What to do if it rains.

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
User avatar
Spof
Berget Crew
Berget Crew
Posts: 139
Joined: 18 Feb 2008, 11:40
Location: Harnosand / Sundsvall / Stockholm

What to do if it rains.

Post by Spof » 22 Jun 2010, 09:36

If there is any risk of rain during the event, make sure to make the right preparations.

1. Dig a 15 cm deep trench around your tent and a draining canal that leads the water away. If not your stuff will get flooded inside the tent.

2. The tents Berget-events provide do only provide some protection against rain and if the rain is heavy you will need a 5 x 5 meter tarp over your tent. You can get one at any supermarket or gas-station in sweden for around 10 EURO.

Image
Veteran Gamemaster.

-" Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys... look upon them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even untill death."

User avatar
RAG recon
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 148
Joined: 22 Oct 2009, 00:22
Location: Scotland-Belgium
Contact:

Post by RAG recon » 22 Jun 2010, 11:24

-also take some strong plastic bags with you to store away any stuff you want to keep dry while not in use.
-if not provided by the organisation,make arangements to buy some kind of heating device.you can do this together with your faction-mates to lower the costs.
-to keep your feet dry wear plastic deepfreeze-bags over your socks before putting on your boots(tested and proven to work!).
Image

User avatar
Eldoriath
Captain
Captain
Posts: 319
Joined: 29 Jan 2007, 13:06
Location: Sweden

Post by Eldoriath » 22 Jun 2010, 12:01

When packing your back-pack, always make sure to have a large disposal-bag inside and pack all stuff into that. That way the back-pack can be forgotten out in hard rain and the stuff inside will only be slightly moist at worst if you've packed correct. If you want to go overkill, pack everything that you want to stay dry in a plastic bag of it's own inside the big garbage bag that's inside the back-pack.

Ponchos are good and handy and easily carried with you, but I would recomend to bring a set of rain-clothes still since they wont protect your legs and are quite often easile ripped, especially when wading through a thicket of branches in the woods.

Some extra clothes is good, especially socks, in case you get wet all through. Keeping oneself warm is important since then it's easier to handle being wet all the time.

Something to have on your head is always good, help you keep warm and dry.

Stay in a good mood. People whining about the rain and the wet is a real moral-breaker and game-ruiners. If you feel wet and cold just focus on getting warm, and if possible, dry. And make sure to keep yourself full so you aren't all miserable being cold, wet and hungry. A warm drink and/or meal does a lot.
B5. Russia.
OC2. Militia.
B6. NATO, Bravo coy, 3rd Plt commander
B7. Milos tigers, Sibiria coy, 3rd Plt commander
B8. Poldavian Psy-Ops, Plt commander
B9. UN, Coy commander

User avatar
diamid
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 234
Joined: 29 Nov 2008, 19:40
Location: Norway, Stavanger
Contact:

Post by diamid » 22 Jun 2010, 12:13

Also if you see some of your team mates sitting wet and whining. Take some time to speak to them, help them find a sollution. Not everyone manage to think logic when in a bad mood.

If they don't have the possibility to drive/get down to the shower, see if you can spare a seat in your car, or someone els can take him/her with them. Do you have a stove in your tent, or ekstra sock, t-short etc, be kind lend them. Socks and t-shirt don't cost much, and are a small loss for you, but to huge help for those who need it.
diamid
Proud member of 6MM
Email: diamid@6mm.se

B7: SF Sqd Leader - Yuri Orlovs Mercs
B8: CoyLeader - Sixth Mercs
B11: Batalion XO - Raven Guerillia
B13: Commander - IKAROS Minerva Infantry

Gary
Newbee
Newbee
Posts: 6
Joined: 31 Oct 2009, 22:18

Post by Gary » 22 Jun 2010, 13:05

When it's raining, do not touch the tent canvas from inside. Touching it will suck the water inside and tent will start to leak from that location. Also keep your gear away from the sides of the tent.
Berget 8 - Poldavian 3rd Mountaineers. 3rd Echo and later 2nd Delta squad

User avatar
FallenGuard
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Posts: 39
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 02:42

Post by FallenGuard » 22 Jun 2010, 14:31

Also, it is always a good idea to carry some Pocket Heaters. They weight nothing and don't take up space, but provide warmth for many hours when it's bad weather.

I was very glad I packed some for this Berget!

User avatar
Buckmaster
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 139
Joined: 28 Jan 2008, 11:44
Contact:

Post by Buckmaster » 22 Jun 2010, 17:29

Moiners,

me and my little group of friends walked on recon patrol in the rain for hours long. At PNR we changed attitude and went, afterwords to the Safe Zone for Coffee and Burger.

Change it, love it or leave it.

1. I can't
2. We did
3. They did. (Do not ask me who!)

Greetings and have fun,

BM
- Every live counts. Yes, even Yours. -

6-7-8-10-11-12-13-(14)

User avatar
-Cougar
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 62
Joined: 14 Apr 2008, 12:54

Post by -Cougar » 22 Jun 2010, 18:35

First things first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v54Ove_b ... re=channel

Most of the people on our side could not believe what they saw. Like these two fellas over there: Image
People from NAF-Rangers were leaving because of a little weather change? Wasn't it them, that were supposed to be the hardcore players of NAF? :lol:
I can understand if people stay in the tent! But those guys should go back to 3h of speedball at a sunny day to prevent them from ruining the whole game atmosphere by going all together off-game.

