Speaking english

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
JudgementDay
Major
Major

Post by JudgementDay » 27 Apr 2010, 19:58

Agreed there; it is usually helpful if there is one guy among your squad/friends who speaks both your language and the english language to a degree where he can forward instructions and somesuch.

And since this entire event is not about your personal shyness (such as volunteering for leadership positions and 'certain death' missions), even if you think you've got just an average grip of the english language, you should let people around you know, so they can ask you what the hell your leader just told your squad to do.

One more thing, although I don't think it'll need to be mentioned (since everyone will probably try and do that anyway): Keep your instructions and explanations simple and clear, and keep a notepad and pen handy for pictures (not as much a joke as you might think...).

That being said *raises hand* - volunteer for English-German communications liaison on NAF forces. Find me somewhere on the battlefield (most likely face-down in the dirt or waist-deep in a foxhole...).
Been here since B08... :)

JudgementDay
Major
Major

Post by JudgementDay » 27 Apr 2010, 21:04

Seeing how it's apparently hard enough to get people to volunteer for officer positions, I really don't think you should burden them with additional exams. I can see where you're coming from, Wandall, and I agree that officers should try to make themselves understood, but it's not like there's all sorts of people going "I wanna be commander 'cuz it's cool" and clogging up positions while there are more competent people available.

I trust that the Bat. commanders have a sufficient grasp of the English language (they have been able to make themselves understood whenever I saw them posting on this forum), and I think it's a little too much to punish people with "homework" if they actually had the guts to volunteer for this repsonsibility.

I can also see where Ober-lix is coming from there: It's not use if your commander is perfectly fluent in English, when all the soldiers speak and understand is a rare Bantu dialect. Just as the rules said, IMO it's every player's responsibility to be able to communicate and understand others - if you don't speak English all too well, at least make sure to find someone who speaks your language and understands English, and can explain things to you if you're stuck.

Not perfect, since you won't have that guy by your side all the time, but I think you get my drift.

Wandall
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Wandall » 28 Apr 2010, 16:50

JudgementDay wrote:I can see where you're coming from, Wandall, and I agree that officers should try to make themselves understood, but it's not like there's all sorts of people going "I wanna be commander 'cuz it's cool" and clogging up positions while there are more competent people available.
I actually ment that rather finding officer positions "kewl"/"cool"/"gives those 10 extra inches to my "pole"", some of these officer wanna be's (in totally neutral meaning) might think they don't need to know english 'cause there's always someone other around capable enough to translate... AS IF... You've got a good point too but I still find this extra burden more rewarding than using the global body language aka the finger etc. I rest my case. 8)

JudgementDay
Major
Major

Post by JudgementDay » 28 Apr 2010, 17:02

And I yield. :)

We agree that it is useful for officers to be able to communicate their orders and intel properly - so they, like everyone else around, should make sure that they can be understood. And if they already know their English might be poor, there's still more than a month to work on that, or to get a proper translator aide to run around with them at all times.

The finger should only be used to point directions or positions on a map. :wink:

Brekkjern
Private
Private

Post by Brekkjern » 28 Apr 2010, 19:28

Think about this for a moment. The squad leader trips and cuts an artery. He is the only one who knows english. What is the rest of the squad going to do? Shout desperately in russian over the walkie net? Wont help the leader at all. Having several members with knowledge of the english languge and a radioset to communicate with in case of shit hitting the fan, will make sure we dont get any fatalities this game.

I know it is an extreme example, but you are always to prepare for the worst. Right?

freno
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by freno » 29 Apr 2010, 16:35

No, i´m not affraid for that either! :P
This is one of the greatest international event, and the spread of diffrent language is interresting. In some situations the need of communication is important, and to understand eachother could be critical. This is airsoft, and my experience of earlier games is good. Problems with languages has been a minor problem.

I still don´t want to hear about specific countrymen outpointed...
Last edited by freno on 29 Apr 2010, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
B5 - B12 Yes!
B13 - Mr. PINK
B14 - BBB - V.President
B15 - MIA
B16 - B17 Bartender
B18 - Crow

Berget-events
Berget Crew & Site Admin
Berget Crew & Site Admin

Post by Berget-events » 03 May 2010, 19:48

Please respect the rules and your fellow airsoft-friends. If you dont speak or read english. Do your best and practice before the game.

* Thread locked *
Berget-events

Please send general questions to:
info@berget-events.com

Please send payment questions to:
payment@berget-events.com