What to do if it rains.

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 23 Jun 2010, 10:19

Not really the thread, but as people are asking. 3rd pol hit the ranger base area with 3 platoons, and 2 ekstra teams. So about 100 guys. We where joined later by several platons from 1st, but I do not know how many they were. And I am glad there was so few defenders, as we sufferd about 66% casualties.....As for the rain, my base was told rain was comming, and made the camp ready. Problem solved. The SAS have a saying, "where one man drowns a nother man enjoyes a Swim" My men took a swim ;)
"go to your God like a soldier!"

Vixen (RAG-CMF)

Post by Vixen (RAG-CMF) » 23 Jun 2010, 10:44

ReconProG wrote: us Rangers were in the field the whole time, no matter the circumstances.
Thank you ReconProG for setting the record straight.

Losolos
Major
Major

Post by Losolos » 23 Jun 2010, 11:25

hmm ..

Rangers took longer off game time i remember.. also 5th NAF .. been in their camp 02.10 on Friday and the whole base was offgame at 0200 so my knifekills didnt work ;)

rain is only water .. we need it 8)
B5-B17 on duty
B18 yellow Crow

Arbiterman
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Arbiterman » 23 Jun 2010, 11:33

Tiger_1 wrote:We where joined later by several platons from 1st, but I do not know how many they were.
It's was a part of 1st Poldavian 3rd Russian Coy, approximately 2 of 3 platoons, 70 men strong. We've taken the crossroads on a force recon mission two hours before the final attack on rangers base. Actually, we had no plans at all about rangers base. But after some recon and taking a chance I've decided to ask mountaineers for a simultaneous attack. I think that I was talking to you, Tiger.

You was supposed to strike from north-west with 40 minutes ETA, when we were contolling the road from the south and south-east perimeter. Rangers managed to push us back at the time of your arrival, so at the time you started your attack it was no more then 15 men from our coy near the base. And at the same time enemy artillery hit us really hard on the crossroads. But right after respawn we've moved all we had on rangers leaving crossroads undefended that was againts our primary orders to hold that TP.

Fortunatly we won the jackpot :)

And I'm thankful to you Tiger, and all mountaineers for what we've done there.

And ofcourse you rangers got balls too! Building that base, holding it for 30 hours... you guys are hard changers for sure!

Rhyn0
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rhyn0 » 23 Jun 2010, 12:53

Near the end we joined the fight with a DRP force of 10 men from psyops 3rd coy, with which we have scouted for 5 hours the whole N And NE of the map for the ranger base. We came from the north, managed to sneak in 25 meters behind a ranger line of defence which was facing towards the camp/crossroads. We engaged, took out a few, then joined with isolated elements of 1st and 3rd, took out the last 2 bunkers, mopped up the survivors and took the respawn and base.
we haid one wounded(me) hit by friendly fire while storming the last bunker.

We were really impressed with the bunkers and defenses of the rangers base, really good cover and overlapping fields of fire, with great cammo(moss). that must have been a hell of a fight..

I can confirm there was no rain yet, just occasionql drops and light drizzle.
B7- Milo's Tigers, Sq.L
B8- 15th Pold. Psyops, "Bash", Coy Cmdr.
B9- Pold. 3rd, Recon plt. ldr
B10- Pold. Force Recon "Odin's Ravens" Cmmdr
B11- HVIU Operative/Guyana Border Police(Cpt. Garcea)
B12- GCT Rangers-Engineer
B13- GCT Paras Engineer/AT guy
B14- NAF Fathom Grunt/AT guy

Svansst?mper
Private
Private

Post by Svansst?mper » 23 Jun 2010, 18:56

back to the rain - I think it´s great you "veterans" give away some tips about how to prepare oneself in case of bad weather. It might sound easy, but that's just not always the way things are in real life...

I was one of the guys who had to go home early, but I must say that it feels a bit unfair to be treated as an weakling because of it. Some people here seem to think that airsoft is about being a soldier and being an expert of survival, while many of us are not - if I had been, I would´ve prepared myself differently. And since I don't get paid for being a hobby-soldierwannabe, I don't have to get myself pneumonia either ;)

Waking up in a overflooded tent with all my spares soaked and the sleeping bag wasted there wasn't much left to do but to go home, and I was very dissapointed because of it. I have gotten sick since anyway though, darn it :P

Making mistakes is a way learning (at least for me), and it's hard to be best if you haven't tried doing it first, right?
Berget is unclear to a begginer when it comes to what is provided, but now I know that the tent is merely just that - and not always put in a good place.

So, for the next time and as a remainder for any newbees like myself: preparation against stuff like heavy rainfall is important as berget only gives you very basic commodities.
(and a kiosk. I was quite surpised by it, but hey, the burgers where great)

Also, it wouldn't harm with a good way of drying stuff, since that would've helped my personal disaster - however, that is another thing and with better packing, good rainprotection and so forth it may not be an issue either.
Just too bad I didn't realise it before going, so more info there perhaps, or did I just miss it?

