The orange deadrag

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
Spof
Berget Crew
Berget Crew

The orange deadrag

Post by Spof » 06 May 2009, 15:18

I played a game down i Prage last weekend, and in one of my teams first encounters we shot down a squad of enemy players. Our line where stretched out for about 100 meters and during the heat of firefight we where not able to inform all soldiers on our side the current status on the enemy.

One enemy that was "killed" walked infront of that entire line and was shot again and again by players that did not know he was "dead".

He was really mad and screamed and cursed the players that shot him again. This would have been avoided if he would have used his orange "dead-rag" while walking.

So my summary is:

Allways use your deadrag to avoid this kind of situations and yell "im hit" or "dead man walking" while moving throght narrow forrest while going to respawn.
Veteran Gamemaster.

-" Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys... look upon them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even untill death."

WhiteAce
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by WhiteAce » 07 May 2009, 00:30

Good word Spof,

If the firefight is TO intens, you can always lay down on the ground, face down and your deadrag on top of you :D

Brujo
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Post by Brujo » 07 May 2009, 01:02

My motto, if it aint orange, shoot until orange 8)
B5 - Soviet VDV Battalion Commander
B6 - NATO Battalion Commander
B7 - Orlov's Plt CO
B8 - Poldavian 3rd Mountaineers
B10 - Poldavian 15th Sappers Commander
Airsoft Klub Salamander - Slovenia

conger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by conger » 07 May 2009, 09:45

There'll always be some who won't get it ... and will not use the 'deadrag' and then get all upset when they're shot again. No sympathy from me .... Darwin rules.

Gosh, I'm in a positive mood today

Great OP

Conger Out
B7 NATO Foxtrott 2:2 Squad Leader
Keep it slow and silent but when in contact, loud and violent!

StillAlive
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StillAlive » 07 May 2009, 10:09

a lightweight orange cap makes a wonderful wounded marker. you just put it on your head on top of your existing one. it wont' work with helmets, but these are rare commodity anyhow. something like this:

B10: NAF 3rd Rangers
B9: NAF 3rd Rangers, BRAVO 4
B8: NAF 5th, HAWK 3
B7: NATO, INDIA 2
B6: NATO, INDIA 1

Panzergraf
Major
Major

Post by Panzergraf » 07 May 2009, 18:21

Brujo wrote:My motto, if it aint orange, shoot until orange 8)
Not a good motto, IMHO...

Back when I started playing, Deadrags were an unknown concept. They weren't introduced here until last year or something.

Now, there are many good things about deadrags, as you said, it makes it easier to see who's dead and awaiting medics, and who's prone and waiting to shoot you.

But still, we managed without them, by reading body language.

If the guy who was shot while walking back and forth had held his gun over his head or in a non-threatening situation, then he shouldn't have been shot, rag or no rag.

If people start relying too much on deadrags, they'll stop reading even the most obvious body language and they won't listen for people calling "hit!", and this is a very very bad thing. Because some times people lose their deadrags, and even at the best of times, it often takes a while to pull it out of your pouch or whatever. And some times, if it's dark or you are partially concealed, then the rag might not be visible.

So the deadrag is usefull and nice to have, but please don't rely on it too much. Use clear and understandable body language and yell out loud when you are hit. Also watch out for your opponents doing the same, don't be an asshat who empties an entire magazine into a guy because he fumbled for his deadrag.

conger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by conger » 07 May 2009, 21:20

If your point Panzergraf, is that dead rags should not become the single and only signal a player uses when hit, then I agree fully with you.

However, I challenge your comment "....but please don't rely on it too much ....". I actually would go as far as to counsel all players to actually look out for a deadrag and respect what it means.

I think the deadrag IS the way to go 'cos reading body language is hit and miss ..... OK ...gun over your head ... sure no argument ... but beyond that, I'm afraid there's too much room for misreading the body language.

Especially with the numbers of players coming to Berget 2009 for all over the world

A clear method to identify 'hit' players simply is a must in the opinion of this airsoft player.

Respectfully

Conger Out
B7 NATO Foxtrott 2:2 Squad Leader
Keep it slow and silent but when in contact, loud and violent!

Trasher-HU
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Trasher-HU » 07 May 2009, 22:04

Panzergraf wrote:But still, we managed without them, by reading body language.
And some people really like to exploit that body language.

They play the "I'm just walking around innocently, you see I must be dead" thing. Then they shoot or knife you at the right moment.

There is nothing to misunderstand or exploit with deadrags.
It's on your melon or off.

