Smoke grenades

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
olaman
Corporal
Corporal

Post by olaman » 04 Jun 2012, 16:05

I had one of them badboys land between my legs while I was sitting on the floor.
Someone yelled "throw it back out!", but I didn't, I just scrambled to my feet and got away from the smoke, when suddenly the entire grenade exploded!

Lucky I didn't pick it up, and lucky my balls didn't blow off.

So if you think that these aren't a safety/fire-hazard - Think again!

NIN
Berget Crew
Berget Crew

Post by NIN » 04 Jun 2012, 17:17

While we are on the subject of fire I would like to remind everyone only to make fire in prebuilt fireplaces and or fireplaces approved by BE. Security will make rounds to the bases before the game make sure to show them where you plan to make fires.

Furhermore, all of you who smoke during Berget, plz take care of your cigarette butts.
Churn/HQ Berget 11
Gamemaster Berget 9-10
Head of security Berget 6-8r
GM Spetznas Berget 5
Master SF, Berget 3
Tjetcheny Rebels Berget 2
Project Assistant Berget 1

Creep
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Creep » 04 Jun 2012, 17:33

NIN wrote:While we are on the subject of fire I would like to remind everyone only to make fire in prebuilt fireplaces and or fireplaces approved by BE. Security will make rounds to the bases before the game make sure to show them where you plan to make fires.

Furhermore, all of you who smoke during Berget, plz take care of your cigarette butts.
+1

But this should go in a separate Thread/Sticky/Rules (maybe something like "Fireprecautions" or so...) since it is a little bit lost/has too little audience in this topic...
creep
-----
B9 - UN Forces
B10 - We are the good guys...

Coffe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Coffe » 05 Jun 2012, 00:33

NIN wrote: Furhermore, all of you who smoke during Berget, plz take care of your cigarette butts.
This is both due to potential fire hazards AND to prevent littering I presume?

Since cigarette butts aren't made purely of biodegradable materials I mean. (cigars are however completely biodegradable aside from the label wrapper, but anyone smoking a cigar with the label wrapper still attached should really learn some manners since it is a violation of etiquette to show off what brand you're smoking)

So just for the sake of asking: would discarded cigar butts soaked thoroughly in water (perhaps from ones camelbak) be okay?

Or am I going to have to attach yet another pocket to my rig for use as a portable ashtray? :wink:

NIN
Berget Crew
Berget Crew

Post by NIN » 05 Jun 2012, 09:18

Soaking in water is ok, just dont burn down the gamesite ;)
Churn/HQ Berget 11
Gamemaster Berget 9-10
GM Spetznas Berget 5
Master SF, Berget 3

Crapgame
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Crapgame » 05 Jun 2012, 10:30

take a pouch and stuff a water filled jar in it and then butt your cigarette butts in that, solved the problem of pollution in nature :lol:

"We each carry our own shit" - Bravo Two Zero
B5: Allied
B6: Nato
B7: Nato HQ
B8: Poldavian 3rd QRF
B9: Poldavian 5th
B10: Poldavian 15th Sappers
B11: Blood Raven HQ
B12: Yuri Orlov Mercs QRF
B13: Ikaros Mech
B14: NAF Mech
B15: NAF Mech
B16: NAF Mech
B18: GCT Mech
Swedish & Finnish: living/working in Finland

J82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by J82 » 05 Jun 2012, 14:53

I understand the that Berget Crew needs to be on the top whit everything thats happening and fire risk controll is one of them. No we dont want to lose the berget gaming area ofc but what are the ISO standards that are required for a smoke grenade to be used in Berget events? Imean I've seen those grenades being hold in hand whole time untill they had stopped smoking. :)

Imean if we start to split hairs here: smokers, lipo batteries, camp fires, hot exhaust pipes... Well i think we all get the point.

Hopefully something can be arranged in the future so we could enjoy our favourite hobby whit one more "extra twist" :)

WhiteAce
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by WhiteAce » 05 Jun 2012, 15:12

I don't think smokes will ever be allowed. Things could be "arranged as you state J82, but the thing is... every year people are not able to stick to simple rules like the hit rules or fps rules. Also the camo thread is filled with questions and answers and still there are people coming to the game site, using the wrong camo suits...

