B9 Radio and how to act within game

Discuss about all kinds of radio`s sutable for airsoft games.

At Berget 9, listening other side's radio communications should be::

Poll ended at 25 Apr 2011, 16:42

DENIED, all kind of spying/listening to other side should be denied by rules, because there is no way encrypt messages.
56%
ACCEPTED, getting intel from other side's radio conversations is important for game tactics and radio behavior, so it should be allowed by rules.
44%

Total votes: 62

Saveli_M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

B9 Radio and how to act within game

Post by Saveli_M » 26 Mar 2011, 15:42

Most of us does think that spamming/jamming other side radio frequencies is really, really annoying and bad behavior.

IRL military radios can use encryption etc. to keep radio channels open and secure, but because of most of civilian radios cannot do that, flooding channels, spying and other things are very easy to do, but not neccessary a good sportmanship.

On other hand, when channels are free to listen, people can or cannot say just anything on the radio, so people who make an effort code their messages somehow has a big advantage and can possibly act without being busted because talking too much on radio.

Anyway, I like to play a fairplay, so there is no option about jamming radio frequensies, because people may lose their minds for real, and do something stupid (afterall it's just a game).

Now, the question is about, should BE allow radio intel or keep it simply denied by rules.
THIS is not a offical BE-crew question, but a poll.
I hope BE crew would notice this as an infoline or feedback from us players :)
"Do not worry, I've got closegrinder right here!"
B8 - Poldavian 1st Inf. Medic / APC Crew
B9 - The FIRM / Zansian B04 / Van Crew
B10 - Zanzian "Black Guard" Infantry Btt.
B11 - GCT Taskforce / Echo-Niner
B12 - --- SPAM !!! ---

Igby
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Igby » 26 Mar 2011, 17:00

I think that denying it won't stop it from happening, just as some people don't take hits or not walking all the way to respawn to spawn.

I belive that commanders out of respect for one another don't listen in on the enemy radios, and just to be sure incase of someone do listening in I hope that my side speak in such a code that our enemy won't understand.
B5-10

Saveli_M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Saveli_M » 26 Mar 2011, 18:22

Come on people! Vote if you have not done it yet :wink:
B12 - --- SPAM !!! ---

skinner
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by skinner » 26 Mar 2011, 21:11

2 Saveli_M: please consider splitting the second option into two - listening+jamming is allowed or only listening is allowed but no jamming, since this will really make people crazy.
A riflescope reticle is also someone's point of view
Berget-8 - NAF 5th Infantry Battalion
Berget-9 - NAF 3rd Ranger Battalion
Berget-10 - NAF 3rd Ranger Battalion
Berget-12 - will wear Multicam

Saveli_M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Saveli_M » 26 Mar 2011, 22:48

skinner wrote:2 Saveli_M: please consider splitting the second option into two - listening+jamming is allowed or only listening is allowed but no jamming, since this will really make people crazy.
Well, I cannot do that anymore (cannot edit poll anymore), but let's say that if some people does consider "listening+jamming is OK", then please let us know your opinion.
Maybe there are some who really like this option, so we have to listen them also :)
B12 - --- SPAM !!! ---

alecu
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by alecu » 26 Mar 2011, 22:53

its lame to start scanning, we are playing soldier, and if we was soldier we would have radios and scrambled and other stuff.
B7 - NATO
B8 - NAF 23
B9 - NAF 6th Airborne
B10 - NAF 23rd Infantry Battalion
B11 - Taliban Tea Shop Owner
B12 - Taliban Inc.
--------------------
http://www.progear.ro

I.Kullberg
Corporal
Corporal

Post by I.Kullberg » 27 Mar 2011, 00:23

I think you should code manually all the messages you don't want your enemies to know. It adds realism if you don't scream secrets to the radiowawes, no build in coding system in any handheld radio can beat the modern computers of the enemy radio intelligence. Most situations come and go so quickly that the enemy has no real chance to use the info they might get anyway.
There is allso one cool thing in coding: If certain messages practically has to be coded, there must be codelists and capturing them is exremely fun! :wink:

I give my vote for the permission to listen all the channels. I think that it adds much to the role of the radio operator and the radio war becomes part of the game, more aspects -> more fun.

ron the slayer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by ron the slayer » 27 Mar 2011, 11:34

sorry, but in the militairy they use all kind of tactics to get intell from the enemy
that also include listening to radiofrq's

or do you not think that militairy listens to Taliban freq's to know what they're up to :?

so if you wanna play the game, it should be allowed
after all: it is about getting it as real as you can (especially in milsim units like 3RD Mountaineers or NAF Rangers )

just my 2 cents

ps: i think that about every decent pmr radio has a scramble function :P
Berget 5 :Spetsnaz
Berget 8 : 3rd Mountaineers
Berget 9 : 3rd Mountaineers
Berget 10: 3rd Mountaineers (obvious)

alecu
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by alecu » 27 Mar 2011, 13:05

From my personal point of view, i dont give any attention on to this matter, as at berget, there ar to few people who is speaking romanian, and we are using our own frequency, not standard PMR Channels.

