A question for the snipers....

Discuss about your experiences concerning guns & equipment
Sparky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

A question for the snipers....

Post by Sparky » 01 Nov 2009, 00:00

...or anyone who has experience using bolt action guns.

I love using my m15a4 but I'd like to try out the role of sniper, and would like some advice on a non expensive rifle to practice with and see if it's something i want to continue with. A Cheytac m200 is nice and all but a bit much for an experienced sniper :? something more like a TSD / UTG mk96?

any help for a noob marksman would be appreciated
'Airsoft is a lot like drinking. It starts off with just a few shots, but before you know it you're lying on the ground yelling for help.'

Trasher-HU
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Trasher-HU » 01 Nov 2009, 00:23

There is no such thing as a cheap bolt action sniper rifle...

Your best bet is a spring-operated JG BAR or TM VSR upgraded with PDI / Laylax / Edgi / Polarstar parts. Gas rifles may look nice and dandy, but (regardless of price tag or what some people will say) they're way too inconsistent for serious sniping without an external HPA rig (which is $150-250 alone).

Berget is not the best place to try out the role of a sniper with a bolt action. Without proper tactics and skill you will be badly outgunned since you will encounter large groups of opfor. I'd recommend a TM (or clone) M14 instead which is one of the most accurate AEGs and has firepower.

This comes from a guy who is sniping with different bolt actions for nearly 3+ yrs now. I lugged a 570 fps VSR at B6 and will do again at B8.
B6 - NATO, Fox2, mech QRF
B7 - Orlov mercs, Bravo2, medic
B8 - Poldav 3rd Mtn, mech QRF driver
B9 - Poldav 3rd Mtn. recon, Romeo-2 SL
B10 - Poldav 21st Mech Sappers, SL

Sparky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Sparky » 01 Nov 2009, 00:39

thanks for the quick reply. i wouldnt ever buy a 'cheap' gun, but 'cheap' and 'non expensive' are not the same. i dont want to buy a chinagun that will disentegrate or the bolt jam after 5 shots :(

whatever i buy at this stage it's purely to play around with at my local site to see if a support / sniper role is something i'd like to do, before seriously investing the money into something 'hardcore'. the CA M15A4 i used last year was ace and i may well bring that again

in the meantime, i'll look into a Bar-10 to play around with, and see if I enjoy the role before sinking money into upgrades

thanks for the advice
'Airsoft is a lot like drinking. It starts off with just a few shots, but before you know it you're lying on the ground yelling for help.'

Cosmo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Cosmo » 01 Nov 2009, 02:36

Just remember that being a sniper is a lot more then just having a sniper weapon. It's a way of playing, it's a way of moving around and thinking about the situation at hand and using specific gear. If you just want a bolt action for precise shots while still carrying on with your infantry duties, sure, but i that generally falls in the designated marksman role, and not a 'sniper' per se.

Still, Thrasher's idea is sound. Get a JG Bar, they are perfect VSR clones and they definitely will get you down the right road if you want to keep on upgrading it. But keep in mind, upgrading a boltie to perfection sometimes costs even more then an AEG.
B10 - NAF23 - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon - Second Squad
B9 - NAF6 - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon
B8 - NAF23 - Foxtrot Company - Third Platoon - Bravo Squad
B7 - NATO - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon - Bravo Squad

Sparky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Sparky » 01 Nov 2009, 15:06

you're right, i had completely overlooked the fieldcraft aspect of it :o

oh well, even the best had to start somewhere

Luc
Private
Private

Post by Luc » 01 Nov 2009, 21:14

Cosmo wrote:But keep in mind, upgrading a boltie to perfection sometimes costs even more then an AEG.
You have ment PTW not AEG???
If guns kill people then
cars make people drive drunk
pencils misspell words
forks and spoons make people fat

Alex_y
Newbee
Newbee

Post by Alex_y » 15 Feb 2010, 10:48

Hi,
If I'm not way too late in suggesting that, why don't you try an AEG rifle instead of a bolt action one? SR-25 makes a perfect tool of the trade, A&K one in really affordable, the only problem is that it comes with a high cap and the mid caps are a bit too expensive(around 22 dollars excluding P&P). The only additional suggestion is to invest in a good scope(the ones for .22 rifles and usually perfect for airsoft purposes - I am using Plinker .22 by Barska) and a bypod, and/or make a couple of sniper socks (a standard sock filled with sand).
Than you should get yourself a copy of FM 23-10(available on amazon.co.uk) or similar literature. Than just take the book and the rifle to the field and practice, practice, practice.

Oh and something more - you'd better replace the fire selector of the rifle with one from M16/M4 if you want to increase the reаlism, because for some pretty strange reason the weapon has an automatic firing option unlike the real Knight Arms rifle.

Tech
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Tech » 17 Feb 2010, 19:10

Hi
Im thinking of taking an AEG and a bolt action sniper rifle (L96) to Berget.

Any opinions and information would be great.

Sebbe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Sebbe » 18 Feb 2010, 19:20

...Good for you?

You may bring what rifles/pistols you want really. As long as they fit in the rules.
B7- NATO, Bravo Coy, 2'nd Platoon, 1'st Squad
Crapgame wrote:Put a sticker on it that says, "shoot me im with B5"

Alex_y
Newbee
Newbee

Post by Alex_y » 19 Feb 2010, 15:18

Tech wrote:Hi
Im thinking of taking an AEG and a bolt action sniper rifle (L96) to Berget.

Any opinions and information would be great.

Тhere is the "extra load to carry in combat" issue(weapons, mags and ammo, since I suspect the sniper rifle would use heavier BB's) and it would be interesting to see what would happen if you need to move from one firing position to another, while trying not to be noticed. Оn the other hand an M4 or an MP-5 would probably help you defend yourself in case of need. In case you can team up with somebody to act as a spotter probably it would be better to leave the AEG to him and carry a pistol besides the sniper rifle.