A note about your feets/boots

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
freno
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

A note about your feets/boots

Post by freno » 27 Nov 2009, 19:51

I have permission to qoute my friend Ober-Lix:
We have been talking about clothing, stuff to wear on our heads and a lot of other things but since most of us are walking a lot in uneven terrain with lots of rocks and stones, what about the right shoes ?
Every time I have been to Berget, I have seen the odd player wearing unsuitable shoes. Some even had sneekers on.
For these odd guys and those who come to BE for the first time, you need good strong boots that protect your encles and give you a strong hold.
Army boots, para boots and trecking boots are fine as long as you walk them in properly. If they are new and you wear them at BE for the first time, you are in for trouble with your feet.
Sneekers, training shoes and normal street shoes should be out !

Dont worry, what they look like as long as they serve the purpose and nobody is controlling your shoe shine.

We want you to think more of HANDLING your feet/shoes. The Brand of the shoe is also interresting, but not necessary important!!!
B5 - B12 Yes!
B13 - Mr. PINK
B14 - BBB - V.President
B15 - MIA
B16 - B17 Bartender
B18 - Crow

Gestaa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Gestaa » 27 Nov 2009, 21:05

I used my Jalas M/05 (the new Finnish Defense Force boot) last time in Berget 7. I also use them at weekend skirmishes. They're completely made from real leather (and also thanks to the improvements to the old M/91 design), which means they're totally waterproof. From inside to outside, which can be a good AND a bad thing. I'll just say that my feet sweat like rhinos armpits so let's leave it at that. But on the other hand the only place where water can go in, is where the ankle goes in. And the thick leather is very rigid and supports your ankle really well. There's been a few moments where i'd most likely had sprained my ankle if I wasn't wearing these.

The other "proper" shoes that I've owned and skirmished in were Haix (can't remember the model, most likely P3), made from Goretex. The material isn't really 100% waterproof, if you're for example trodding kneedeep in water, but close. Also it breathes, which makes a real difference when comparing to full leather. You still should change your socks atleast once a day :P
Also they were a lot more flexible at the ankle. Some have said from the M05 that they chafe a lot, methinks that's mostly cause of the rigid material and lining. I haven't had any problems, even though I have the traditional finnish "swampstomper"-feet.

Most likely I'm going for goretex next year, simply because of the breathing-factor. If I'm going for a swim, then i'll probably need to dry some other stuff too than just my socks :P

That's my 10 cents, just something to think about when choosing your boots. Think before you buy, what kind of use are they going to see etc. Rigid, robust shoes or something that you can hike in? (not saying that goretex can't take a beating :))

Also to always remember: Change your socks often, preferably more than once a day. Sure, the sweat dries but that's just a good base for bacteria to grow. And do they grow in a few days! Most likely in your boot too, not just the socks/feet, so then you have to disinfect your boots thoroughly once you've ridden your feet of whatever fungus that you managed to grow in Berget ;)

And just thought of something more to warn you about. Don't buy used shoes unless you know the previous owner has no foot fungus or such. Or never had, preferably.
Jyri "Gestaa" Lahtinen
I've been to millions of Berget-games. No autographs.

Cosmo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Cosmo » 28 Nov 2009, 02:51

Having good socks is vital not only for Berget, but for any prolonged use of boots in hard terrain. Aside from having corrent-size'd boots you also need thick but not necessarily warm, socks to make the boot be where you want it to be and do what you want it to do. Having your foot slide inside the boot will cause you to be uneasy about what you are stepping on and even misjudging angles on rocks and making you lose balance. This is the reason most 'combat socks' are made 'bulky' and 'form-fitting'.

As said before, have atleast a pair of fresh socks a day and wash your feet once a day aswell.
B10 - NAF23 - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon - Second Squad
B9 - NAF6 - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon
B8 - NAF23 - Foxtrot Company - Third Platoon - Bravo Squad
B7 - NATO - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon - Bravo Squad

freno
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by freno » 28 Nov 2009, 11:48

I prefer 1 pair of thin polyester and 1 pair of thin woll, but then i need to change maybe twice a day!! NO COTTON!!!

Eaven i have problems with bad-smelling moisture in my boots!!! :P
B5 - B12 Yes!
B13 - Mr. PINK
B14 - BBB - V.President
B15 - MIA
B16 - B17 Bartender
B18 - Crow

RRP Taksi
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Post by RRP Taksi » 02 Dec 2009, 04:20

I bought myself high-end hiking socks that breathe. They sure smell but i can wear them a couple of days in dry weather with my boots.
Consult a sports dealer like:Intersport Team Sportia
Mmh..

