Speaking english

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
Spof
Berget Crew
Berget Crew

Speaking english

Post by Spof » 06 Oct 2009, 21:09

To read and write in English is quite easy for most international players. But many of us are not from English speaking countrys and some of us only speak English on their vacations, ordering beer at the local touristbar once a year.

Before I go to international events, I try to start speaking English with my friends or family to improve my speaking ability and after some days it gets much better when you get your tounge right.
Veteran Gamemaster.

-" Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys... look upon them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even untill death."

WhiteAce
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by WhiteAce » 06 Oct 2009, 23:37

Speaking English is a must for al participants. It is possible that all of your team mates are hit and you get stuck with a person from your team but the one speaks only French and the other only Polish... that's a kind of ... ehmm difficult to interact from that moment... if you both do not speak the same language.
Eye, body and sign language is quite enough in battle field situations.. but to communicate about goals, targets, mission objectives... English is the language to talk!

pivo-lasko
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pivo-lasko » 07 Oct 2009, 00:44

well not for all,

but at least squad leader should speak english somewhat fluently
berget veteran

B5, B7, B8, B9

freno
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by freno » 07 Oct 2009, 02:10

On one side its just AIRSOFT so its up to each, if someone want to bother come to Berget just speaking chinese. On the otherhand you should stick to someone who´s speak swedish or english, just for your own security.

That means atleast 50% SHOULD speak common language in your team. Now i have to settle that you don´t need to speak flowing, just to make your self heard... This is my own thought!
B5 - B12 Yes!
B13 - Mr. PINK
B14 - BBB - V.President
B15 - MIA
B16 - B17 Bartender
B18 - Crow

Kartoon
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Kartoon » 07 Oct 2009, 13:55

There's no discussion in this. It's in the rules: if you don't speak english, you must not attend.

It's only airsoft, yes, but in the game you can easily end up in situations where verbal communication is necessary and if you don't have a common language it's going to cause friction. Could be in-game friction, which to some I guess is MilSim, but it could also cause problems: imagine an injured player who's friend leaves to get help, but he only speaks finnish. "Apua, mun kaveri on tuolla jalka poikki, tulkaa ny joku saatana auttamaan!"

It's a safety issue. Also it's necessary for the gamemasters to be able to communicate with all players individually if necessary. An interpreter wont always do. I know something about translating and interpreting and it's not only about changing a word from a language to another. You need to look at the context, the tone and theme of what has been said and basically transfer everything to another culture and code(spoken words).

For example I had a discussion last year with an italian Plt. Commander. He spoke little english (hello, no english, good, yes, no) and he had an interpreter. Worked OK but what we wanted to say to each other got lost in translation, as 10 italian words were suddenly compacted to maybe two or even just one english word. That's not translating, that's altering the content. It's irrelevant if we're discussing the weather but when it's serious it's important that the message gets trough. It doesn't require a masters degree to get the message trough, you don't need to speak fluid english.

Learn your english or don't come. :wink:
Mikko Läntinen
Berget 6 - SRP, XO
Berget 7 - SRP, XO
Berget 8 - Poldavian 1st Infantry
Berget 9 - The Firm - Operations manager

Berget 15 - FinBat XO

LukeAR
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by LukeAR » 08 Oct 2009, 16:14

Problem was in B7 that there were quite a few folks there without any english knowledge. I tried a few times to ask guys where is X coy or this or that commander and they only knew to tell me "no english". this is problematic....
Berget 9 - NAF 3rd Rangers.
Berget 8 - NAF 5th Infantry.
Berget 7 - NATO, INDIA 2-2 comms NCO.

NIN
Berget Crew
Berget Crew

Post by NIN » 08 Oct 2009, 21:52

If you choose to attend Berget without the ability to make yourself understood in basic english you are a liability to yourself and others.

Then what is basic english? You need to be able to understand missions, communicate with other players and marshalls, giving correct information over a phone or radio is required.

Someones life could depend on you being able to give correct and clear information.

Many players were concerned about the lack of english knowledge in some of their fellow airsofters on B7. We BE will focus our attention more towards this issue on B8.
Churn/HQ Berget 11
Gamemaster Berget 9-10
Head of security Berget 6-8r
GM Spetznas Berget 5
Master SF, Berget 3
Tjetcheny Rebels Berget 2
Project Assistant Berget 1

LukeAR
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by LukeAR » 09 Oct 2009, 06:55

NIN wrote:
Someones life could depend on you being able to give correct and clear information.
Like, say, give medical attention to an injured airsofter and then transmitting his exact coordinates to BE crew over the radio ^_^

or from the other hand - to know what to tell a medic (REAL ONE) whose attending you and asks "whats the problem"
Berget 9 - NAF 3rd Rangers.
Berget 8 - NAF 5th Infantry.
Berget 7 - NATO, INDIA 2-2 comms NCO.

running+sizzor
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by running+sizzor » 09 Oct 2009, 11:19

LukeAR wrote:or from the other hand - to know what to tell a medic (REAL ONE) whose attending you and asks "whats the problem"
I suggest in serious cases to send a fellow country man/woman (preferbly teammate) than has a better than averge grasp of the english language with the patient to the hospital etc.

