Applying for commanding positions

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
Brujo
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Applying for commanding positions

Post by Brujo » 20 Oct 2008, 20:14

1. DO NOT apply for more than a section leader if you haven't been to a Berget game before and if you haven't led more than 10 at your airsoft games...
2. If you are good and people like you, if you have been to berget games before and know how to handle people, you SHOULD apply for a leader otherwise someone less capable might "try out" the leadership thingie and --- SPAM !!! --- up an entire platoon or company with their prorrated self confidence.
3. Apply only as high as you are confident to have fun with. There is nothing worse for a batallion commander than restructuring a unit from scratch once an appointed coy CO decides he will quit, stop trying, give up, surrender and similar BS.
4. Be prepaired for anything and give your 100%, nothing less will do.
5. Keep your unit informed, busy and always in a good mood. Especially the last one is a characteristic that army doesn't care with leaders, whereas in airsoft it is very important.
6. If you applied for a position, approach your superior well before the game so you can all plan well in advance.
7. Never discuss, judge or criticise your superiors with or infront your soldiers. Share your issues with your equal rank, rather.
8. Understand your unit, know what they know, know what they feel.
9. Get your missions with your commanders or make your own missions but have them discussed and approved at HQ.
10. Call a full unconditional retreat if you are up against Yuri Orlows mercs :D

kjsaw
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Re: Applying for commanding positions

Post by kjsaw » 20 Oct 2008, 20:38

Berget is built on people stepping up and making an effort for the benefit of everyone.
B4 >>> B17
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Spof
Berget Crew
Berget Crew

Post by Spof » 20 Oct 2008, 21:06

Chain of command for the win!!!

8)
Veteran Gamemaster.

-" Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys... look upon them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even untill death."

RRP Taksi
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Post by RRP Taksi » 21 Oct 2008, 01:41

Yeeez, and plz remember that the command is 24-7 and also outside the battle..
Mmh..

B10 PL.CO 15S,2PL
B4-5-6-7-9 PL/CC (FFF/SRP command foreign and Swed) contact.
OPCR2-3

Ober-Lix
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Commanders

Post by Ober-Lix » 04 Nov 2008, 09:44

Guys with no leadership experience and some talent for organising should not apply for a commanding position. Berget 6 NATO was a good example for a company messing up. It was their leadership not the men´s in the company. This does effekt the mood of the other companies in the battalion. If you have the slightest daupt that the responsabillity is to big -- dont´t do it. You do not have to be the worlds best leader of men, but if you are, it helps. :lol:
Be aware that you are always in view of all people around you and not all of them share your views. :?

Ober-Lix
B6 2nd Bat. CO NATO
B7 Batallion CO Milo´s Tigers
B8 Batallion CO NAF 5th Infantry
B9. Batallion CO NAF 1st Mech
B10 R&R
B11 lets see
War is the continuation of politics by other means. (Klausewitz)

jurgen975
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by jurgen975 » 12 Nov 2008, 20:43

So how does the selection of commanders work in this game i can imagine that commanding 600 guy requires not only management skills but you have too a good strategical and tactical leader as well.
This post requires somebody with proven skills in the militairy field

Tystnad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tystnad » 12 Nov 2008, 22:45

Most likely, it will be done as always before: Berget will pick the Bn Cmdr's from a list of candidates. I'd say Brujo is well on top of the list for whatever side he's signed up on, for one. Basically; you'll get the chance if youre well known, have proven that you know what it takes and that you can handle it gamewise. Hopefully, there wont be any firsttimers with no experience whatsoever, cuz that would sorta ruin the game for a lot of people.

Eldoriath
Captain
Captain

Post by Eldoriath » 13 Nov 2008, 01:47

Agree with Tystnad, have served under Brujo for the two latest Berget games and think he have performed incredibly well (the same goes for Oberlix), but i also heard something in the lines that next time he want to get to fight a bit more, which i completely understand =)
B5. Russia.
OC2. Militia.
B6. NATO, Bravo coy, 3rd Plt commander
B7. Milos tigers, Sibiria coy, 3rd Plt commander
B8. Poldavian Psy-Ops, Plt commander
B9. UN, Coy commander

Ober-Lix
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Ober-Lix » 13 Nov 2008, 10:10