If you lost your deadrag, sling your rifle to your back, remove the magazine, hands up in the air, and shout "dead men walking" or "I'm dead" repeatedly.
B6 - NATO, Fox2, mech QRF
B7 - Orlov mercs, Bravo2, medic
B8 - Poldav 3rd Mtn, mech QRF driver
B9 - Poldav 3rd Mtn. recon, Romeo-2 SL
B10 - Poldav 21st Mech Sappers, SL

STUNTMAN
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by STUNTMAN » 07 May 2009, 22:07

I'm gonna use this one:

It's red/orange and very warm to the head in cold days.
Also, it's reversible, so in game black after beeing shoot, red.

STUNTMAN
BERGET VETERAN:

B5 - Allied Forces - Mech Brigd Echo Coy.
B6 - Nato Forces - Mech Brigd Foxtrot Coy
B7 - Nato Forces - Foxtrot Coy.
B8 - NAF 23rd - Foxtrot Coy
B9 - NAF 6th -Foxtrot Coy
B11 - GCT Taskforce SIDU - Foxtrot Coy

meathead
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Deadrag

Post by meathead » 07 May 2009, 22:40

Well its clear in the rules.

http://www.berget-events.com/?page=even ... erget7&s=4

NOTE!
You must bring your own wounded-flag to Berget and it must be orange. Make sure the size is atleast 30x20 cm. You must pull it out of your pocket/vest when waiting for a medic.

So if somebody does not have a orange dead rag he will be dancing and BB:s will fly around him.

/Meathead
OPCR 2,3 / B5, B6,B7
B8 - Not playing

Eldoriath
Captain
Captain

Post by Eldoriath » 08 May 2009, 12:38

I think the dead rag koncept is really good and usefull, but even though i usually shout "Dead man walking" every now and then if i know enemies are about, since the dead rag might not be visible from all angles when walking. Also, slinging weapon onto your back helps people get the idea.
B5. Russia.
OC2. Militia.
B6. NATO, Bravo coy, 3rd Plt commander
B7. Milos tigers, Sibiria coy, 3rd Plt commander
B8. Poldavian Psy-Ops, Plt commander
B9. UN, Coy commander

Vanguard
Private
Private

Post by Vanguard » 08 May 2009, 12:45

Trasher-HU wrote:
They play the "I'm just walking around innocently, you see I must be dead" thing. Then they shoot or knife you at the right moment.
Question: would you take that hit from someone who does that? I wouldn't! I'd say "Go F**k Yourself Mate!" and play on. What we all must remember is that Airsoft is a Gentlemens game, and therefore we must act accordingly. Someone who doesn't act gentlemanly won't ever get my respect. Or, if unsure, Take aim and ask.

Sure the rules are clear, still someone might lose his/her rag during the game. That person might get shot at aswell, but not unreasonably many hits if that person acts as, and yells hit again. In this instance both the shooter and person being hit must accept that "shit happens", just make sure it isn't more shit than necessary.

That's my oppinion anyhow!
Vanguard of Switchblade Enforcers.

MrMedic
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by MrMedic » 08 May 2009, 14:58

This video illustrates some "best practices" when it comes to handling deadrags in a combat situation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6kudMN0L_c

Almost everyone who is hit uses their orange deadrag. The one guy who doesnt is face down on the ground. Or walks off with his gun on top of his helmet. I doubt if anyone will mistake him for a live player.

Do note at 2.07 the medic who lies down and puts his gun on the ground before starting to treat his patient, that could easilly be mistaken for "I'm out", but since the orange rag is used throughout anyone can see that he is still in the game.

If the other wounded guys had just tried "body language" it would have been almost impossible to tell the difference between the live medic and the wounded.

In these mixed up intense battles a good, big and very visible deadrag will save a lot of unnecesary pain and frustration.

Cosmo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Cosmo » 21 Jun 2009, 08:09

Is it ok if we use one of these as a deathrag in case we lose our own?
B10 - NAF23 - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon - Second Squad
B9 - NAF6 - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon
B8 - NAF23 - Foxtrot Company - Third Platoon - Bravo Squad
B7 - NATO - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon - Bravo Squad

hokke
Private
Private

Post by hokke » 21 Jun 2009, 08:20

BE crew have been using yellow vests. Vehicle eqp. stores like "Mekonomen" and "Biltema" here in .se might has the same kind of vest but in bright orange.

According to www.mekonomen.se there is a store in Härnösand.

(Also stores with alot of running gear might have a slip-over version.)