Talking about the weather/missions objectives or knowing the translations for all body parts while under the pain/stress of a serious injury are two very different things. And keep in mind that the medic giving the aid might not be up to par with his english either.
Du kanna har h?lsningarna fr?n brabant
Polly soldier: "I suppose that if it rains really hard, Berget crew will pauze the game for a few hours up to a day."

Ocelot
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ocelot » 03 Nov 2009, 00:45

I totally agree.
At least the squad leader MUST understand and speak english.
I've a scolastic english, improved just with some foreign travels, but i think i can understand and i can explains something to somone else.

During the last 2 berget I often had to tanslate for my teammates and also for my commander, i think mine is the minumum required to play the berget event and really understand what the hell is going on :D :D :D

Berget 6 India coy: Medic
Berget 7 Lima coy, Sierra6: SquadLeader
Berget 8 Naf sniper
Berget 9 3rd Mountaneers 4th platoon 2nd squad

Cosmo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Cosmo » 04 Jan 2010, 09:26

I agree, speaking english, and i mean good fluent english can solve a lot of headaches and problems and gets you results faster. Random example off the top of my head from B7, i had to explain a detailed taxi problem to some fellow swedes so they can order me a taxi for me and my friend to get all our gear to the safe-zone. Or when i had to describe a magazine which i have lost. Not to even mention logistical issues, like asking information at an airport.

English just works, and in this day and age, it's vital you have at a bare least and bare minimum a good grasp of the vocabulary. It's ok if you can only say like "need know location ambush mission.. you show on map, ok?"
B10 - NAF23 - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon - Second Squad
B9 - NAF6 - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon
B8 - NAF23 - Foxtrot Company - Third Platoon - Bravo Squad
B7 - NATO - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon - Bravo Squad

Klings
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Klings » 10 Jan 2010, 22:27

My old boss had an interestin method when it came to international comunications. As he spoke Only Norwegian, he just repeated it louder and lounder with arm gestures untill the non-norwegian person understod it. boy, he shouted a lot in poland XD

But srly.. trying to command or direct people who don't speak english that just put on their :shock: W00t-face whan you try to give them orders.. man... how annoing. i don't recall how manny times i asked people if they spoke english?, sprechen sie englisch? parler anglais?, parla inglese?
Most of the time i found a guy within minutes. I LOL'ed when i got to speak some Japanese with a POW we took XD
68th Poldavian Strategic Submarine Group
www.facebook.com/TeamFlecktarn

55nilsson
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 55nilsson » 11 Jan 2010, 00:33

You could try this...I did last Berget!

Being a platooncmd. for the NATO-mecplatoon, during what have later been namned "The Hamburger Hill" fight (believe it was on Friday Night)

3 NATO coys, where attacking the respawn near Milos (close to 180 men)
1 company of swedes and 2 companys of other nationalitys...
Try to get 50 portugese and a lot of italian players to work as 1 big unit....
Close to impossible, when only a handfull speaks any english.
We where taking friendly fire from the rear, and to stop this, I had to do this...
* Grab one guy, ask him "English??"
* Repeat a couple of times .....
* Get him to radio his boss. (My words were: Your boss, here, NOW!!)
* Get the boss to come to me
* Tell his interpreter what I wanted
* Wait for the translation
* Wait for the boss to get on the radio
* Finally stop taking friendly fire.... 2-4 minutes later....

This cost me 10 - 15 guys KIA by friendly fire...

I´m just glad there whern´t any real injuries or so!!!

ATLEAST THE SQUADLEADER AND HIS 2ND MUST KNOW ENGLISH!!!!

NL_Lexxie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by NL_Lexxie » 11 Jan 2010, 01:12

To be honest mate, you where not the only one, my team experienced this multiple times whit the Italian guys.
I believe this was caused by the lack of situational awareness in a firefight due to the language barrier/ not understanding radio messages.
I also believe that berget events should control this subject bit better the rules state clearly that when attending you should have basic knowledge of the English language. And I can say I became very frustrated when I was hosed down by about 16-20 guys because they did not understand the phrase “NATO is coming out if the building” we shouted this multiple times.

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 13 Jan 2010, 15:04

Dont really see the point in going on about this. If you do not speak or understand english, you are breaking the rules of the game. So you should not be there!
"go to your God like a soldier!"