Sleepingbag

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
Spof
Berget Crew
Berget Crew

Sleepingbag

Post by Spof » 06 May 2009, 15:10

Most players don´t know the limitations of their sleepingbag. Most sleepingbags are marked with a minimum comfort temprature and a extreme temprature.

I would advise players to only look at the comfort temprature. If you look at the extreme temprature and it says 0 degrees it means you will not freeze to death if the temprature hits zero. But i can asure you, that you will not be able to sleep good.

If you follow the comfort temprature on the orther hand you will have a good nights sleep.

During June in Sweden it can drop down to 5 degrees at night so bring a sleepingbag that have comfort 5 degrees or below.
Veteran Gamemaster.

-" Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys... look upon them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even untill death."

[SoF] Lenny
Corporal
Corporal

Post by [SoF] Lenny » 06 May 2009, 17:28

I can confirm !!
Lenny
While you are reading my signature, your enemies are training...

B5 Echo 2.1 - Mobile infantry of some sort ...
B7 Yuri Orlov's devils : Company 2 : Platoon 2 Commander

WhiteAce
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by WhiteAce » 07 May 2009, 00:33

firm too!!

If your nt sure, take along a fleece blanked and stuff it inside your sleeping bag, it gives a lot more comfort as well. If still cold, put your coat or sweater on top of the sleeping bag... or a basha... just to make layers under which you sleep, the layers will hold a little bit of warmth inside...

meathead
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Blanket

Post by meathead » 07 May 2009, 07:05

General tips is to have a lot underneath you and over you and a little on you. Don´t stuff your sleeping bag with blankets. Have the blanket over you its better. Keep the warm air from leaving you.

/Meathead
OPCR 2,3 / B5, B6,B7
B8 - Not playing

StillAlive
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StillAlive » 07 May 2009, 09:30

very wise words, Spof...

general tip is to have a WARM sleeping bag. last year I've brought one with +5 comfy and 0 extreme rating and almost froze my balls. this year I'm bringing this baby.

http://www.kitbag.com.au/category616_1.htm
B10: NAF 3rd Rangers
B9: NAF 3rd Rangers, BRAVO 4
B8: NAF 5th, HAWK 3
B7: NATO, INDIA 2
B6: NATO, INDIA 1

SargeB
Newbee
Newbee

Post by SargeB » 08 Jun 2009, 23:16

I'm not a veteran from Berget but a veteran from scouts and I say use headgear! LOTS of body heat is lost from your head thats why I sleep with a hat on at nights out =D
G.S.A Kaka?

Ukkolzi
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Ukkolzi » 09 Jun 2009, 00:29

Most intermediate cold military sleeping bags do the job just fine, if you can't or don't want to pay hundreds of $$$ for a sleeping bag. The only thing that might by some seen as a problem with mil issue bags is the physical size, which is generally on the larger scale. However, they are mostly very affordabe and extremely durable. And fit the theme too! :wink:

Clothes that you don't wear when sleeping (field jacket & trousers etc.) can also be used as a pillow or as a lower layer under the sleeping bag.

Kvarnen
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Kvarnen » 09 Jun 2009, 01:57

A tip is to put your clothes that you do not wear during sleep in the bag that the sleeping bag comes in. A good way to keep track of your clothes and you get a nice pillow.

RRP Taksi
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Post by RRP Taksi » 09 Jun 2009, 02:11

Or keep them with u in the bag and you have reasonably warm clothes in the morning. :idea:
Mmh..

B10 PL.CO 15S,2PL
B4-5-6-7-9 PL/CC (FFF/SRP command foreign and Swed) contact.
OPCR2-3

meathead
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by meathead » 09 Jun 2009, 06:44

RRP Taksi wrote:Or keep them with u in the bag and you have reasonably warm clothes in the morning. :idea:
NO. If you put your cloth in your sleeping bag you get to things. Bad sleep and moist clothing. Never put your cloth i the sleeping bag.

/Meathead
OPCR 2,3 / B5, B6,B7
B8 - Not playing

WhiteAce
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by WhiteAce » 09 Jun 2009, 08:18

meathead wrote:
RRP Taksi wrote:Or keep them with u in the bag and you have reasonably warm clothes in the morning. :idea:
NO. If you put your cloth in your sleeping bag you get to things. Bad sleep and moist clothing. Never put your cloth i the sleeping bag.

/Meathead
In that case you're an exception. This rule is only for cases when you get too cold. If you start sweating in you sleeping bag, you need to get those cloth under your sleeping bag or head. In case you don't sweat and get cold get them inside the bag.

Talisman
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Talisman » 09 Jun 2009, 12:06

My experience tells me:
-Dont sleep with your BDU or any form of other clothes like this.
-If its cold, sleep with a t-shirt or put on some wool clothing or anything else that is underwear.
-If you got some clothes wet, or just want them warm in the morning, put them in the end in the sleeping bag; by your feet.
Strand

"A suspicious mind is a healthy mind"
"He who stands with me shall be my brother"

Berget 7 - NATO, OSCAR 1, DELTA (5)
Berget 9 - Pol. 3rd Montaineers, Recon, 5-2

Jonathan
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jonathan » 09 Jun 2009, 13:03

Isn't that a bad idea? If their wet, they might sog-up ur feet and speed up the chance of having nasty mushrooms..
day clothes should help out as pillows or layering under your sleeping bag
Berget 7- Nato - Foxtrot Coy - 4th platoon - RO
Berget 8- NAF - 23rd Batalion

Kartoon
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Kartoon » 09 Jun 2009, 23:18

My 2 cents:

-Bring a sleeping bag where you don't need to wear anything.
-If you wear something while sleeping it should be either wool or a synthetic fiber that pushes any humidity away from your body.
-Wet clothes should be left to dry during the night, dry clothes can be used as a pillow.
-Clothes shouldn't be taken into the sleeping bag, period. Not to make them warm, not to anything.
( If you can't live with the fact that in the morning you need to put on cold - but dry - clothes then don't attend this event. They'll feel cold for the first 30 seconds and then you're good to go. )

These are some personal experiences that have been lets say field tested. If you want to figure this out yourself then by all means go ahead but there's no need to reinvent the wheel either. :D
Mikko Läntinen
Berget 6 - SRP, XO
Berget 7 - SRP, XO
Berget 8 - Poldavian 1st Infantry
Berget 9 - The Firm - Operations manager

Berget 15 - FinBat XO

Talisman
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Talisman » 09 Jun 2009, 23:36

Kartoon wrote:-Clothes shouldn't be taken into the sleeping bag, period. Not to make them warm, not to anything.
If its raining, you can not leave your clothes out to dry. And moist will collect on all the clothing that is left outside.
Wrap a towell around your feet or a t-shirt. Stick wet socks and other wet underwear down by your feet. Your body temprature will heat up and dry the clothing, and the dry clothing/towel around your feet will keep your feet dry and warm.

This is what I did when I was out camping in the SW moutains in Norway, in January. Cold, snowy and wet as hell at night. Worked perfectly.
Strand

"A suspicious mind is a healthy mind"
"He who stands with me shall be my brother"

Berget 7 - NATO, OSCAR 1, DELTA (5)
Berget 9 - Pol. 3rd Montaineers, Recon, 5-2