Frequency range on BE radios

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
FatMax
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by FatMax » 27 Apr 2012, 13:35

Can anyone tell what kind of repeaters Berget uses? Not brand, but type of repeater/duplex system.

Haineko
Newbee
Newbee

Re: Frequency range on BE radios

Post by Haineko » 25 Apr 2013, 19:20

Necropost but I don't give a damn:

Am I the only one here seeing problems with the 400-470 range?
Most people use 446, which is great.. For internal communications with your own squad, or with another squad 500m out. But if you want to be able to talk to anyone, at all, more than 1km away, you're going to have a bad time with these.
How will an infantry squad report in to their commanders and get their orders while in the field if they can't reach HQ?

I am personally considering bringing a 36 range radio, but I'm not sure if there is anyone else using them.

Cheers
Haineko (Viking @ Berget)

Arradin
Berget Crew & Site Admin
Berget Crew & Site Admin

Post by Arradin » 25 Apr 2013, 19:40

I asked this too, seeing as im Recon, and will need to report to HQ really far off.

Answer i got is, that Berget use repeaters, so it wont be a problem.. I hope.
Please send ticket & payment questions to:

payment@berget-events.com

Haineko
Newbee
Newbee

Post by Haineko » 25 Apr 2013, 19:51

I see.. Well, my friends who were there last game, and one of them before that, said that radio communications outside of the group was damn near non-existant due to a lot of static and the radios being too weak.

EDIT: Is there any way we could get clarification on this from any BE Crew?

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 25 Apr 2013, 20:37

Inf squads report to their platoon leader, he should be in range. Berget net is for command level coms from platoon and up (some special units also get radioes for reporting).
"go to your God like a soldier!"

KATADROMEAS
Corporal
Corporal

Post by KATADROMEAS » 26 Apr 2013, 00:19

About this subject,i have a question.What type of radio should i use?I have a PMR Mydland g-5xt.This one is ok for Berget or i should buy an other type like an vhf radio for example?
Thanks, Nikos.
"Who Dares Wins"
B.E 11 - Blood Ravens
B.E 12 - Yuri Orlov Mercs
B.E 13 - GCT Ranger
B.E 14 - NAF Ranger
B.E 15 - NAF Ranger
B.E 16 - NAF Ranger
B.E 17 - Mountaneer & Reconnaissance Unit

JudgementDay
Major
Major

Post by JudgementDay » 26 Apr 2013, 07:32

If you are an 'ordinary soldier', a PMR should do just fine.
If you are on some level of command (Platoon, Company, and up), you will usually be supplied with a Puxing PX888 (the so-called 'Berget Radios') from your unit commander; at least those were the radios issued from BE for the last years.
Been here since B08... :)

diamid
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by diamid » 26 Apr 2013, 13:58

Last Berget my team used Bowman radios for squads (Works perfectly), and cellphones for everything els.
Got sick and tierd of bad range, no-line-of-sight and all other people dropping into our channel.

We wanted to use Zodiac radios, but like everything els in this world. There are issues.

For Zodiacs you need a license to use radios on certain frequencies and certain sending effects. The reason why the radios are so expensive in the first place, is that Zodiac is paying for our license to use them in Norway - and only Norway.

All rules related to radio frequencies differs from countries/regions. In EU, the only common frequencies allowed to use by everyone is the PMR446. Long range use of this is prohibited in Norway (max. sending effect is 0.5W - with a fixed antenna), but I don't think the same goes for Sweden.

In that respect, the best advice for people who want their own radios for long range use on Berget is to buy the cheap Puxing radio. You can program this with your own frequensies, and the sending effect kan be changed from 0.5W to 5.0W (same effect as on our Zodiac radios). You can also get vehicle antennas for these radios for even better range.

Ohh, and a second little detail when I checked "PTS" (Post & Telestyrelsen) is that 68mHz is for Military use... I suspect that chances for getting caught in "Tullen" or by "PTS" are rather small, however when you start using things that are for Military use? I will give no guaranties you wont end up in serious trouble...
Last edited by diamid on 26 Apr 2013, 14:39, edited 2 times in total.
diamid
Proud member of 6MM
Email: diamid@6mm.se

B7: SF Sqd Leader - Yuri Orlovs Mercs
B8: CoyLeader - Sixth Mercs
B11: Batalion XO - Raven Guerillia
B13: Commander - IKAROS Minerva Infantry

Haineko
Newbee
Newbee

Post by Haineko » 26 Apr 2013, 14:23

diamid wrote:Last Berget my team used Bowman radios for squads, and cellphones for everything els.
Got sick and tierd of bad range, no-line-of-sight and all other people dropping into our channel.
This is sort of what I'm afraid of. I also have a Zodiac radio that I got from my father after he and his hunting group decided to switch from that to something else, and using this and contacting the PC would be GREAT. I've been hearing a disturbing amount of info regarding the near uselessness of PMR radios, even on Berget, and should I myself encounter that problem it would most likely seriously lower my enjoyment of this particular event :cry:

But, I shall take your word for it for now and simply go with a 446 MHz radio.

Cheers
Haineko (Viking @ Berget)

JKangas
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JKangas » 27 Apr 2013, 13:09

(might have written this someplace else already...) Hint for Puxings, or for any other more advanced radios: you should find adjustable squelch somewhere in the settings. This is what controls the signal strength needed for the radio to actually start receiving. Crank it up high. I think I used something like 7/10.

You will not be able to communicate over long/medium range with 446 frequencies anyway due to interference, so it does not matter if your radio drops weaker transmissions. Radios on your teammates on the other hand will punch through both the squelch setting and interference from more distant radios. So you will get most of the time stellar-quality close-range reception without having to listen to constant static. Just be aware that if your teammates are even a bit more distant than usual, they will drop out of comms quickly. For occasional need to bypass the squelch (to listen to a more distant teammate), most radios have a separate button.

Just handle PMRs in Berget as very close range radios and there's no need to punch transmitting power to 5 watts.
B8: 1st Poldavian, 1st Coy, Fox Sq. 3
B9: The Firm, Zansian Sq. K, Pizza Delivery Guy
B10: Zansian 1st Coy, Alpha Pl, 1st Sq.
B11: Raven Guerilla Mursu Coy, Alpha Pl, Alpha Sq.
B13: Ikaros Mursu Coy, 1st Pl, 1st Sq. "Front Squat - Etukyykky"
B15: NAF FINBAT Air Cav, Fox 3 Pl.

chikko72
Newbee
Newbee

Post by chikko72 » 11 May 2014, 11:54

HERE IS THE CHArt if you want to simplex your puxing /baofeng/yaesu/wouxun/icom/kenwood/ uhf walkie radio to a PMR radio

PMR CHANNELS
PMR CHANNELS ON UHF FREQUENCIES CHART
6.25 step mode
YOU CAN ADD CTCSS TO :P OVER AND OUT :D

Medved {VAL-St.Pet.}
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Medved {VAL-St.Pet.} » 11 May 2014, 22:37

Yaesu!!!!
one of the best... :!:
BERGET-10 Poldavian 3rd Mountaineers