want to know something that only AH will know (say, their exact possition, if they can be fire support, if they have a medic or whatever) can I call them directly or do I have to call my supperiors who calls him and then calls me back? Or can I just call anyone within my platoon? Or Corp? Or the whole army?
Extreamly good point!

I believe its called a managed/UNmanaged network.

Managed: all traffic goes from the groups to the HQ, and from HQ to the groups.
NO GROUP <-> GROUP TRAFFIC

EG:
AA = HQ
AB = patrol Alpha
BB = patrol Bravo

If AB wants to contact BB, AB will Call AA and ask AA to contact BB and acquire the needed info

PROS:
HQ is able to keep track of whats going on.
Easier to maintain radio discipline, since theres only one rule to obey (HQ only, no one else)

NEGS:
Generates a lot of traffic
if HQ goes down the radionet goes down.
dependent on a clear line with HQ 24/7 = deep operations may need a forward HQ or forward relay station.

UNmanaged:
Call signs as above.

AB wants to contact BB and does this directly without calling AA.

Pros:
Time saving
Radionet can live on even if HQ goes down.

Negs:
screaming chaos when we are so many
- will require strict radio dicipline

@LoomChild; did i hit the spot, or did you mean something else?

LoomChild

Post by LoomChild » 16 May 2007, 13:35

Zub. You hit the spot right on.

Both systems has it's pros and cons. But even if one system is chosen there will be times when the rules aren't as obvious as it seems.

If you go for a managed network you might at times need to (and be allowed to) coordinate directly with another group. Again, see this as requesting fire support from a nearby squad. Although this should then be on a "per request from HQ"-basis. But with bad disciplin it'll be a pain in the ***.

Unmanaged on the other hand. HOW unmanaged? How far can I go out of my part of the army? I can contact other squads in the platoon, otherwise I can't talk to anyone else. But can I go outside my platoon? Outside the Company?

Of course I'd personaly say that unmanaged on platoon level but managed above and between platoons (unless specifically ordered) are the best of radio operators can handle the disciplin would be the best. That's atleast my experience from large events where radio coms were used (not AS/military though, but scouting events and the like).

HTN02

Post by HTN02 » 16 May 2007, 13:44

one radioman for every platoon to keep in touch with HQ and other platoons?

its unaccapteble if HQ goes down, radio's go down.

Finarvas

Post by Finarvas » 10 Jun 2007, 00:08

Our team will use 3-5 china-clones of motorola radios (Puxing PX-777p) 400-470 mhz uhf (pmr compatible), >4W power... We _might_ have one to lend to our platoon commander if needed. Tho still UHF they should be a least a little better than standard PMR radios.

I'm hoping that as much of the higher command structures has radios as possible =)

mr.mandrake

Post by mr.mandrake » 10 Jun 2007, 00:44

Good initiative Finarvas. As there will be no radios from the organizers to platoon-commanders, the obvious sollution would be that the guy/appointed radiooperator with the best radio, within each platoon, handles any comm with their CoC.

Erex

Post by Erex » 10 Jun 2007, 02:32

I will carry a pack of 6 Motorolas HT600 UHF (430-470 MHz) ex-service radios, not tried them in field yet, so we can try it on Berget ;-)