Date recommendation for 2013

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
EagleDriver
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Date recommendation for 2013

Post by EagleDriver » 09 May 2012, 16:37

I know it is early, but this was brought up during our preparations to go to Operation Irene this year.

As one of the few Americans who can make it to Berget, I would like to make a suggestion about the dates in 2013. For B9 and now B10, the ending occurs during an American holiday weekend celebrating our independence. It is a big holiday for family vacations and so I have to make large concessions to the family to be able to attend. But many Americans would like to attend and cannot. Part of it is the cost and travel time and a part is that Berget overlaps the holiday weekend.

I know it is just an American holiday and does not affect those outside of America, but if Berget in 2013 could be moved to earlier in June or later in July (second week in July, for example) then more Americans would be able to attend and experience Berget.

Thank you!
B9 NAF, 3rd Ranger Btn, 2IC B4 Company
B10 NAF Guy who talks all day to the cute girls serving the food in base.

Spof
Berget Crew
Berget Crew

Post by Spof » 09 May 2012, 17:14

This is surley a good suggestion but we have the following things to concider:

1.) The Swedish midsummer festival is the third weekend in june around the 20th. All Swedish women put flowers in their hair, get drunk and want to "mate". And even though we have the fighting spirit of Vikings... mating and drinking "snaps" is more important.

2.) Going closer to May 1st and 2nd week in June will mean much more risk of heavy rain and cold down to 5 degrees C.

3.) Early July is going into the Swedish "Best days of vacation" (when all berget crew and other swedes want to be on vacation after 1 years work.)

So which way you put it, last week in june or august is by my opinion the only options. :P
Veteran Gamemaster.

-" Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys... look upon them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even untill death."

jayod30
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jayod30 » 09 May 2012, 19:15

Spof wrote:This is surley a good suggestion but we have the following things to concider:

1.) The Swedish midsummer festival is the third weekend in june around the 20th. All Swedish women put flowers in their hair, get drunk and want to "mate". And even though we have the fighting spirit of Vikings... mating and drinking "snaps" is more important.

Hmmm, mating, drinking and airsoft, I couldn't imagine a better 2 weeks next year if I tried 8)
God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best.

B10-NAF-23rd Infantry-FOX2.3 Recon
B12 PMC UNISEC Sledgehammer 1.1

Truetrimix
Newbee
Newbee

Post by Truetrimix » 09 May 2012, 20:09

11 of February! Snow, cold, people start to "crack", skiing! That would give a good psychological effect to the game.

We finns would be in our element =)

(a taste of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZG6u-6a-zU&feature=plcp )

freno
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by freno » 09 May 2012, 20:33

February is often first month in sweden to drive snomobiles!!!

Another "good" suggestion" is to take ALL FAMILY to sweden, and during BERGET selebrate your holidays!!! :-P
B5 - B12 Yes!
B13 - Mr. PINK
B14 - BBB - V.President
B15 - MIA
B16 - B17 Bartender
B18 - Crow

Coffe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Coffe » 10 May 2012, 00:23

Truetrimix wrote:11 of February! Snow, cold, people start to "crack", skiing! That would give a good psychological effect to the game.

We finns would be in our element =)

(a taste of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZG6u-6a-zU&feature=plcp )
I think most scandinavians would be in their element during that time of the year. I may be a swede, but I damn sure don't complain over something so insignificant as when the temperature drops below -10 or -20 degrees celsius. In my book, those temperatures are downright pleasant compared to the hellish summermonths. :P

However, AEG's tend to "crack" a lot more than people do when the temperature starts to drop below -10 in my experience.

For starters, Li-Po batteries is a must have. Any NiMh or other Nickel-batteries start to get lower output in the cold (the RoF on all guns will go down).

Hop-up rubbers and buckings don't behave correctly when they freeze, leading to feeding problems and BB's getting stuck in the barrel.

Gasdriven sidearms risk freezing shut and even shatter when the freezing ambient temperature combined with the temperature reducing effects of the gas starts to take their toll.

Unless all guns and their parts are made from quality metals and plastics, parts tend to break/shatter a lot easier in general than normal. I actually had the trigger of one gun snap when we tried playing in -15 degrees celsius. (yes, that pissed me off something fierce when that happened)

So while I can certainly agree that a Berget game during february would be interesting (nothing beats hiking in heavy gear through deep snow in the freezing cold), it would suck being even less able than usual to trust your AEG to work properly.