Anyway, thanks for your advices,

cheers

/Bartosz
TAILSTOMPER aka SVANST?MPER

Berget8: Poldavian 1st inf, 2 coy, 2nd plt, squad Foxtrot

Eldoriath
Captain
Captain

Post by Eldoriath » 23 Jun 2010, 20:02

Actually there was a lot of talk about that it was going to rain on friday and saturday. Always a good idea to check the weather and then pack rain-clothes, warm clothes and stuff anyways even if it says it will be 20-25 all the time with no rain and only sun.
B5. Russia.
OC2. Militia.
B6. NATO, Bravo coy, 3rd Plt commander
B7. Milos tigers, Sibiria coy, 3rd Plt commander
B8. Poldavian Psy-Ops, Plt commander
B9. UN, Coy commander

Rhyn0
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rhyn0 » 23 Jun 2010, 22:48

we got soaking wet as well several times as well.. we simply built a fire in a coveored area and crouded really close to it,drying the clothes on ourselves, then we went out again and guys too tired or cold stayed and tended the fire and dried spare clothes for the rest of us as well.. we have some funny pictures, when the guys manage to upload them, roasting gloves over the fire on sticks (shish-glovebab).. and i think we lost a couple of tshirts, a pair of boots and pant that caught fire from being too close to the fire too long.
B7- Milo's Tigers, Sq.L
B8- 15th Pold. Psyops, "Bash", Coy Cmdr.
B9- Pold. 3rd, Recon plt. ldr
B10- Pold. Force Recon "Odin's Ravens" Cmmdr
B11- HVIU Operative/Guyana Border Police(Cpt. Garcea)
B12- GCT Rangers-Engineer
B13- GCT Paras Engineer/AT guy
B14- NAF Fathom Grunt/AT guy

Ukkolzi
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Ukkolzi » 23 Jun 2010, 23:07

One important thing along good rainwear are warm clothes, like a pullover, as it tends to get surprisingly cold when it pours. Wool or fleece are the best alternatives, as both keep you somewhat warm even when soaked.

Take many extra (wool) socks with you. It really helps the morale to change to dry socks (along with a cup of coffee)! Boots should be either Gore-Tex or well-greased leather footwear. A wise move would be to test them before the event. If your boots get completely soaked, stuff something like newspaper in them to absorb at least some moisture.

Also, if possible, I suggest bringing a Gore-Tex bivy bag to go alongside your sleeping bag. Was pretty glad I took one with me...

Infinity
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Infinity » 24 Jun 2010, 12:37

Most important thing when it rains:
-Wear your armband OVER you raingear!! People tend to forget to remove their armband before putting on their raingear.
MOUNTAINEEEEERSS!!!!

ReconProG
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by ReconProG » 24 Jun 2010, 14:08

I'd suggest wearing the raingear under the uniform. It prevents FF and it makes you warmer. The only downside is that your uniform shirt gets wet but in my experience - that's not much of a problem.
If at first you don't succeed, try again with an airstrike.
------------
JTF - Bulgaria
Berget 8 - NAF 3rd Ranger Bn., Dust Coy, Bravo Platoon

Gryffyd
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Gryffyd » 24 Jun 2010, 15:26

Losolos wrote:hmm ..

Rangers took longer off game time i remember.
Yep, we had a hard time getting an 'official' status of our base once it had been over-run, so we weren't sure if we should be using it or not (as a side note WhiteAce never left the base during the attack, we had him hidden away and no enemy found him, we also didn't use or respawn until the base had been cleared by NAF 23rd guys), so WhiteAce had the base declared off game until we found out. The no off game, rain, and the fact that we had no amenities except for water (our nearest toilet was in the NAF 5th I think) also meant that some of our guys were starting to get sick, so we opted for the 3am-9am off game as well, to give them time to sleep and get better.

On the topic of rain...

We were luckier with the rain than some, our ground mostly seemed to redirect the ground water away from the tents so apart from the numerous leaks of the tents our gear stayed relatively dry, I have seen photo's of others who had mini rivers running through their tents and I can see how it would have completely soaked their gear enough so they went home.

If our guys were leaving the base I also encouraged them to put their uniform shirt over the rain gear to make ID easier for both friend and foe.

Long live the humble poncho! :)
Gryffyd
Mystery Coy. CO
NAF 3rd Rangers.
Berget 8

Spacebert
Private
Private

Post by Spacebert » 24 Jun 2010, 16:03

I had my rucksack rainshield lying on the grond underneath my gear.
When it started raining I just pulled the cords on the shield, so the edges curled arround my gear.

For rainclothes I had a Arktis Rainshield underneath my Smock.
and a Goretex Dutch issued rainpants.

I never got wet. my gear stayed dry and I could keep cracking on.
Jag ar en delfintranare

B8- 38th LMR
Poldavian 3rd Mountaineers, 1st platoon

The one and only Dolfin Trainer!

Andy McClane
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Andy McClane » 25 Jun 2010, 00:38

We should all remember the 6 P's... Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Only if you bring the right stuff, you can adapt to the weather conditions!

And let's face it, it only rained for part of the night, and in the morning. Just a small part of Berget.

Junior
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Junior » 25 Jun 2010, 02:16

Andy McClane wrote:Only if you bring the right stuff, you can adapt to the weather conditions!
Right stuff?
I would bring so much more equipment if I wouldn't have to pay for the overweight.

BTW, does someone know if the shovels on NAF 5th were given by BE crew? They were a life saver.