I was not bothered too much though. At least there were only the tougher guys of NAF in the game.

To speak for the Mountaineers:
If its not raining, we do no training. ;)
>> Einheit45.de

User avatar
Jin
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 94
Joined: 13 May 2010, 11:13
Location: Estonia-Finland-England

Post by Jin » 22 Jun 2010, 18:37

After the rain starts NAF base from 160 people goes to 70...sugar people

User avatar
sniperboy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Posts: 27
Joined: 02 Jan 2009, 00:32
Location: booischot (belgium)

Post by sniperboy » 22 Jun 2010, 18:56

Jin wrote:After the rain starts NAF base from 160 people goes to 70...sugar people
correction from 75 to 60 3th rangers
from the 100 in prisson only 3 arrived at berget
so at the big figth it was 30 man 3th naf against 150 polly's
Image
berget 7: mercenary 2nd platoon 2nd company
berget 8: NAF 3 rangers
berget 9: NAF 3 rangers

Victory belongs to the most persevering.
--Napoleon Bonaparte--

User avatar
-Cougar
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 62
Joined: 14 Apr 2008, 12:54

Post by -Cougar » 22 Jun 2010, 20:18

If you are talking about the fight at the ranger base, i saw at least twice as much people as you say. But i can't say, that every 3rd pold. was there.

When we were in the base, there were more than 30 people, although a lot of other rangers already went down the hill because they were hit.

The ranger base was really nice fortified, to bad it started raining...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
>> Einheit45.de

ron the slayer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Posts: 171
Joined: 10 Apr 2007, 22:02
Location: holland

Post by ron the slayer » 22 Jun 2010, 23:02

-Cougar wrote:First things first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v54Ove_b ... re=channel

Most of the people on our side could not believe what they saw. Like these two fellas over there: Image
People from NAF-Rangers were leaving because of a little weather change? Wasn't it them, that were supposed to be the hardcore players of NAF? :lol:
I can understand if people stay in the tent! But those guys should go back to 3h of speedball at a sunny day to prevent them from ruining the whole game atmosphere by going all together off-game.

I was not bothered too much though. At least there were only the tougher guys of NAF in the game.

To speak for the Mountaineers:
If its not raining, we do no training. ;)
Hell Yeahh !!
second that 8)

Stig
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 41
Joined: 13 Jan 2010, 02:19

Post by Stig » 23 Jun 2010, 05:09

Ill definitely be better prepared next berget.

One or two large tarps, a lot of line and a large net with firewood.

Hopefully we wont have to use it though :)
(and to be reasonable, we really had some fantastic weather this year, before the rain arrived)

User avatar
Crapgame
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee
Posts: 557
Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 17:40
Location: Vaasa, Finland

Post by Crapgame » 23 Jun 2010, 08:44

if you could make a fire there was firewood to buy at the gasstations in sollefteå. 70SEK for a net f firewood will get you trough.
B5: Allied MP
B6: Nato
B7: Nato HQ
B8: Poldavian 3rd QRF
B9: Poldavian 5th
B10: Poldavian 15th Sappers
B11: Blood Raven HQ
B12: Yuri Orlov Mercs QRF
B13: Ikaros Mech
B14: NAF Mech
B15: NAF Mech
B16: NAF Mech

Swedish living/working in Finland

ReconProG
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Posts: 35
Joined: 22 Oct 2009, 12:23
Location: Bulgaria

Post by ReconProG » 23 Jun 2010, 10:06

-Cougar wrote:If you are talking about the fight at the ranger base, i saw at least twice as much people as you say. But i can't say, that every 3rd pold. was there.

When we were in the base, there were more than 30 people, although a lot of other rangers already went down the hill because they were hit.

The ranger base was really nice fortified, to bad it started raining...
What you saw and think differs a lot from the facts.
At the beginning of the game the rangers consisted of 2 outfits, each comprising of about 35 men. 5 Swedes left before the event for some reason of their own, so us Rangers were down to about 65 people in total.
At the time of the battle for the ranger base there were about 20 rangers constantly outside the base doing maneuver defense. So, there were in fact about 40 people - no more - no less - inside the base.


As for how many Poldavians there were against us we can only speculate. The numbers in people's statements range very widely. I expect BE crew or you - our enemies back then - to give us accurate info.

There's one more thing you're mistaken about - it started raining the day after the base was taken (friday). The weather was great the entire thursday and thursday night.

And for the rain - the only thing it did was force us rangers to put on the rain gear. There wasn't a single ranger who quitted the game due to the "bad" weather.

The French platoon left the game after the base was overrun for their own reason. Not because of the rain. So now there were only about 50 of us.

In fact, there constantly were rangers out in the field throughout the entire rainy day of friday. One of our patrols (I was on it) patrolled all the way to the bases of 5th and 23rd Infantry and back! We also had 2 patrols working behind enemy lines in the vicinity of the base of 1st and 15th Poldavian Bn's.

I can't say anything about 5 and 23 Infantry but us Rangers were in the field the whole time, no matter the circumstances.
If at first you don't succeed, try again with an airstrike.
------------
JTF - Bulgaria
Berget 8 - NAF 3rd Ranger Bn., Dust Coy, Bravo Platoon

Post Reply