Trasher-HU
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Trasher-HU » 10 May 2012, 01:07

February was lovely when I visited Sweden this year, I'd really like a winter Berget in -20, -30 Celsius. :lol:

B6 - NATO, Fox2, mech QRF
B7 - Orlov mercs, Bravo2, medic
B8 - Poldav 3rd Mtn, mech QRF driver
B9 - Poldav 3rd Mtn. recon, Romeo-2 SL
B10 - Poldav 21st Mech Sappers, SL

Panzergraf
Major
Major

Post by Panzergraf » 10 May 2012, 01:23

Considering how many players come badly prepared for simple rain or summer heat, I think hundreds of players might die of hypothermia if Berget was held in -30 celsius :P

Personally, I'd like it if Berget was moved to the second week of July or something. It would make attendance much easier for many of us :)
Veteran of 12 Berget Games
B6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
B18 - Red Mech

Walking is for plebs.

Waldo
Captain
Captain

Post by Waldo » 10 May 2012, 03:02

My two cents: Never change a running system :wink:
B9: Pol. 320th Arty - Coy Cmd
B10: 45th Mountaineer Sappers ("Sapperneers") - Wiley 2-2
B11-B13: Serving the country
B14: UPIR - Righteous Employee

NIN
Berget Crew
Berget Crew

Post by NIN » 10 May 2012, 08:58

We have had incidents where players suffered from hypothermia. I cannot see a scenario where you can have a large scale airsoft game during mid winter. Maybe if you kept it local and invitational only but from an organisers perspektiv its to dangerous for the individual and from a media standpoint.
Churn/HQ Berget 11
Gamemaster Berget 9-10
Head of security Berget 6-8r
GM Spetznas Berget 5
Master SF, Berget 3
Tjetcheny Rebels Berget 2
Project Assistant Berget 1

Hazardous
Captain
Captain

Post by Hazardous » 10 May 2012, 09:30

it's really fine, as it is now. Why blow a hole in a good pot?
It ends in that more and more people can't come.
Waldo wrote:My two cents: Never change a running system :wink:
-Mike
B8: NAF 3rd Ranger
B9: NAF 3rd Ranger - PlSgt
B10: NAF 3rd Ranger - PlSgt
B11: Head of Rico's bodyguards
B12: Blood Raven - 2IC
B13: IKAROS Cerberus - 2IC
B14: Arrival of my first born
B15: UPIR Command
B16: Merc

vinni
Colonel
Colonel

Post by vinni » 10 May 2012, 10:33

Just as long as the game doesn't interfere with the exams, i'm sure the players that are still in college will be fine with it :P

*cough* B8 *cough*
B6: NATO
B7: Orlov Corp
B8: Poldavian III Mntrs
B9: Poldavian III Mntrs
BX: Poldavian BRF
BXI: Blood Raven Recon
BXII: Blood Raven CO
BXIII: Cerberus BAT CO
BXIV: UPIR Senior Management
BXV: UPIR HQ resident cripple
BXVI: UPIR old fart
BXVII: GFM HQ
BXVIII: GFM HQ

Naitzo
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Naitzo » 13 May 2012, 05:17

Berget during winter? Sounds good to me. But i dont think there would be -30c in that area :)
Best regards, Naitzo.
GOA Norway.
B9- Poldavian 1st Mechanized. Driver
B10- Poldavian 21st Mechanized. Driver
B11- Ravens Guerilla, Mechanized "Panzer Comp", Squad 2. Driver
B12- Engine failure, did not attend.
B13- lol
[LB4LG]

WhiteAce
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by WhiteAce » 13 May 2012, 12:22

Though nice suggestions playing in rain or even snow, most of the current (almost) 2000 players really have no idea how to prepare, lest play in such circumstances.
Rain can be devastating if temperatures drop pretty rapid with it in Sweden. Like NIN I have seen hypothermia occur and it's no fun to for organizers to see this happen.
So safety is top priority for organizers and thus no option.

I do however agree on the 2 weeks earlier notice... combining the flowers of the home-front with the front of "war" seems a good choice :P
Berget 5: 2IC Spetsnaz.
Berget 6: CoyCO NATO Golf coy.
Berget 7: PtnCO 2nd platoon 2nd coy
Berget 8: 3rd Rangers Battalion:
Berget 10: Co of NAF forces