B10 PL.CO 15S,2PL
B4-5-6-7-9 PL/CC (FFF/SRP command foreign and Swed) contact.
OPCR2-3

vardemis
Major
Major

Post by vardemis » 02 Dec 2009, 15:51

schenkel tiger boot :)
altama desert army boot (Us army issued boots)
and french army boots

I will try to have this 3 pairs depanding on weather

rainy : leather : french army boot
cold : leather ans synthetic boot : schenkel tiger boot
warm to hot : altama desert army boot

all 3 pairs are wear regulary in order to maintain the flexibility et the form they have taken around my foot :p

socks : hicking extensive socks for warm or cold weather plus in the french army boot one upper sock (sport socks)

if you bring a new pair of boots keep in mind to breack them before comming by wearing them at work etc :) Or pass them under an heavy truck or wheel armor vehicule :) in order to force the flexibility :)
berget5 Allied
berget6 Conrad's Mercs
berget7 car accident :(
berget8 NAF 3rd ranger
berget9 Money problem
Berget10 : NAF 3rd Ranger : Colossus Zero

skinner
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by skinner » 02 Dec 2009, 21:15

Will be there a lot walking in wet areas (crossing the rivers, swamps, etc)? If yes, I'd consider wearing OTB SAR boots + SealSkinz socks.
A riflescope reticle is also someone's point of view
Berget-8 - NAF 5th Infantry Battalion
Berget-9 - NAF 3rd Ranger Battalion
Berget-10 - NAF 3rd Ranger Battalion
Berget-12 - will wear Multicam

ron the slayer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by ron the slayer » 03 Dec 2009, 22:37

i only have my NL Jungle boots
works just fine in any conditions

wet, dries quikly :D
hot, no problem there :)
cold, still no problem 8)

and.... how cold is it gonna be anyway ??
max, +5 degrees
still no problem :P

Ukkolzi
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Ukkolzi » 04 Dec 2009, 00:13

skinner:
The terrain is somewhat rough. Lots of rocky hills, dense forest, quite a bit of swamp-like soddy places and there might even be snakes. I would suggest something that supports your ankle and protects well. I'm going for well-treated traditional leather combat boots (Finnish Army M/91 or M/05), like in the last three Berget games I have been into. I suppose a good Gore-tex lined boot would also be a top choice.

Remember, good traction is vital in the rocky areas!

Jonathan
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jonathan » 04 Dec 2009, 00:29

Blackhawk or 5/11 boots like wearing tennis shoes
Berget 7- Nato - Foxtrot Coy - 4th platoon - RO
Berget 8- NAF - 23rd Batalion

Junior
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Junior » 07 Dec 2009, 21:32

got altama's boots
for anyone worrying about the price
I bought a used pair from ebay for 9$+delivery

Do you recommend getting a pair of goretex boots just for berget?
(Here in Israel the climate is hot most of the year so I'm gonna
use them only for berget)

Ober-Lix
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Ober-Lix » 07 Dec 2009, 22:51

Junior wrote:got altama's boots
for anyone worrying about the price
I bought a used pair from ebay for 9$+delivery

Do you recommend getting a pair of goretex boots just for berget?
(Here in Israel the climate is hot most of the year so I'm gonna
use them only for berget)
Boots that are made partly with Goretex are made specially for hot climatic enviroments.
Using Goretex makes the boot lighter and active ventilated. Moisture and heat gets out but not in if properly imprignated. They can be made completely waterresistend.
B6 2nd Bat. CO NATO
B7 Batallion CO Milo´s Tigers
B8 Batallion CO NAF 5th Infantry
B9. Batallion CO NAF 1st Mech
B10 R&R
B11 lets see
War is the continuation of politics by other means. (Klausewitz)

alecu
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by alecu » 28 Dec 2009, 18:29

But a top 5 boots to have?

And i mean well made and giving enough conf to your feet?

I understand that altama is not such a good choice?

Regards,
Alecu
B7 - NATO
B8 - NAF 23
B9 - NAF 6th Airborne
B10 - NAF 23rd Infantry Battalion
B11 - Taliban Tea Shop Owner
B12 - Taliban Inc.
--------------------
http://www.progear.ro

Kartoon
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Kartoon » 06 Jan 2010, 23:25

I've nothing bad to say about Haix and Danner. There are tons of different models to choose from and I'd be hard pushed to praise them all but here's a couple nice picks.

Danner desert eagle GTX is a nice boot, waterproof and light, it's like wearing a sneaker. However they are very warm so I would mainly recommend them for winter(seriously, these do so well at -20 deg C) and cold weather use.

HAIX Airpower Pro is a good pick. The shoes breathe well and they're fully waterproof, fairly light too. The traction isn't the best out there, but this is mainly only a problem on snow, they do well on wet rock. Very nice support on your ankle.

You'd be set back some 200 € with either one but they'll be worth the penny. The Airpower Pros give you a slightly better support on your ankle so I would generally recommend them over the GTX. If you want a desert boot then the GTX are a good choice. Picking the size take a half or a full size bigger than you would normally go for.
Mikko Läntinen
Berget 6 - SRP, XO
Berget 7 - SRP, XO
Berget 8 - Poldavian 1st Infantry
Berget 9 - The Firm - Operations manager

Berget 15 - FinBat XO