Military rank.

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
blackwidow
Private
Private

Military rank.

Post by blackwidow » 16 May 2012, 17:35

In many airsoft teams, you see folks wearing the rank of actual soldiers, which tends to make the real veterans bristle. So my question is this. If you play a sgt, captain, lieutenant, major, or a general in your hometown airsoft games, can you wear the same rank at BE when assigned to a unit?

Or does this matter, since the playee who wears that rank is not in charge to begin with, and everybody is out in the boonies?

JudgementDay
Major
Major

Post by JudgementDay » 16 May 2012, 17:42

Largely depends on the players you work with.
Best advice is to talk to the 'officer' (Battalion Commander, Company Commander, Platoon Commander) in charge of your group during the game if he/she minds or not.

Usually, since Berget uses a different set of officer markings, it should not create confusion about your in-game rank, but I know that many players with real military background dislike Airsofters wearing a rank they haven't 'earned', so to say.

As with most things in Berget, talking about the issue with other players and reaching an agreement is always the best solution.
Been here since B08... :)

Waldo
Captain
Captain

Post by Waldo » 16 May 2012, 17:42

It is up to you what kind of insignia you patch on your uniform. the only rank patches that matter are the ones provided by BE.

By the way: Your questions should better be posted in the general discussion subforum :)
B9: Pol. 320th Arty - Coy Cmd
B10: 45th Mountaineer Sappers ("Sapperneers") - Wiley 2-2
B11-B13: Serving the country
B14: UPIR - Righteous Employee

Ober-Lix
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Ober-Lix » 17 May 2012, 10:56

If you have earned during military service a particular rank, in my view you should be able to wear it because it is part of your uniform. It has the added advantage for other players to see that you have or had military experience. Those who have not had military service but still wearing rank patches that are not earned during military service, should not do it out of respect from those who have. It could also be seen as an insult to those who have. The "Berget Rank" you have been given for the event, is specific and quite sufficent to show what position you cover in the game.
B6 2nd Bat. CO NATO
B7 Batallion CO Milo´s Tigers
B8 Batallion CO NAF 5th Infantry
B9. Batallion CO NAF 1st Mech
B10 R&R
B11 lets see
War is the continuation of politics by other means. (Klausewitz)

jdoe
Captain
Captain

Post by jdoe » 17 May 2012, 20:07

There are many views on this, and I do understand (heartily) your point too Ober-Lix.

My view is, airsoft is impersonating and acting, quite 100% so. There are different levels of realism, for sure, but the main idea of airsoft is playing war when there is none. So, wearing repro rank insignia when you don't have one IRL is not a problem in my view. Especially when you think most countries in the world today have professional armies and many airsoft-players are "civilians".

Wearing some other military honors, however, is where I personally draw the line. I don't wear any honorary badges or medal bars unless I am impersonating (=re-enacting) or acting one. Airsofting, I don't use any of those things.

If you want to draw more lines, I personally despise wearing REAL, issued medals in any occasion, if it is not yours. Someone has been awarded those medals, and they shouldn't be worn by ANYONE else. Reproduction awards have no real value, so I don't see them as a problem.
B16 - The Firm / Gun for hire
B15 - CPT/HQ/FinBat
B10 - 1st Coy CO / Zansian "Black Guard" Btn XO
B8 - I/1.Coy/1st Pold.Inf, Platoon Ldr (Fox 1-0)
B7 - SRP Fox Platoon 2IC/Arty FO
B5 - FFF Oulu Platoon Ldr

Lokke
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lokke » 17 May 2012, 21:16

Rank insignia has nothing to do in Airsoft.

Earned or not, dont flash it.
Berget 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ,13, 14. 15. Soon 16

Lokke

www.ostfoldmilsim.no
fb: Ostfoldmilsim

freno
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by freno » 17 May 2012, 22:41

Lokke wrote:Rank insignia has nothing to do in Airsoft.

Earned or not, dont flash it.
...still it´s not a crime to wear it, but it was earlier in sweden! (To use military-insignia, and uniform when not in service).
B5 - B12 Yes!
B13 - Mr. PINK
B14 - BBB - V.President
B15 - MIA
B16 - B17 Bartender
B18 - Crow

Geboren
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Geboren » 18 May 2012, 19:53

Wear whatever you want... In BE, we shot first and loot you after. No cup of tea for officer :D .
http://www.oda541.com

B7 NATO Foxtrot 2 platoon leader
B8 NATO Foxtrott
B10 POL 3d Mountaineers 3d Coy, 1st Plt Leader
B11 Blood Ravens Recon Platoon Leader

RRP Taksi
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Post by RRP Taksi » 25 Jun 2012, 09:38

Remember that 70% of airsoft is posing.

However, keep in mind to respect what the actual insignia and rankholders have endured before you wear them.

I personally concent to people who have earned them wearing them.
I also do frown upon wearing unitspecific markings of any sort other than once earned.

BE usually hands out in-game rankinsignia.
Mmh..

B10 PL.CO 15S,2PL
B4-5-6-7-9 PL/CC (FFF/SRP command foreign and Swed) contact.
OPCR2-3