Dangerous animals on the Island?

Topics and things concerning this game.
STUNTMAN

Post by STUNTMAN » 24 Jan 2007, 20:27

One place where we play in Portugal it's the Tick land!

I've got a fantastic solution... once I finnish the game, I go home and give a long and warm hug to my dogs! No ticks at all! :lol:

Now really... just a carefull look after the game to see all our hideen and warm parts to find ticks on us!

Until now, after playing 6 years in that place, no one got sick!

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » 25 Jan 2007, 10:36

but i was looking forwart to go to baby bears and take them home as my personal teddy 8) :lol:

here in switzerland the ticks are pretty common.
in the area where i play they can make you seriously ill, you can die from it... they carry the virus for meningitis...
but there is a simple solution: you should cover your legs and all with clothes. put the trousers into your socks and tape it if it doesnt hold nicely, so ticks cant bite your legs... use everywhere where the skin is unprotected some anti-tick-and-moskito-spray... you can also put that onto your clothes, that will scare the ticks even more...
thats how i do, and this way i never even got a tick 8)

cheers

Eldoriath
Captain
Captain

Post by Eldoriath » 29 Jan 2007, 14:57

Regarding bears and wolves they are generally more (or atleast as much) afraid of us as we are of them. Bears do rarely attack humans, might do if you get between the mother and the baby bears, but i haven't heard of an accident with bears that has lead to death. Even though: If a bear gets in it's mind to attack you: Lay down on the ground face down and protect the head. Generally they will leave you alone after a while, especially if you have a helmet i can imagine ;)

Wolves... Well, never actually heard of them attacking humans. Can imagine they can do to protect their pupps or if you provoke them. But honestly: If you leave them alone, they will leave you alone. Same goes for bears of course.

As far as ticks go: Every night when you and some mate go to sleep you can have a "check-up" on each other searching for ticks. It's simple and suffices.

Mercy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mercy » 30 Jan 2007, 09:51

Well, in any case, we're all armed right?
Team Bulletproof Secretary

3:e Pluton - Bas.S?k [Charlie-Sierra] 2:2

JJ

Post by JJ » 30 Jan 2007, 14:18

There are no beers or wolfs on Hemsö (the island where B5 will be played).

IceRaiser

Post by IceRaiser » 30 Jan 2007, 15:45

No beer!? not even at the "Free beer night"? :shock:
Think you mean Bears, right? :D

Hammerhead

Post by Hammerhead » 30 Jan 2007, 16:27

Acctually, Bears can wander long stretches and are good swimmers. So even the risk is slim a bear _could_ make way to the island. Less risk of finding wolves since there are 200 in the whole of Sweden, and no packs live around Härnösand. They keep further in-land...

Eldoriath, thought most people knew. A hunter was killed by a brown bear in the north of sweden about 2 years ago or so, a friend knows the wife of the victim.

mr.mandrake

Post by mr.mandrake » 30 Jan 2007, 18:40

I´ve also heard of a bear wandering around the island Härnö, where also some of the gameplay will take part. Although even if there is a bear, the chances (or risk) of actually encountering a bear is very small as they tend to stay away and keep to themselves.

And when it comes to what you shall do if you are unlucky enough to encounter one. Do not lie down and cover your head. Better to keep the bear in sight and act accordingly to what the bear do. There are numerous theories about what you should do and not do, but there seems to be no full proof actions regarding an encounter. Climbing up in a tree is a popular one that just doesn´t work as bears are exellent climbers. To make noises or shouting might scare them off if the bear hasn´t allready scenced your presence, but it won´t work if the bear feels it´s in control of the situation. If the bear will feel threatened it will also fight for it´s life. Bears are also good runners, so as a last resort, or if it attacks you, you can probably outrun it. Just remember to drop your food as you run as it might be the reason for the "attack" in the first place. :roll:

NIN
Berget Crew
Berget Crew

Post by NIN » 31 Jan 2007, 07:47

A Bear can run up to 50km/h can you? Otherwise a good post. And the Bear in Härnösand has not been seen for quite a while. Maybe it has gone to Hemsön?
Churn/HQ Berget 11
Gamemaster Berget 9-10
Head of security Berget 6-8r
GM Spetznas Berget 5
Master SF, Berget 3
Tjetcheny Rebels Berget 2
Project Assistant Berget 1

tom_sk

Post by tom_sk » 31 Jan 2007, 08:24

you could outrun him, if you run downhill on really steep hill. bears have shorter and weaker front paws and have troubles running down the hill (with all the weight balancing and stuff they tend to run slowly). I would not try it myself though.
anyway, since there is such a slim chance to meet bear, i would not consider it as threat.

Kollen
Private
Private

Post by Kollen » 31 Jan 2007, 20:54

i am more concerned about the Falukorv. :shock:
three-legged beast, the "Falukorv" (Haggis Scans Assymetris)
they look like an oversized sausage and is easily misstaken for one. even thoe they are not agressive they do become toxic after just a few days of sunbathing and there are cases where unexperienced campers, who misstook them for food, ate them and died :shock:

Torak

Post by Torak » 01 Feb 2007, 01:15

Absolutely, yes. They can turn vicious.

The Omen

Post by The Omen » 02 Feb 2007, 11:11

Dangerous Animals In The Area

The Swedish adder ("huggorm") isn't as venomous as the types in southern Europe; while fatalities do occur, deaths from kicking horses are more common. A bite generally causes unpleasant but not life-threatening pain and shock.

Ticks can be removed with a variety of devices, available at any pharmacy; however, to minimise the risk we recommend that you wear trousers in game.

Wolves have been seen in Västernorrland, but not near the coast.

Bears have also been seen in the region; they are however very shy, and the chance of one making its way out to Hemsön is very slim.

The only other dangerous animal you may encounter in the area is the elk; they walk over the ice in winter and swim in summer. Much the same rules apply here; leave them alone and they'll most likely leave you alone.

Use common sense; generally, animals are more frightened of you than you are of them.

Hopefully this will clear up a few question marks about Swedish fauna.