There is no better and faster way to scramble my comms but using our language ;

But for the love of this subject i did not know that i am allowed to use radios outside PMR, :D

And yes any decent PMR Radio has a scramble function.

Alecu

LE: i would say NO to listening, because being allowed to listen is one button way of SPAMing that channel.

LLE: Would be interesting, that only HQ to listen to the enemys comms, that would give people interested in more ROLE PLAY then shooting bbs some role and some identity
Last edited by alecu on 27 Mar 2011, 13:11, edited 3 times in total.
B7 - NATO
B8 - NAF 23
B9 - NAF 6th Airborne
B12 - Taliban Inc.
--------------------
http://www.progear.ro

Waldo
Captain
Captain

Post by Waldo » 27 Mar 2011, 13:06

In RL you have special units which listen to enemy communications and try to decrypt it. In airsoft, everybody can listen to every channel without special equiptment or special training/education.
In my oppinion we (or BE-Crew) should find a compromise between the allowing spying and prohibit it.

For example it could be allowed for the HQ to listen to the enemy frequencies and prohibit it for the other soldiers. Of course there can also be ppl who will listen to the radio outside the HQ, but there are also ppl who are not taking their hits.

just my 2 cents.

P.S.: I'm absolutely against jamming. this is something that totally kills the fun and the purpose of having a radio.
B9: Pol. 320th Arty - Coy Cmd
B10: 45th Mountaineer Sappers ("Sapperneers") - Wiley 2-2
B11-B13: Serving the country
B14: UPIR - Righteous Employee

Robin-Hood
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Robin-Hood » 27 Mar 2011, 13:46

Waldo wrote:I'm absolutely against jamming. this is something that totally kills the fun and the purpose of having a radio.

I agree about jamming, as to listening. Well in real life you would have COMSEC guys trying to stop exactly that from happening. Maybe it could be done like the commander buying weapons he could buy the codes for the enemy comms and be allowed to listen to their command channel or something for like 20 minutes. Might be useful, might not be. Just an idea.

Ober-Lix
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Ober-Lix » 27 Mar 2011, 14:31

Should it come to scanmning and listening of enemy communications, there is always the possebillity of putting out fake or misleading messages.

But what would it do to the overall radio usage ? :?
B6 2nd Bat. CO NATO
B7 Batallion CO Milo´s Tigers
B8 Batallion CO NAF 5th Infantry
B9. Batallion CO NAF 1st Mech
B10 R&R
B11 lets see
War is the continuation of politics by other means. (Klausewitz)

freno
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by freno » 27 Mar 2011, 19:49

Ober-Lix wrote:Should it come to scanmning and listening of enemy communications, there is always the possebillity of putting out fake or misleading messages.

We still have our cellphones! Don´t forget my nr, chief! :-P
B5 - B12 Yes!
B13 - Mr. PINK
B14 - BBB - V.President
B15 - MIA
B16 - B17 Bartender
B18 - Crow

I.Kullberg
Corporal
Corporal

Post by I.Kullberg » 27 Mar 2011, 20:39

Ober-Lix wrote:Should it come to scanmning and listening of enemy communications, there is always the possebillity of putting out fake or misleading messages.

There are countless ways to identify real messages from fakes. "If first four words of the message don't start with letter "T" the message is fake", this kind of codes can change every half-hour. Again more things to make a radio operators game more interesting.

It's a good idea to limit listening enemy radio channels to HQ:s. There is still a chance that your message gets captured so coding is wise, but chaces of sabotage of radio communications by some regular jerk gets minimised. Sending fake messages could be used same way as artillery strikes or vehicle transports. Commanders coud "buy" the right to send a fake message from the Berget crew.

alecu
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by alecu » 27 Mar 2011, 22:33

or better learn, svengali - and you finnish with coding
B7 - NATO
B8 - NAF 23
B9 - NAF 6th Airborne
B12 - Taliban Inc.
--------------------