So a thing as obvious as smokes are under even more strict rules and with good reason.
Berget 5: 2IC Spetsnaz.
Berget 6: CoyCO NATO Golf coy.
Berget 7: PtnCO 2nd platoon 2nd coy
Berget 8: 3rd Rangers Battalion:
Berget 10: Co of NAF forces

Creep
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Creep » 05 Jun 2012, 15:36

WhiteAce wrote:I don't think smokes will ever be allowed. Things could be "arranged as you state J82, but the thing is... every year people are not able to stick to simple rules like the hit rules or fps rules. Also the camo thread is filled with questions and answers and still there are people coming to the game site, using the wrong camo suits...

So a thing as obvious as smokes are under even more strict rules and with good reason.
+1

Other examples are safety distances and what ammo to use... These points are _so_ clearly written in the rules and nonetheless last year we had full-auto-salvos from less than 3 meters (in the heat of the action :o ) and ammo used, that broke the windshield of a car (choosing/bringing the right ammo does _not_ happen in the heat of the action... :evil: )

While this was bad enough, burning down the gamesite could even be more severe - obviously...

Like I said before:
Creep wrote:Unless they build a grenade that smokes at less than... let's say 200°C (or at least well below _any_ ignition temperature)...

DON'T USE THEM!!!
Please? With sugar on top?
creep
-----
B9 - UN Forces

Naitzo
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Naitzo » 08 Jun 2012, 00:13

What about el-ignited smoke systems mounted on vehicles?
Best regards, Naitzo.
GOA Norway.
B9- Poldavian 1st Mechanized. Driver
B10- Poldavian 21st Mechanized. Driver
B11- Ravens Guerilla, Mechanized "Panzer Comp", Squad 2. Driver
B12- Engine failure, did not attend.
B13- lol
[LB4LG]

NIN
Berget Crew
Berget Crew

Post by NIN » 08 Jun 2012, 09:00

Like systems used in clubs?

If you do something like that make sure to get the OK when you mount BAVS and get your vehicle approved.
Churn/HQ Berget 11
Gamemaster Berget 9-10
GM Spetznas Berget 5
Master SF, Berget 3

Naitzo
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Naitzo » 16 Jun 2012, 22:57

NIN wrote:Like systems used in clubs?

If you do something like that make sure to get the OK when you mount BAVS and get your vehicle approved.
It's more like tubes with smoke grenades in them. A little project of mine. My main concern is
safety and fire so i tested it today (16th june 2012) Test with 30 sec TLSFx purple smoke grenade.

How it works: a 9 volt battery overloads a micro blasting cap on top of the fuse of the smoke grenade and ignites it. All of this happens inside a metal tube. The tube itself is sealed in the bottom and top with aluminium foil. On top of each tube is three big holes from wich the smoke will come out.

After test results:
- Electric ignited (no open flame)
- Metal tubes no sparks exit.
- Final smoke ignition after grenade fuse made a 2mm hole in the alu-foil tube cover. Only smoke exit. No sparks or parts exit tube.
- Tube did get slightly hot.
- No damage to vehicle.

(Will offcourse not be installed unless approved by BE)

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9461/dsc0007iv.jpg
Best regards, Naitzo.
GOA Norway.
B9- Poldavian 1st Mechanized. Driver
B10- Poldavian 21st Mechanized. Driver
B11- Ravens Guerilla, Mechanized "Panzer Comp", Squad 2. Driver
B12- Engine failure, did not attend.
B13- lol
[LB4LG]

NIN
Berget Crew
Berget Crew

Post by NIN » 17 Jun 2012, 01:05

Sounds interesting, and totally doable, be sure to show the system at the GM tent to get it approved when you get the BAVS mounted.
Churn/HQ Berget 11
Gamemaster Berget 9-10
GM Spetznas Berget 5
Master SF, Berget 3

warnerfjord
Private
Private

Re: Smoke grenades

Post by warnerfjord » 09 Jan 2013, 22:18

I understand the problem about not burning down the forest!
but all are grownup and i hope can be responsible about there actions. but if not i don´t think its oki to ban them.
Its not Forbidden to use them in sweden so ma by the GM can find a solution? like thay did whit the fire in camps,
only on locations that are cleared by the GM, so why not make Brigt RED/Orange Fire pits in Strategic locations so players can run up light one up and put it there. Then the game can get more dynamic, and mark them on the map.

I think this is the best way.

Berget 11: GCT SIDU
Berget 12: BP

Creep
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Smoke grenades

Post by Creep » 10 Jan 2013, 18:46

On one occasion on B10 even a GM-smoke set the forest floor on fire... :? luckyly we noticed it when it was still tiny and could put it out.....

'nuf said

Cheers, Creep
creep
-----
B9 - UN Forces