You do not neccesary need military experience to become a commander but if you have some it will help you no end. BE will take the choice of selecting the Commanders and prefere guys that they know. You must keep in mind that you will have a lot of planing and communicating to do in advance. Your command structure has to stand before Berget starts. Further more, you will be constandly involved with organizing, briefings and tactical planning. Be prepared to work hard when others sleep. You will have the highest workload of all. :shock: If you can cope with all this, by all means apply for command.

have fun ! 8)

Ober-Lix
B6 2nd Bat. CO NATO
B10 R&R
B11 lets see

jurgen975
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by jurgen975 » 13 Nov 2008, 11:31

what are describing ober-lix is what want to hear it probably hard work and yess it sounds very professional too have a command structure in place even before the game begins.
I think commanding a army of 600 guys must be done like see in movie black down.
A command structure planning and communicating and commanders in the field.
Well Ober lix you got my worries away

vardemis
Major
Major

Post by vardemis » 14 Nov 2008, 02:01

I had a squad under my command at B6 and few group I could assemble on the field with player who don"t want to rest or haven't had any action for couple of hours or so ...

It's fun but if you wanna play to not apply for any kind of commanding position. Because you should not be killed or worse. People you lead squad platoon company etc counting on you to fight and to win :) and more of that having a lot of fun !

you should think of their fun before yours.

for an example my coy commander leave at the beginning with one platoon, the 2 overs didn't realy know what to do and wait ... After my 3 hours guard duty, parts of my platoon take part in action on trucks but no places for my squad so after half an hour I take my squad and others willing to fight ask for a objective to another coy commander and go !

That was no fun, people were asking every 5 minutes what to do and keeping them waiting, gear up was hard.

this year i don't really know If I will apply again for a commanding position or I'll stay squad leader maybe platoon leader but not more.
berget5 Allied
berget6 Conrad's Mercs
berget7 car accident :(
berget8 NAF 3rd ranger
berget9 Money problem
Berget10 : NAF 3rd Ranger : Colossus Zero

[JH]crazydog
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by [JH]crazydog » 14 Nov 2008, 09:04

It is as you say varademis, every leading position from squadleader to Battalioncommander has at first to look for fun for his men and if they have fun you will have it too.

It is easyer not to have a leading role at Berget but nevertheless the "shit" has to be done. I know what i'm talking about and it takes hours not to say weeks in organizing the game in advance. But If you have fun in organazing and the talent to do so it is a good idea to apply for a leader

But don't go over your limits as I did at Berget 6 so that I must have a rest in a hot time. I specially appologize to Rush, because he had to do my work too. So look about your possibilities in advance!

Greetings
Crazydog
Jarheads never die, they just go to hell to regroup

Berget 10 -
Berget 9 - Freno's XO
Berget 8 - PSYOPS XO
Berget 7 - Yuri Orlov's Mercs HQ-Staff
Berget 6 - Conrad's Mercs XO

vardemis
Major
Major

Post by vardemis » 14 Nov 2008, 11:38

the coy I ask for other objective at the beginning of the B6 event was you when you send a group to one of the last antenna still up :)
berget5 Allied
berget6 Conrad's Mercs
berget7 car accident :(
berget8 NAF 3rd ranger
berget9 Money problem
Berget10 : NAF 3rd Ranger : Colossus Zero

Igby
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Igby » 14 Nov 2008, 22:45

Being in command of a unit of any size isn't an easy task. What you have to keep in mind is that you understand the mission given to you.

As a leader you have to be self-conscious about your skills as a leader also strong and have self-esteem enough to make tough decisions. One have to be able to brief the men in a clear way so that they understand what they are heading out on.

I know that I didn't do a great job leading my coy druing B5, but I know what I did wrong and what I have to do better if I lead again. As a person I learned alot failing my task, I won't do the same mistakes again.
B5-10

Ober-Lix
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Ober-Lix » 15 Nov 2008, 15:37

So, now we know how difficult and and time consuming it is to be a comander. You are actually working for Berget Events and you have little time for anything else but to look after your people to keep ém happy and get BEs organizing going - yes you work for them. :?
You pay for being there but should you not get payed for your hard work ? :wank:
Would be interesting to hear what others think about it ! :P

Ober-Lix
B6 2nd Bat. CO NATO
B10 R&R
B11 lets see